The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Wide Compact

Don Libby

I just finished writing about this on my blog and wanted to share here as well.

I still remember Michael Reichmann's article of the Cambo WDS which he titled "Working with the World's Most Expensive Digital Point-&-Shoot" http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/expensive-ps.shtml as this article lead me into the wonderful world of Cambo cameras. I also remember watching a later video of Mr. Reichmann leaning over the side of a rubber boat in the Artic capturing images with the WDS handheld.

Fast-forward to the Fall of 2008 and I've just returned from a 30-day shoot in Alaska using my Mamiya 645 and Phase One P30+. I decided on this trip that I wanted/needed a better system to capture my landscape images and decided on a technical camera. I contacted my friends at Capture Integration and asked to borrow a Cambo WDS to test. Everything was going smoothly until just before they were to ship the camera, lens and a P45+ to me; the WDS was now unavailable however they had a new in box WRS so that was shipped instead. I took the WRS, a Schneider 35mm lens and P45+ to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in October of 2008 and within a matter of hours my fate was sealed. I called Capture Integration and ended up keeping the WRS and lens and trading my P30+ for a new P45+ and have never looked back. Within 6-months of buying the Cambo I sold all my Mamiya gear to include the body and all the lenses. Later on I decided to test the WDS against the WRS and was then able o do so and wrote about it here. Again after testing the two side by side I still favored the WRS. All this brings us to the Cambo Wide Compact.

I've seen the Compact advertised on Cambo's website for sometime now however while there are page after page of information on the WDS and WRS with just as many images there is virtually nothing offered on the Compact; it's almost as if this camera was more myth than reality. This lack of information and the fact that I've not been shy about promoting Cambo lead me to want to try to get a Compact and see for myself what this camera was all about.

WRS versus the Compact.

WRS 6.10"x6.49" (155x165m) 1.2 kgs (42.32 ounces)
Compact 6.49"x5.90" (165x150m) 700 grams (24.69 (ounces)

The Compact is slightly over 1 pound lighter while being very close to the same physical size.

There are more differences between the WRS and Compact. The WRS offers both horizontal and vertical shifts while the Compact offers none. Both camera bodies use the same lenspanels so lens with the swing-tilt fit both.

I was very excited to test the camera and looked forward to doing so.

I received the camera last Monday (March 21st) and immediately set about to use it with my Schneider lenses and P45+. I need to step back a moment and explain what I use to capture my landscape images. As the Phase One P45+ needs a wakeup cable to turn on the back, I use a Kapture Group One Shot Cable Release (PHA-001). The One Shot connects the lens to the back and allows me by cocking the shutter and pressing the shutter release to communicate with the P45+ to wake it up for image capture. It's very easy and I've had no problems using this system.

The fly in the ointment is the integrated shutter release that comes with the Compact. It doesn't play well at all with the One Shot. I contacted Capture Integration and Cambo about this hoping that they have another cable that would work and today I received the following.

"The Copal shutter actually needs only a few millimeter to be triggered. The handgrip of the compact has been designed once to be operated with an internal cable release, operated with a simple short push of an index finger, instead of the long travel of an “original” traditional cable release operated with a thumb. That is what the customer base wanted. The first design was indeed with a normal long cable release, but that is impossible to operate with an index finger, as either you have to reach high to get there first and then have lot
of loose travel before final capture, while this way you can have instant capture, as they wished for.
If Kapture-Group has a product that requires much more “throw” than the integrated cable release of the handgrip offers, the only solution is
to use this cable outside of the integrated one, but as is, we can not use it internally. You can also ask Kapture Group for a cable release with a shorter throw. Sometimes designs are what they are for different reasons than applicable for others..."

So, with this news any hopes of a meaningful test are now gone.

All isn't lost however. The rest of the reply from Cambo included this...

"At the other hand, we have just introduced a set of wooden handgrips for the WideRS, which make handheld shooting much more comfortable than with the original aluminium grips. These wooden grips will take the original long-throw cable release also. http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item22479.html"

I want to state here that if I had been shooting with a Phase One P65 or one of the newer IQ backs I'd have had no problems as neither of these backs require a wakeup and I would have just connected the cable diretly to the lens and off I'd go.

Who do I think the Compact is best sutied for? I'd say someone who has a WDS and wanted a more compact camera and didn't need the ability of shifts.

I want to make it perfectly clear that the Compact is a well made camera and were it not for the problem I have with it not working well with the Kapture Group I'd like even more than I already do. Then again if I had a slightly newer Phae One back I wouldn't even know this was a issue.

I want to state here that if I had been shooting with a Phase One P65 or one of the newer IQ backs I'd have had no problems as neither of these backs require a wakeup and I would have just connected the cable diretly to the lens and off I'd go.

Who do I think the Compact is best sutied for? I'd say someone who has a WDS and wanted a more compact camera and didn't need the ability of shifts.

I want to make it perfectly clear that the Compact is a well made camera and were it not for the problem I have with it not working well with the Kapture Group I'd like even more than I already do. Then again if I had a slightly newer Phae One back I wouldn't even know this was a issue.

The Compact felt very good in my hands and I really like the idea of adding a wodden grip to the WRS. I've asked if the wooden handle will be somthing we might be able to add to a current WRS so stay tuned for the answer.

Even though I wasn't able to actually use the Compact I feel better because there now is at least more information and more images then before.

Last edited:

cng

Rene Rook of Cambo recently emailed me that the Wide RS had to be ordered with the wooden hand grips. I didn't follow up, but this suggests that the grips are permanent and it is not possible to interchange them (cf. Alpa). I'd be interested to know what you find out.

Below are images of the Wide RS with wooden hand grips, as well as the upcoming Special Edition model (featuring leather insert and wooden hand grips).

Appearance-wise, the RS becomes a completely different camera with the wooden hand grips, but no more or less gorgeous than with the standard black grips. I love the look of the prototype grips in the fourth image, which appear to be unvarnished/unsealed. I suspect that the wooden grips may add some extra weight though.

Don Libby

There was talk of being able to add wooden handles to the WRS when it was first introduced in 2008 not sure how this will all work out. Cambo's website lists the WRS1050 with the wooden handles.

I'm told that something is being worked on for the WRS however uncertain at this time what it'll be.

Don

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Capture Integration will be offering the wooden hand grips as an upgrade/service to existing bodies. Meaning you send us your body with metal hand grips and we'll return it to you with wooden hand grips. Cambo itself will not be offering this as a direct service. I cannot speak for other Cambo dealers.

I do not have an exact ETA, but they are on order, so we should be talking about weeks or months and not quarters or years. I cannot say if we will offer this service to international customers as that brings about a lot of tax/customs/duties/shipping issues. I do not have an exact turn around time but I think it's safe to say it will be in the 3-10 business day range - if for some reason a loyal customer had a need for rushed service we will most likely provide it.

Steve chimes in below to clarify the price.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

[getting some details clarified prior to posting]

I can clarify that our pricing for the handles (including installation on your camera) should be $949.

I can say that having held our Cambo WRS Camera with the handles installed, it is possibly even lighter. The handles themselves are amazingly light weight.

Steve Hendrix

cng

I can say that having held our Cambo WRS Camera with the handles installed, it is possibly even lighter. The handles themselves are amazingly light weight.Steve Hendrix
I stand corrected! :)

Since you gentlemen have actually handled a WRS with the wooden grips, what did you think ergonomics-wise? More/less comfortable, easier/harder to handhold, too bulky, no difference etc? Your personal preference?

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Since you gentlemen have actually handled a WRS with the wooden grips, what did you think ergonomics-wise? More/less comfortable, easier/harder to handhold, too bulky, no difference etc? Your personal preference?
We like them enough to order them in a batch, paying up front for them as inventory. In other words we put our money where our eyes were. :)

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

anGy

Hand grips are nice, but what about High Precision Focus ring for Cambo ?
Alpa and Arca have them but I would love to spare the extra cash in buying a WRS with HPF rather than an Alpa.
Anyone having infos about that ?

kdphotography

Gawd---I really don't need to see this right now. :)

Cambo WRS with wood grips would also be an acceptable ransom for Doug... :D

Don Libby

I could feel the weight difference in the Compact in my hands with lens and back installed. While the wooden handle makes it look larger it still is very near the same physical size of the WRS and is lighter.

I agree the new WRS1050 looks good however I can count on one hand the number of times I've shot it off tripod which isn't to say I would have done more it if felt differently with different handles.

I very firmly believe that tech camera belong on a tripod. That said I'll be contacting Dave G. to discuss the handle swap.

And here I was thinking I was writing about the Cambo Compact...:watch:

Don

Just had another thought - having slightly larger handles on the WRS will make it a little better when using gloves in cold weather.

Last edited:
S

Shelby Lewis

How much is the compact? ... as someone who's beginning to backpack, I'm always interested in a tech cam (but can't afford alpa!), I'd be interested in what these things cost.

thomas

i'd like to have 1 wooden grip on the right side of the WRS but no grip at all on the the left side ... but the grip should be user exchangable per application :) ...

lance_schad

Workshop Member
How much is the compact? ... as someone who's beginning to backpack, I'm always interested in a tech cam (but can't afford alpa!), I'd be interested in what these things cost.
Shelby
To give you an idea on pricing:

Cambo Wide Compact DS Body w/ Mamiya 645 Afd Mount (no lens) will run about $1599

Cambo Wide Compact w/ 35mm and Mamiya 645 Afd Mount wil run about $5199

L

cng

Cambo's website lists the WRS1050 with the wooden handles.
Don, I finally realised what you were referring to with the WRS1050, having only just seen that Cambo's listed the wooden grip WRS on their website.

Here I was thinking that I was letting everyone in on a big scoop by posting those images! :cool:

Don Libby

Shelby,

I liked the feel of the Compact however I wouldn't own one.

The main reason to own a technical camera is the extra ability it offers you such as rise and fall and shifts right and left. Add a swing/tilt lenspanel and there's little you can't do. Technical cameras are expensive however the lenses for them are even that much more; then again the image quality is superior.

Let me speak from the experience of using a Cambo..

Were it me starting out in the realm of technical cameras I would look for what would offer me the ability to obtain decent movements for as little cash as possible. The lenses that fit the first body will most likely fit the upgraded body as well.

Take a look at the WDS. The physical size of the WDS compared to the WRS is larger and weighs approximately 1 pound more (I believe I wrote about the different sizes and weights when I compared the two). The WDS does everything the WRS does in a slightly larger package costing several thousand dollars less. Of course if you can afford it go directly to the WRS and never look back.

The WRS and Compact are closely related in physical size with the WRS weighing 1 pound more. Of course it appears that with the removal of the metal handles and replacing them with wood the weight difference might be even less. I see the WRS has a Compact on steroids. By this I mean small size little overall weight plus the ability for movements - something lacking in the Compact.

If you decided to begin with the WRS you're still okay as any lens you pick up will work on all three bodies (the Compact will not accept a longer than 72mm lens).

I would contact Capture Integration to see what type of deal they can offer on both the WRS and the WDS and also speak to them about lens selection. My feeling is that the niche for the Compact is that of a person who has a WDS and wants something smaller and doesn't need the movements but wants to use the same lenses. I can't see using a Compact as a stand alone technical camera - but that's my opinion.

One last opinion of mine - the proper place for a technical camera is on top of a tripod. The very nature of shooting with a technical camera demands that tripod. This isn't saying that their aren't some circumstances where you need to shoot handheld such as in the middle of a street or hanging off a cliff. I've been using my WRS for well over 30 months and still count the number of times I've had to handhold on one hand.

Hope this helps.

Don

Don Libby

Don, I finally realised what you were referring to with the WRS1050, having only just seen that Cambo's listed the wooden grip WRS on their website.

Here I was thinking that I was letting everyone in on a big scoop by posting those images! :cool:
No worries!:D

Steve Hendrix

It's an extremely smooth and pleasurable feeling finish. If you have very non-skinny fingers, they might not fit all the way down into the finger notches, but there will still be enough of an indent to have a good grip. If you're using a wide lens that has the protection bars in horizontal orientation, you'll probably want to remove them, it's a bit tight otherwise. Very nicely done, I'd say. What stays with me the most is the nice, light, soft, and smooth feel of the wood finish - very different (in a positive) way from the handles of the WDS and Compact.

Steve Hendrix

Don Libby

Thanks for the visual Steve. I'm having my RS done with the thought of better gripping in cold weather and gloves.

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks Don for the great thoughts.

I've struggled with whether I actually need shift or not.... as an (ex) architect, I have an inclination, but I actually never shoot architecture. It's the small form factor and excellent lenses that I'm so very interested in (ie... alpa TC). Especially in prep for an ounce-counting session before backpacking.

Hmmm... that RS sure does fit the bill for maximal functionality with less weight than some of the other shift-enabled tech cams.

Glad I'm still in savings mode after buying my last camera, lol.