The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhaseOne 150mm - LS or Standard

colinlee

Hi - has anyone tried the new PhaseOne 150mm LS yet? I'm looking to add the 150mm to my bag but would like to know how the IQ of the LS compares to the existing D lens (which I've read is a stellar lens!).

Thanks

Col.

goesbang

Hi Colin,
I recently had the honour of shooting the demos at the Phase One IQ180 global dealer launch event in Dubai.
I own the 150/2.8D and this is my alltime favourite portrait lens.
My impressions of the new 150/3.5 Leaf-shutter lens from Schneider are that it is superbly sharp, very well balanced (I shot with and without the v-grip), very fast and accurate to focus, has a lovely soft bokeh, is a little less contrasty than the 150/2.8D (a plus in a portrait lens) and also very easy to use in manual focus mode. Illumination is surprisingly even including wide open.
Most importantly, with a sync speed of 1/1600th sec, I could easily shoot outdoor flash-lit portraits at wide apertures. I already do a lot of this with my 110/2.8LS but it is not as long as I would like. The 150 suits me way better.
I will be selling my 150/2.8 and replacing it with this lens.
'Nuff said?

Cheers,

goesbang

Graham,
As planned, I replaced my 150D with the LS and frankly, couldn't be happier. The LS is more compact and I prefer the new metal hood.
I am told the two lenses are optically identical and the LS is slightly slower due to the max size of the shutter. I didn't do any side-by-side tests under identical conditions but I still have the impression the LS is a little less contrasty, which I view as a plus. I'm guessing internal reflections around the shutter cause this (if they are indeed optically identical). Regardless, my 150LS is unreservedly my alltime fave portrait lens.
Cheers,

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Both times I've compared them the 150D produced a file with more bite and a bit more crisp sharpness. The 150D is, without reservation, my favorite Mamiya lens and their sharpest design.

The 150LS is very good. But for your purposes (landscape without flash) I'd suggest the 150D unless pack weight/size is the same.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
He certainly has room for a pair -- nay a trio! -- of 150's in at least one of those bags he carries!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Both times I've compared them the 150D produced a file with more bite and a bit more crisp sharpness. The 150D is, without reservation, my favorite Mamiya lens and their sharpest design.

The 150LS is very good. But for your purposes (landscape without flash) I'd suggest the 150D unless pack weight/size is the same.
Thanks Doug - I think you're right. I'm not really going to be using the LS features in my type of shooting. I was curious as to whether the Schneider variant was sharper or perhaps had better/smoother OOF performance. It's a big step up in cost for no gain for my kind of use I think.

He certainly has room for a pair -- nay a trio! -- of 150's in at least one of those bags he carries!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
I like to think of it as being part of my workout regime. Ditto with the huge tripod. :ROTFL:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

The only lens that can contest my 150D is my 240LS!

MILESF

I have both lenses and would just say that my 150LS needs to be stopped down to f5.6/f8 to be really sharp and the 150mm Mamiya is much better at the wider apertures. IMO the 110LS is much better at wider apertures than the 150LS too.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

While we're on the subject of lenses, without trying to hijack this thread, what do users have to say about the 120 TS lens? It's likely my next purchase unless I finally bite the bullet and go to a tech cam.

Any opinions valued!

jagsiva

While we're on the subject of lenses, without trying to hijack this thread, what do users have to say about the 120 TS lens? It's likely my next purchase unless I finally bite the bullet and go to a tech cam.

Any opinions valued!
Bill, I really wanted to like that lens, but the mirror slap was so bad that I could never get anything sharp at low shutter speeds. At hand holdable shutter speeds, its great....But most applications for landscape would dictate use on a tripod.

The design of the tripod foot may have a lot to do with it. From what I understood when I looked at it, it was designed more for studio/flash work at higher shutter speeds than the typical use I would put it through. It think there were some threads from a couple of years ago on this.

I have seen the lens on sale here for as little as 3K, so if it works for you, could be good value. Cheers...

jagsiva

I should clarify, it was not just mirror slap as I had MUP on. It is likely the shutter that was causing the vibration.

jagsiva

...and one more thing, not that Dante needs any help around here, but the SK 120ASPH with its 150mm IC is just to die for :)