The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad news

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Very interesting announcements. I am sure ;) that Phase One has a bunch of things they are working on as well that will surely blow peoples socks off.
As soon as there is concrete information you know we will get it out to you.

Also does anyone know if the HTS adapter from Hasselblad will work with Film or is a Hasselblad DB is required for use?

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

J

JEM_DTG

It would seem logical that the adapter could be used with cameras such as the H1, H2, and H2F, as the adapter is compatible with several HC-Series lenses, in addition to the HC-D 28mm.

The HTS 1.5X Adapter has been designed with Hasselblad's DAC (Digital-APO Correction) as part of the optical equation, so logically the best performance would exist within Hasselblad's complete system.

Given the long-standing demand for such an adapter, I would hope the HTS 1.5X is usable with the various H-Series camera configurations that exist in the marketplace.

I am waiting on more details to confirm the exact "compatibility". More to come.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG

Very interesting announcements... Also does anyone know if the HTS adapter from Hasselblad will work with Film or is a Hasselblad DB is required for use?

Lance Schad

LJL

I think this is of interest to studio shooters like myself ... working with highly controlled light sources that pull out minute detail ... IMHO, this is where these high meg backs tend to shine.

For general photography and shooting outdoors I like the 31 meg.(non-T/S & higher ISO), or the 33 meg Dalsa sensor ... or (depending on final enlargement size), any 9X9 micron back like the one you use Guy.

It's a good time for photographers, lots of choices. :thumbup:
Marc,
Do you see this new addition by Hasselblad as something that essentially will split the line a bit and encourage more than one back? By that I mean, with just the 31MP back, one could pretty much do most things, including higher ISO shooting. With the 39MP back, one could also do pretty much all kinds of shooting, but maybe be a bit more ISO restricted, and in turn get more detail resolution for studio use. With this new 50MP back, it looks like Hasselblad wants the pro shooter to go with both.....the 31 and 50 to cover their needs better.

Interesting offerings: 31 for all-around single back use and/or higher ISO use; 39 for single back use also, but ISO limited; 50 for single or dual back approach (with 31) to cover the more complete spectrum of shooting, more like a DSLR line-up (picture Canon 1DMkx and 1DsMkx "pair").

Just musing here, as it does seem a bit different than other MF approaches, though others have similar tools.

LJ

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Also interesting to point out that it is not only a T/S adapter, but magnifier as well. So the 28mm will effectively become a 45mm. I guess that is how they maybe getting around having it focus at infinity.

Also was a ship date mentioned on the T/S?

lance
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

Steve Hendrix

Marc,
Do you see this new addition by Hasselblad as something that essentially will split the line a bit and encourage more than one back? By that I mean, with just the 31MP back, one could pretty much do most things, including higher ISO shooting. With the 39MP back, one could also do pretty much all kinds of shooting, but maybe be a bit more ISO restricted, and in turn get more detail resolution for studio use. With this new 50MP back, it looks like Hasselblad wants the pro shooter to go with both.....the 31 and 50 to cover their needs better.

Interesting offerings: 31 for all-around single back use and/or higher ISO use; 39 for single back use also, but ISO limited; 50 for single or dual back approach (with 31) to cover the more complete spectrum of shooting, more like a DSLR line-up (picture Canon 1DMkx and 1DsMkx "pair").

Just musing here, as it does seem a bit different than other MF approaches, though others have similar tools.

LJ
I don't see having a 31mp and a 50mp inventory as viable for many photographers. It seems the 50mp pricing will be in the $40K+ area...

I think, instead, what's happened here is two things; Hasselblad has recognized that a mid to upper teen price point product is a must to get photographers into medium format who might otherwise go for 35mm high end exclusively. But I believe these companies (Hasselblad, Sinar, Leaf, Phase One) will have a difficult time thriving at those price points. So they still must offer a super high-end product (like the H3DII-50). What the 50mp product will do is add additional quality separation between not just 35mm (already at 22mp and rumors of higher coming) but also between the 28mp/31mp teen-priced, mid-tier product and the higher priced turbo-quality product.

Dealers have already seen sales of $30+ products shrink as high quality (but limited in some ways) medium format products have emerged priced in the teens.

Regarding the adapter, apparently it will work with H1/H2, although it will be killer with the Hasselblad H3DII/CFII with the optical corrections. This is a very encouraging sign and shines a different light on Hasselblad's "closed" strategy.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

Marc Wilson

Regarding the adapter,... This is a very encouraging sign and shines a different light on Hasselblad's "closed" strategy.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
it does start to show the positives of a system where the body, lenses and software being in synch with eachother really start to pay off.

The software becomes an equally important third element in the set up to produce the image you require.

Phase seem to be doing similar with the new lens correction being built into the C1 software but right now hasselblad have it all in one...although perhaps the usage of their backs on view cameras is not quite as simple as others (such as on the upcoming arctec etc)...but I may be wrong there.
I think the useage of the backs on view/shift cameras is important as with the H tilt shift widest lens becoming a 45mm the ability to shift wider lenses for architectural work is still needed...but I imagine for studio shooters this TS set up will be fantastic.

I guess there are similar things in 35mm dslr with lens correction software for camera+lens combos but the H system is a seamless one...very nice.

Marc

KeithL

Am I alone in tending to need perspective correction (rise/fall) most of all when working with wides? Am I alone in being disappointed when I see the term "1.5x lens factor" and disappointed with the implications this has on wides? The lens factor is already a killer on the CFV and now alas on the HTS.

Graham Mitchell

it does start to show the positives of a system where the body, lenses and software being in synch with eachother really start to pay off.
In theory, yes. I don't think this is really achieving much, yet. Using software to correct a TS lens is extremely difficult. The correction would change with shift, tilt, and focal distance. I don't see it happening, but we'll soon know.

Marc Wilson

Am I alone in tending to need perspective correction (rise/fall) most of all when working with wides? Am I alone in being disappointed when I see the term "1.5x lens factor" and disappointed with the implications this has on wides? The lens factor is already a killer on the CFV and now alas on the HTS.
Not alone at all Keith.
But 45mm always was the widest shift lens for medium format cameras, as far as I know, so that stays the same really...hence my feeling that the Ts will be great alone for studio based work but 'your' H system will still require a seperate shift camera with lenses for most architectural work.

Graham I think the idea here is that the software helps with the lens distortion, CA, etc, irrespective of wether the Ts adaptor is used, but does not affect the perspective corrections as that is done physically with the TS adaptor.

Marc

Graham Mitchell

Graham I think the idea here is that the software helps with the lens distortion, CA, etc, irrespective of wether the Ts adaptor is used, but does not affect the perspective corrections as that is done physically with the TS adaptor.

Marc
But therein lies the problem. The distortion and CA characteristics will change depending on the tilt and shift settings.

LJL

Steve,
I understand what you are talking about with respect to "premium" versus "entry" for things from the various camera makers. And yes, it does seem rather pricey to keep both in a kit, but that was sort of what got me thinking about the approach. The 50MP back is not going to be cheap, and may be all that some pros would want/need. Yet with the prices on the smaller backs being more reasonable, having both in a system that works for both suddenly does not seem as much a stretch to get the much greater versatility, while trying to pull more from the present higher end DSLR market of shooters looking for higher resolution, and overall flexibility. The lower priced backs do draw more in, but I really do not know enough about "sustainability" for the manufacturers. If they sell a lot more backs, they grow the market at least, if not their share, and that alone permits this sort of higher/lower segregation with premium and entry levels. I think it a good move on Hasselblad's part, and the fact that they are working a single "system" may help there also, versus multiple parts and companies to support gear. Just thinking aloud on some of this, but still wondering how a pro shooter would not be attracted to having and using both in a kit?....aside from cost ;-)

Put another way.....would a working pro use just the 50MP for everything they do? Most likely not, but why not have the ability to shoot stuff with MF that one may have picked up a 35mm DSLR for instead? Supporting one system that is flexible and affordable at one end, plus more that able on the higher end seems like a good way to go....if affordable and if it fits the shooting needs.

LJ

Marc Wilson

But therein lies the problem. The distortion and CA characteristics will change depending on the tilt and shift settings.
Well in that case hasselblad users will have to hope the tech guys in Sweden have been very clever indeed!
Personally, not being a studio shooter my mf digital shift needs would more likely be made with a shift camera and large format lenses.

Unfortunately this is not something I need to worry about right now...I never realised just how expensive an upcoming wedding can be!!:)

Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It solves some table top work more than anything as for wide angles given the cost of the adapter maybe some other solutions out there that make more sense.

Now if you can stitch with it with the 28mm than it could help in the wide area but of course that is limited to still objects.

But i always like to see OEM's pushing the envelope so yes it has limitations but glad to see it on the market. This just makes others improve as well.

It's not over yet folks there is more stuff coming at Photokinia and even though Hassy announced these two products they may even have more and i am personally counting on Phase to announce some cool stuff

LJL

Ah, but Phase is really only making backs, not the bodies and lenses that have the sort of integration and use that Hasselblad is putting out there now. Not looking to create a brand battle or anything like that. Just looking at the field and thinking about how some of this stuff may work overall. In Guy's comment, while there may be other solutions for doing table top shooting or other things needing shifts, etc., those now involve either other cameras, adaptors, and system support of some sort, or staying in single, more versatile line that permits more interchangeability.

I was sort of thinking long and hard about Sinar as a way to do most things, but am now being drawn back to thinking Hasselblad may have some greater momentum and tools now, despite folks comments about a "closed" system. It will be interesting to see what anybody else does start to mention and offer over the next few weeks, but Hasselblad is not standing still on things, that is for sure. Glad to see these developments, and look forward to more.

LJ

Marc Wilson

Ah, but Phase is really only making backs, not the bodies and lenses that have the sort of integration and use that Hasselblad is putting out there now.

LJ
Capture 1 will soon have in built correction for the, I believe, 28, 35 and 45mm lenses. I think we can say that the phase /mamiya combination means that phase/mamiya are as good as making bodies, backs,lenses, and software, so in that way I think the integration is there, just perhaps not as obviousely so!

Guy Mancuso

Phase and Mamiya are heavily tied together. At this point I think Phase somewhat tells Mamiya what it wants in bodies and lenses. But I don't really know well enough there working partnerships, so my comment is just my opinion.

Guy Mancuso

Capture 1 will soon have in built correction for the, I believe, 28 and 35mm lenses. I think we can say that the phase /mamiya combination means that phase/mamiya are as good as making bodies, backs,lenses, and software, so in that way I think the integration is there, just perhaps not as obviousely so!
They have built in for the 28,35 and 45 lenses CA and Purple fringing. The new C1 Pro has a lot more functions coming for the Mamiya glass one being Focus Plus. Hopefully we will see C1 Pro right around the corner but yes they are tied in pretty well.

LJL

Guy,
Not trying to create any division with my comments. I do see the other makers looking for more integration, and that is great. I was just noting that Hasselblad is able to move forward or in whatever direction they want rather quickly, and are not as dependent upon partners to make and deliver things. Phase may have a great working relationship with Mamiya, but Phase runs its own shop and does not make the cameras or lenses, so final overall integration may never be quite as tight as Hasselblad. They may have the software tools that do a great job, but they still depend upon the various back makers and lens makers to complete their overall package offerings. That is all I was commenting about. Sinar is in a similar situation. I am not saying that others are not offering or planning to offer similar, better or different things. I merely commented that Hasselblad's approach, though slammed and commented upon harshly by many, is still doing things others have not quite been able to do. Worth the notice and kudos, if it all works out and they continue with their cool things.

LJ