Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad news

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad news

Less Moire. Sounds like Micro lenses to me, wonder if that is the case.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wilson View Post
    a link to the hasselblad website with new camera info:

http://www.hasselblad.se/promotions/50-promotion.aspx
    Thanks Marc.

Okay, it's official ... same sized sensor, but I can't seem to find the pixel pitch stats on the new sensor.

The good news is that Hasselblad is allowing full retail value for a 39 meg in exchange ... the upgrade pricing is the difference between the two retail prices.

I'm signing up today. It'll be interesting to see how this pup does on the Rollei Xact2 with some of the Rodenstock and Schneider digital lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc I looked also , could not find a download spec sheet
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Less Moire. Sounds like Micro lenses to me, wonder if that is the case.
    I doubt it, especially given they are also launching a T/S adapter ... more likely it's just smaller light wells, or the same sized ones as the 39 with less space between each pixel.

Now that it's official we can ask

I think this is of interest to studio shooters like myself ... working with highly controlled light sources that pull out minute detail ... IMHO, this is where these high meg backs tend to shine.

For general photography and shooting outdoors I like the 31 meg.(non-T/S & higher ISO), or the 33 meg Dalsa sensor ... or (depending on final enlargement size), any 9X9 micron back like the one you use Guy.

It's a good time for photographers, lots of choices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Marc love the choices and we have yet to hear from Phase, leaf and who knows what other surprises might be out there. It seems to me and maybe just because I recently bought a MF back and such that the road to MF has increased

thsinar

6 micro

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    , but I can't seem to find the pixel pitch stats on the new sensor.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so that would be a 42 x 42 mm sensor?

JEM_DTG

Here are some links the more official information on both the H3DII-50 and the new HTS 1.5X Tilt/Shift Adapter:

http://www.hasselblad.se/products/h-.../h3dii-50.aspx

http://www.hasselblad.se/products/h-system/hts-15.aspx

Also a link to download a PDF Technical Datasheets on both the H3DII-50 and the HTS 1.5X

http://www.hasselblad.se/media/13428..._datasheet.pdf
    http://www.hasselblad.se/media/13323..._datasheet.pdf

The pixel size of the new 36.8x49.1 mm, 50MP Kodak chip is 6.0μm (see specs from datasheet above).

Regards,

Jordan Miller
    DTG

Marc I looked also , could not find a download spec sheet
    Last edited by JEM_DTG; 7th July 2008 at 06:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jordan

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The good news is that Hasselblad is allowing full retail value for a 39 meg in exchange ... the upgrade pricing is the difference between the two retail prices.
    I would consider that remarkably good news...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very interesting announcements. I am sure that Phase One has a bunch of things they are working on as well that will surely blow peoples socks off.
    As soon as there is concrete information you know we will get it out to you.

Also does anyone know if the HTS adapter from Hasselblad will work with Film or is a Hasselblad DB is required for use?

Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey i will throw my name in the hat to beta test anything Phase has.

JEM_DTG

It would seem logical that the adapter could be used with cameras such as the H1, H2, and H2F, as the adapter is compatible with several HC-Series lenses, in addition to the HC-D 28mm.

The HTS 1.5X Adapter has been designed with Hasselblad's DAC (Digital-APO Correction) as part of the optical equation, so logically the best performance would exist within Hasselblad's complete system.

Given the long-standing demand for such an adapter, I would hope the HTS 1.5X is usable with the various H-Series camera configurations that exist in the marketplace.

I am waiting on more details to confirm the exact "compatibility". More to come.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
    DTG

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    Very interesting announcements... Also does anyone know if the HTS adapter from Hasselblad will work with Film or is a Hasselblad DB is required for use?

Lance Schad

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is of interest to studio shooters like myself ... working with highly controlled light sources that pull out minute detail ... IMHO, this is where these high meg backs tend to shine.

For general photography and shooting outdoors I like the 31 meg.(non-T/S & higher ISO), or the 33 meg Dalsa sensor ... or (depending on final enlargement size), any 9X9 micron back like the one you use Guy.

It's a good time for photographers, lots of choices.
    Marc,
    Do you see this new addition by Hasselblad as something that essentially will split the line a bit and encourage more than one back? By that I mean, with just the 31MP back, one could pretty much do most things, including higher ISO shooting. With the 39MP back, one could also do pretty much all kinds of shooting, but maybe be a bit more ISO restricted, and in turn get more detail resolution for studio use. With this new 50MP back, it looks like Hasselblad wants the pro shooter to go with both.....the 31 and 50 to cover their needs better.

Interesting offerings: 31 for all-around single back use and/or higher ISO use; 39 for single back use also, but ISO limited; 50 for single or dual back approach (with 31) to cover the more complete spectrum of shooting, more like a DSLR line-up (picture Canon 1DMkx and 1DsMkx "pair").

Just musing here, as it does seem a bit different than other MF approaches, though others have similar tools.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also interesting to point out that it is not only a T/S adapter, but magnifier as well. So the 28mm will effectively become a 45mm. I guess that is how they maybe getting around having it focus at infinity.

Also was a ship date mentioned on the T/S?

lance
    Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Marc,
    Do you see this new addition by Hasselblad as something that essentially will split the line a bit and encourage more than one back? By that I mean, with just the 31MP back, one could pretty much do most things, including higher ISO shooting. With the 39MP back, one could also do pretty much all kinds of shooting, but maybe be a bit more ISO restricted, and in turn get more detail resolution for studio use. With this new 50MP back, it looks like Hasselblad wants the pro shooter to go with both.....the 31 and 50 to cover their needs better.

Interesting offerings: 31 for all-around single back use and/or higher ISO use; 39 for single back use also, but ISO limited; 50 for single or dual back approach (with 31) to cover the more complete spectrum of shooting, more like a DSLR line-up (picture Canon 1DMkx and 1DsMkx "pair").

Just musing here, as it does seem a bit different than other MF approaches, though others have similar tools.

LJ
    I don't see having a 31mp and a 50mp inventory as viable for many photographers. It seems the 50mp pricing will be in the $40K+ area...

I think, instead, what's happened here is two things; Hasselblad has recognized that a mid to upper teen price point product is a must to get photographers into medium format who might otherwise go for 35mm high end exclusively. But I believe these companies (Hasselblad, Sinar, Leaf, Phase One) will have a difficult time thriving at those price points. So they still must offer a super high-end product (like the H3DII-50). What the 50mp product will do is add additional quality separation between not just 35mm (already at 22mp and rumors of higher coming) but also between the 28mp/31mp teen-priced, mid-tier product and the higher priced turbo-quality product.

Dealers have already seen sales of $30+ products shrink as high quality (but limited in some ways) medium format products have emerged priced in the teens.

Regarding the adapter, apparently it will work with H1/H2, although it will be killer with the Hasselblad H3DII/CFII with the optical corrections. This is a very encouraging sign and shines a different light on Hasselblad's "closed" strategy.

Steve Hendrix
    www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix/PPR View Post
    Regarding the adapter,... This is a very encouraging sign and shines a different light on Hasselblad's "closed" strategy.

Steve Hendrix
    www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
    it does start to show the positives of a system where the body, lenses and software being in synch with eachother really start to pay off.

The software becomes an equally important third element in the set up to produce the image you require.

Phase seem to be doing similar with the new lens correction being built into the C1 software but right now hasselblad have it all in one...although perhaps the usage of their backs on view cameras is not quite as simple as others (such as on the upcoming arctec etc)...but I may be wrong there.
    I think the useage of the backs on view/shift cameras is important as with the H tilt shift widest lens becoming a 45mm the ability to shift wider lenses for architectural work is still needed...but I imagine for studio shooters this TS set up will be fantastic.

I guess there are similar things in 35mm dslr with lens correction software for camera+lens combos but the H system is a seamless one...very nice.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Am I alone in tending to need perspective correction (rise/fall) most of all when working with wides? Am I alone in being disappointed when I see the term "1.5x lens factor" and disappointed with the implications this has on wides? The lens factor is already a killer on the CFV and now alas on the HTS.

Post Thanks / Like

it does start to show the positives of a system where the body, lenses and software being in synch with eachother really start to pay off.
    In theory, yes. I don't think this is really achieving much, yet. Using software to correct a TS lens is extremely difficult. The correction would change with shift, tilt, and focal distance. I don't see it happening, but we'll soon know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Am I alone in tending to need perspective correction (rise/fall) most of all when working with wides? Am I alone in being disappointed when I see the term "1.5x lens factor" and disappointed with the implications this has on wides? The lens factor is already a killer on the CFV and now alas on the HTS.
    Not alone at all Keith.
    But 45mm always was the widest shift lens for medium format cameras, as far as I know, so that stays the same really...hence my feeling that the Ts will be great alone for studio based work but 'your' H system will still require a seperate shift camera with lenses for most architectural work.

Graham I think the idea here is that the software helps with the lens distortion, CA, etc, irrespective of wether the Ts adaptor is used, but does not affect the perspective corrections as that is done physically with the TS adaptor.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Graham I think the idea here is that the software helps with the lens distortion, CA, etc, irrespective of wether the Ts adaptor is used, but does not affect the perspective corrections as that is done physically with the TS adaptor.

Marc
    But therein lies the problem. The distortion and CA characteristics will change depending on the tilt and shift settings.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    I understand what you are talking about with respect to "premium" versus "entry" for things from the various camera makers. And yes, it does seem rather pricey to keep both in a kit, but that was sort of what got me thinking about the approach. The 50MP back is not going to be cheap, and may be all that some pros would want/need. Yet with the prices on the smaller backs being more reasonable, having both in a system that works for both suddenly does not seem as much a stretch to get the much greater versatility, while trying to pull more from the present higher end DSLR market of shooters looking for higher resolution, and overall flexibility. The lower priced backs do draw more in, but I really do not know enough about "sustainability" for the manufacturers. If they sell a lot more backs, they grow the market at least, if not their share, and that alone permits this sort of higher/lower segregation with premium and entry levels. I think it a good move on Hasselblad's part, and the fact that they are working a single "system" may help there also, versus multiple parts and companies to support gear. Just thinking aloud on some of this, but still wondering how a pro shooter would not be attracted to having and using both in a kit?....aside from cost ;-)

Put another way.....would a working pro use just the 50MP for everything they do? Most likely not, but why not have the ability to shoot stuff with MF that one may have picked up a 35mm DSLR for instead? Supporting one system that is flexible and affordable at one end, plus more that able on the higher end seems like a good way to go....if affordable and if it fits the shooting needs.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    But therein lies the problem. The distortion and CA characteristics will change depending on the tilt and shift settings.
    Well in that case hasselblad users will have to hope the tech guys in Sweden have been very clever indeed!
    Personally, not being a studio shooter my mf digital shift needs would more likely be made with a shift camera and large format lenses.

Unfortunately this is not something I need to worry about right now...I never realised just how expensive an upcoming wedding can be!!

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    It solves some table top work more than anything as for wide angles given the cost of the adapter maybe some other solutions out there that make more sense.

Now if you can stitch with it with the 28mm than it could help in the wide area but of course that is limited to still objects.

But i always like to see OEM's pushing the envelope so yes it has limitations but glad to see it on the market. This just makes others improve as well.

It's not over yet folks there is more stuff coming at Photokinia and even though Hassy announced these two products they may even have more and i am personally counting on Phase to announce some cool stuff

dlew308

I wish Phase would put out some teasers now

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, but Phase is really only making backs, not the bodies and lenses that have the sort of integration and use that Hasselblad is putting out there now. Not looking to create a brand battle or anything like that. Just looking at the field and thinking about how some of this stuff may work overall. In Guy's comment, while there may be other solutions for doing table top shooting or other things needing shifts, etc., those now involve either other cameras, adaptors, and system support of some sort, or staying in single, more versatile line that permits more interchangeability.

I was sort of thinking long and hard about Sinar as a way to do most things, but am now being drawn back to thinking Hasselblad may have some greater momentum and tools now, despite folks comments about a "closed" system. It will be interesting to see what anybody else does start to mention and offer over the next few weeks, but Hasselblad is not standing still on things, that is for sure. Glad to see these developments, and look forward to more.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, but Phase is really only making backs, not the bodies and lenses that have the sort of integration and use that Hasselblad is putting out there now.

LJ
    Capture 1 will soon have in built correction for the, I believe, 28, 35 and 45mm lenses. I think we can say that the phase /mamiya combination means that phase/mamiya are as good as making bodies, backs,lenses, and software, so in that way I think the integration is there, just perhaps not as obviousely so!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase and Mamiya are heavily tied together. At this point I think Phase somewhat tells Mamiya what it wants in bodies and lenses. But I don't really know well enough there working partnerships, so my comment is just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Capture 1 will soon have in built correction for the, I believe, 28 and 35mm lenses. I think we can say that the phase /mamiya combination means that phase/mamiya are as good as making bodies, backs,lenses, and software, so in that way I think the integration is there, just perhaps not as obviousely so!
    They have built in for the 28,35 and 45 lenses CA and Purple fringing. The new C1 Pro has a lot more functions coming for the Mamiya glass one being Focus Plus. Hopefully we will see C1 Pro right around the corner but yes they are tied in pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    Not trying to create any division with my comments. I do see the other makers looking for more integration, and that is great. I was just noting that Hasselblad is able to move forward or in whatever direction they want rather quickly, and are not as dependent upon partners to make and deliver things. Phase may have a great working relationship with Mamiya, but Phase runs its own shop and does not make the cameras or lenses, so final overall integration may never be quite as tight as Hasselblad. They may have the software tools that do a great job, but they still depend upon the various back makers and lens makers to complete their overall package offerings. That is all I was commenting about. Sinar is in a similar situation. I am not saying that others are not offering or planning to offer similar, better or different things. I merely commented that Hasselblad's approach, though slammed and commented upon harshly by many, is still doing things others have not quite been able to do. Worth the notice and kudos, if it all works out and they continue with their cool things.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I agree. Hassy seems to do all there own stuff. I do think though lenses are being made for them by Fuji and same with Sinar with Rollie. None of these folks make lenses themselves they all have partners there. But Hassy does make there own camera's and backs as well as Sinar and I guess Leaf also. But I would not be surprised if Phase did not actually own Mamiya and just keep the branding name. There have been a lot of mergers in the MF world so not sure who owns who.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LJ,

I personally think that the 31 plus a 39 or 50 back is a great combo. I currently have the H3DII39 for high resolution, studio work, and high sync speed strobe work. The camera SYSTEM is great. I really love the integration in the camera to the back. It has great ergonomics, a very bright and clear viewfinder, one battery (advantage & disadvantage, but more advantage to me at the moment), and VERY EASY to use custom settings.

For my second system, I went with the Phase/Mamiya combo using the 31MP - P30+ back. In the more general purpose camera, I thought this was a better combo for me. Admitting, I do not like the Mamiya AFDII loaner body when compared to my H3DII camera at all. I'm hoping that the new AFDIII body will take away some of my complaints, but I know that not all will be solved in this iteration. However there are several advantages in this system for my general use (non high speed sync strobe work). The files from the P30+ are very good, it has 1600 ISO, is fast, the system is lighter weight which is a great advantage for this camera, the focal plane shutter does not allow high speed sync but does allow 1/4000 shutter speeds. The real interesting thing about this body is that in the future, it will also be able to use leaf shutter lenses.

Phocus at first was not a nice work flow for me, but I am getting used to it and it is becoming much easier to use and is very powerful. Hassy also seems to listen to suggestions (so does Phase) on what to incorporate or fix in the software. (Look on Nick T's forum and alot of information gets passed back to Hassy for inclusion/fix in Phocus.) Capture One is a workflow that I know from the Leica and is very easy to use for me also. It is also still waiting for needed features that it is missing, which we will hopefully see in a Pro version soon.

Basically, my point is that I really do see a use for a 31MP back and a higher resolution back 39/50 in the same kit. My decision also divided that need into two systems for a focal plane shutter and a leaf shutter.

I am really excited about the T/S adaptor, as that would solve alot of problems for me.

One thing that Hassy should really think about (IMHO) is a focal plane body that works with your existing back and HC lenses. They will be at something of a disadvantage, when Phase/Mamiya has both in one body system.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Ray,
    Thanks for your thoughts and input. I understand your two-system approach for your needs. That is partly why I am still a bit on the fence. I see the advantages of both focal plan and leaf shutters.

The idea of Hasselblad introducing a focal plane body that would accept all the present H3D stuff would be outstanding, as that could complete a system to meet most needs. The Phase/Mamiya offerings are also very good, but they (Mamiya?) have still not put out those leaf shutter lenses that have been promised for some time, so essentially, it is still a focal plane system, and why your needs are for both right now.

I am just looking a bit forward and wondering/wishing aloud for somebody (ies) in this mix to come up with a complete, fully integrated, collection of things to build a versatile, compact, interchangeable kit. Hasssleblad is looking very good, but all on the leaf shutter platform right now. Phase/Mamiya is looking good for both, but they have yet to put out the lenses, and there still may be some integration issues at that point. Really do not know how that is going to work.

At this point, I think your "solution" is an excellent way to go. I would rather do it all without having to support two very different systems, but just cannot do so yet. Your comments about the H3D versus AFDII ergonomics and use are appreciated. I feel much the same way. The Hassy, though heavier, just seems to fit me better in my limited playing, and I just could not get comfortable with the Mamiya. The Hy6 is also very nice, and I do like many of its offerings, but the Hassy still seems to work better for me. All of that could change, and may. So, I keep cheering Hasselblad on, as I like what that have offered, and are doing, but still keep hoping for them to integrate a focal plane body that could be used as part of their H3D system. That would seal the deal in my thinking.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

So, if Hasselblad have adapted the ArcBody and produced the HTS, could they be considering re-introducing the ArcBody and this time supplying it with adapted Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital Lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be safe to assume that use of the coming Tilt Shift adapter will introduce
    some color shift into captures when shift and/or tilt is applied?

As I am more familiar with how Phase handles corrective files to deal with LCC (lens
    cast correction) and the ability to work untethered I would also like to know if the
    Blad backs can apply their corrective files in post foollowing shoot or does the corrective
    capture need to be handled in a tethered workflow.

Thx,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    I was just noting that Hasselblad is able to move forward or in whatever direction they want rather quickly, and are not as dependent upon partners to make and deliver things.
    Of course they are. They depend on Fuji for the lenses, and I don't know where the camera bodies are made but all the sources I found said "some parts" were made in Sweden, so I assume that Fuji contributes there also (according to LL, Fuji makes the prisms). Do you know for a fact that the Hasselblad software was written inhouse and not contracted out to a software house (as some other maufacturers do)? And we all know that they rely on Kodak for their sensors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Of course they are. They depend on Fuji for the lenses, and I don't know where the camera bodies are made but all the sources I found said "some parts" were made in Sweden, so I assume that Fuji contributes there also (according to LL, Fuji makes the prisms). Do you know for a fact that the Hasselblad software was written inhouse and not contracted out to a software house (as some other maufacturers do)? And we all know that they rely on Kodak for their sensors.
    Graham,
    You are correct, they are dependent upon suppliers to get stuff fabricated, and for parts. What I was referring to is that whatever arrangements Hasselblad has with Fuji, Kodak and others for components, they seem able to pull things together as they need, and when they want/need, for the most part. That is a bit different than having some sort of shared partnership as Mamiya/Phase or Sinar/Leaf/Aptus, where they are trying to coordinate parts, announcements and delivery against the schedules of the other partners, and not just suppliers. Not saying that is how things work, but it seems to me that Hasselblad, with its "go it alone" approach, does appear able to keep things a bit tighter knit.

While I appreciate the more open approach of the others, Phase may have to wait on Mamiya for lenses and bodies, or Sinar must make sure that a 45 degree finder from Rollei gets retrofitted or built to work the way they want it for their version of the Hy6, as examples. Hasselblad, on the other hand only has to worry about what works within their system. They still need things fabbed to their specs, but they have more vertical integration for what they produce, it appears.

This may not matter much at all, but it just appears as though some of these things are working better for some than others. (I am sure Phase feels some heat from not being able to push the promised Mamiya leaf shutter lenses, as a thought....I know I would be more anxious about things like that if I were Phase and banking on that development that has been very publicly announced for some time.)

In any event, we may see more surprises from various fronts soon enough, and all of this will become idyl chatter

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree. Hassy seems to do all there own stuff. I do think though lenses are being made for them by Fuji and same with Sinar with Rollie. None of these folks make lenses themselves they all have partners there. But Hassy does make there own camera's and backs as well as Sinar and I guess Leaf also. But I would not be surprised if Phase did not actually own Mamiya and just keep the branding name. There have been a lot of mergers in the MF world so not sure who owns who.
    Mamiya is owned by a Japanese software company, there is no merger with PhaseOne, just a strategic cooperation between the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray,
    The Phase/Mamiya offerings are also very good, but they (Mamiya?) have still not put out those leaf shutter lenses that have been promised for some time, so essentially, it is still a focal plane system...

LJ
    PhaseOne has already said they will unveil the first leaf shutter lens (80mm) at Photokina and that it will be available for purchase in Q4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy645 View Post
    Mamiya is owned by a Japanese software company, there is no merger with PhaseOne, just a strategic cooperation between the two.
    Thanks for the input on that.

thsinar

Dear LJ,

Sinar is modifying the 45 in-house, to allow the revolving adapter to revolve.

Best regards,
    Thierry

... or Sinar must make sure that a 45 degree finder from Rollei gets retrofitted or built to work the way they want it for their version of the Hy6, as examples.
    LJ

thsinar

Wrong. Mamiya is not owned by a Japanese SW company, and never was.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy645 View Post
    Mamiya is owned by a Japanese software company, ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    Dear LJ,

Sinar is modifying the 45 in-house, to allow the revolving adapter to revolve.

Best regards,
    Thierry
    Thierry,
    Thanks for that point. I believe you had mentioned it before. My comments are not to incite anyone. I was merely making an observational comparison. In this particular case, Sinar has taken it upon themselves to make the modifications to an existing piece of Rollei equipment, meaning they have to secure those pieces from Rollei, make the mods, etc., versus having designed the pieces or needed modifications from the start. While Sinar may be able to do this quickly, and to their specs, it is yet another piece that has to be fit into the bigger puzzle after the design. It may not take that much effort, but it is a retrofit, not an originally designed component. Are there more things like this? Do not really know, nor is it all that important. Sinar will do the great job they need for the products they are selling under the partnership, but they are having to work with somebody else's designs and limitations from the start. Just an observation. Again, not making disparaging comments about other makers.....just seeing some differences in how a more "closed" company is able to deliver things. It is not perfect, but it seems to be working for Hasselblad at this point.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    Wrong. Mamiya is not owned by a Japanese SW company, and never was.

Best regards,
    Thierry
    Do you know who does own Mamiya than.

thsinar

Yes, right LJ, basically. I did not take it negatively, but you know me: I like everything to be straight, when mentioning Sinar. No harm taken, though.

And no, there are no other pieces like this. We do manufacture the adapters ourselves. As for the rest, a partnership must not be necessarily a hinder to being fast and reactive: it is most of the time a question of right communication and priorities with the partner. If one can get a clear communication and if things are clearly defined, a great part of the hurdle is behind.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Thierry,
    Thanks for that point. I believe you had mentioned it before. My comments are not to incite anyone. I was merely making an observational comparison. In this particular case, Sinar has taken it upon themselves to make the modifications to an existing piece of Rollei equipment, meaning they have to secure those pieces from Rollei, make the mods, etc., versus having designed the pieces or needed modifications from the start. While Sinar may be able to do this quickly, and to their specs, it is yet another piece that has to be fit into the bigger puzzle after the design. It may not take that much effort, but it is a retrofit, not an originally designed component. Are there more things like this? Do not really know, nor is it all that important. Sinar will do the great job they need for the products they are selling under the partnership, but they are having to work with somebody else's designs and limitations from the start. Just an observation. Again, not making disparaging comments about other makers.....just seeing some differences in how a more "closed" company is able to deliver things. It is not perfect, but it seems to be working for Hasselblad at this point.

LJ

thsinar

Yes, I do.

Thierry

Do you know who does own Mamiya than.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well can you tell us or do we need national security clearance.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was Cosmos Scientific Systems Inc http://www.cosmos.jp/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0604/06...iyaselloff.asp

thsinar

Yes, you need this, at the very least!

Thierry

Well can you tell us or do we need national security clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alright I guess you don't want to give it up, so i won't push it. LOL