The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hong Kong Trip with a Hasselblad

Normally I travel with my Nikon D3s. If I want to travel light I take my 24/1.4 and 85/1.4. Sometimes I will add my 14-24, 24-70 or 70-200 depending on what I am shooting.

Next week, I will be in Hong Kong for about ten days. First trip to Hong Kong. Thinking about taking my H4d-40 and shooting some panoramas and other stuff. I have not taken the Hasselblad on any significant trip before. I have the 28, 50, 80 and 150. Any recommendations or insight as to whether I should take the Hassy and if so, which lens combination.

Thanks,
Joe

leicashot

Joe, only you can ultimately decide that as you know how you like to shoot and from what distance/perspectives. Ultimately the style of shooting the two cameras changes so you need to be mindful of that when choosing what lenses to bring.

In terms of going from Nikon to Hassy, you giving up on a do it all kit for a larger MP kit so you're probably going to feel limited unless you change your style of shooting/subjects. I suggest you just take all four lenses with you and choose which ones to take out each day as you go. There are no rules to this, infact if you think there are, better break them :)

Hong Kong or NY, the lens choices should be dependent on how you'd like to shoot, no your destination as such, unless your destination dictates the type of style you wish to adopt. As far as I know, lenses aren't region specific ;-)

Have a nice trip

woodyspedden

Since Hong Kong has some famous and landmark architecture, I would take a wide angle lens for sure, regardless of which system you choose. If you have the HTS 1.5 bring it for sure. It, along with the 28mm should be a killer combo.The other type of shooting most folks do in Hong Kong is street work since there are so many interesting facets of daily life there. JMHO

Woody

fotografz

It is funny, but I can't recall traveling with a DSLR ... it is either a M9 kit or the MFD.

Some people think it's crazy to tour with a MFD, but I don't, including use for street shots ... used a H3D/31, then a H4D/40 to do so ... and before that a 203FE with a CFV back.

When I do I try to keep the kit smaller than usual but as versatile as possible. My choice is often the 50 and 100/2.2 with a 1/7X because the two lenses are about the same size (the 28 is bulkier). In your case, it all depends on wether the 50 will be wide enough for your purposes on the 1.3X crop frame H4D/40. If not, then the 28, 80, 150 would be a choice.

One worthwhile thing to consider if you don't already have it is the Camadpter hand-strap with dual lug Arca Quick Release camera plate that also allows use of a shoulder strap. I carry around a H camera for hours sometimes, and it really does help.

Oh, and do not be afraid to use ISO 800 and 1600 with the H4D/40 ... great for lower light street stuff and interiors ... and when sized from a bigger sensor looks as good or better as stuff from a DSLR @ 1600.

Have fun!

-Marc

Appreciate the responses. Thanks Kristian, Woody and Marc.

Gotta say Marc, I have had so much fun with your ex, the H4d-40. She really is a superb artistic tool.

I am leaning toward taking the Nikon D3s, 24/1.4 and 85/1.4 for very low light and the Hassy and four lenses for everything else. I will take it all in one thinktank airport international rolling bag and keep it in the hotel. Each daily excursion will be one system or the other and the appropriate lenses in a shoulder bag.

Curious to try the Hassy in a more street shooting syle.

Thanks again everyone.
Joe

Last edited:

P. Chong

I just came back from HKG with the H3d. Brought the 28 and 50-110. Used the Hassie mainly for night shots...was a shopping and gastronomy trip with my wife, so not fully able to shoot.

Stitched from 2 images with 28.

Multipanel stitch with the 50-110

HKG also lends itself well to street shooting - beautiful and colourful neons in the evenings, and the myriads of people everywhere...who seem immune to a fellow with a camera.

Peter, thanks for sharing the images and your thoughts. Shopping and eating seem to be the major activities in Hong Kong.

How was the visibility during your stay? I understand air quality can be quite poor this time of year.

Thanks,

Last edited:

yatlee

Hi Joe, I live in Hong Kong. It's a beautiful city, probably the most spectacular night scene you can find anywhere in the world.
Here are couple shot I took. First one from the top of the peak and the second one from across the harbour.
1)
sep 13 2010 peak sunset by yatlee, on Flickr

2)

TST before sunset July 11, 2010 by yatlee, on Flickr

However, the pollution has affected the days we can see a clear blue sky and it's a shame. The best time to visit is June through August for which the sky is much clearer. April will be hit or miss depending on your luck. You can still find a lot of interesting things to shoot around the city. Like old building, tea house, etc.
1)

Wan Chai by yatlee, on Flickr
2)

Mido Cafe, Hong Kong by yatlee, on Flickr

Wide and standard lenses will be a good choice as most the subject/landscape are not far away. If you need further suggestion on location for shooting, please don’t hesitate to PM me or check out my flickr.

P. Chong

Joe, the air quality was quite poor when I was there. The view across the harbour is hazy, and it was difficult to shoot during the day as the contrast is very poor.

fotografz

Whew, that is a lot of big stuff to pack into that bag. Be sure you can carry on the Airport International. I know it is supposed to meet carry-on regulations, but those are changing frequently, and there is a chance the weight may be an issue. Just a caution. (I force choice by using a smaller AirStream for travel)

If you travel frequently ignore the following : When traveling anywhere, be mindful of security and be sure your insurance is up to snuff. If you have it covered under your business insurance, be sure you can prove you are there on business. A pro shooter I know was robbed at gun point while on vacation and the Insurance co. denied his claim because the gear wasn't being used for business. Years ago, I had some gear covered by a homeowner's rider and a claim was denied because I was using the gear to shoot a wedding.

Best to you on your trip, we expect fab pics upon your return! :)

-Marc

Quentin_Bargate

Great shots!

My expereince of travelling with MF kit is mixed.

A couple of years ago I travelled to Egypt with my family and took a Mamiya ZD camera and a Kodak 14nx camera with various lenses. The Mamiya proved to be too slow and 90% of the shots I took that were any good were taken on the Kodak, which did an excellent job (it was a much underrated camera).

On the other hand, a recent trip within England with my H4D-50 and Sony A900 and assorted lenses proved the opposite, with the hassy getting most (although not all) of the limelight.

I have now realised what is going on. I treat the Hassy as I would a large format camera, for tripod work in the field where maximum quality is at a premium, or where i want to shoot for HDR or focus stacking. When I went to Egypt, most of the good shooting was not tripod based, but of local scenes, details, people etc.

So the decision should be based on shooting style and subjects.

Incidentaly, a H4D and three lenses with some Lee filters and a few odds and end fits easily in to carry on luggage, The tripod and less important / valuable stuff goes in the hold.

Quentin

BANKER1

My fear was a flight crew who would insist upon putting my MFD bag in the cargo compartment. I made my mind up to get off the airplane if they were insistent upon doing that. So for years I traveled with my 35 mm. Finally I decided to put my MF camera with lens and a second lens in a small carry on bag that I knew they would not want to stow in the baggage compartment. Haven't had a problem since, and I have traveled by air on several occasions. When my 35-90 zoom lens gets here, I'll probably just take the camera and that one lens.

Greg

Thanks Peter, Marc, Quentin and Greg. So helpful to get meaningful first hand insight.

Quentin, you bring up some wonderful points for me to consider. There are Hong Kong shots where I must use a tripod. For hand held shots I will take Marc's advice and bump iso on the H4d-40 in order to get that faster shutter speed.

I carry my Hasselblad and Nikon gear in two separate small shoulder bags which fit perfectly in my Airport International. If carry-on weight becomes an issue, my wife should be able to carry one of the shoulder bags.

Thanks again,
Joe

stpf8

I was in Hong Kong long ago and learned the hard way that, when doing street photography, some folks, especially the older generation, don't appreciate having their photo taken. An elderly grandmother I saw combing her granddaughter's hair would have been a great photo, but the granddaughter was yanked quickly away when the grandmother saw my camera. It was later explained to me that some believe the camera capture's the person's essence or soul. It's sometimes difficult to photograph natural spontaneity while remaining respectful of a person's personal wishes regarding being photographed, especially when you are a guest in another country.

Christopher

Hey,

Just wanted to check if sonstige around here is currently in Honkg Kong? I am here for around 10 days and if somebody wants to meet up for a coffee or a some shooting I'll certainly be interested. You can reach me here or via email [email protected]

N

nightfire

I was in Hong Kong long ago and learned the hard way that, when doing street photography, some folks, especially the older generation, don't appreciate having their photo taken. (...) It was later explained to me that some believe the camera capture's the person's essence or soul.
If you've been to Hong Kong before the handover, a more plausible explanation in my opinion would be that these people might have fled illegally from China.

.. It was later explained to me that some believe the camera capture's the person's essence or soul...
Haha, funny! It's because it's frankly very annoying and honk kongers are not shy at letting you know, shame you didn't get a chance to know some of the people here. Watch Joel Meyorwicz in action, he's amazing at being invisible.

rem

Would be great Christopher, but working in Bern is what I have to do...;-( One time in Munich...
rem