Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase One Lens Updates

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase One Lens Updates

Phase One is shooting to deliver 5 new lenses this year. A few have been previously announced and people have been waiting patiently for them.
    Here are some additional details :

Schneider Kreuznach 120 mm Macro TS should be volume shipping by June

Phase One 120 mm Macro AF testing is complete and production has been started.

Schneider Kreuznach 150mm LS - they are tweaking the design to get more quality out of it, expected to ship in volume from Q3. Little bit of a bummer , but if your investing this much in developing a piece of glass it definitely should be the best that it can be. Speak to your PhaseOne reseller for a special offer on the 110/LS if you have this lens on order and do not wish to wait.

They are working on a number of other lenses, and they are optimistic that in 2011 they will be able to deliver these lenses as well:

Schneider Kreuznach 75-150 mm LS
    Schneider Kreuznach 240 mm LS

Hey I know that some of you may be disappointed with the time frames, but these are lenses that are very complicated to design and as manufacturers have stated it takes upwards of 3 years to design a lens.

More info to follow.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase One Lens Updates

Put me down immediately for the 240 LS. LOL

I heard about this the other day but did not let the cat out of the bag. Glad you did . LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

What are the max apertures of these lenses? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the macros are F4

The rest not sure. I'll take 2.8 though my guess the zoom and 240 are 3.5 or 4
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

2011 has the makings of a very expensive year...

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Knitting new ski mask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing wideangle with leaf shutter?
    For me, that's what's really missing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No specifics on a wider LS but also mentioned was that they are working on but no specific timeframe on a short zoom and a wide angle T/S.

All sounds good to me.

L
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since the cat is out of the bag I heard up to ten lenses on the books.

Guys impression since Jack and I tested the IQ 180 was the word is out Phase is on the move to broaden this system in a big way. Be it marketing hype or fact it appears more fact as we see more and more announcements. I give them credit they are putting the money out in bad economic times to keep feeding us new toy's. Oh meant tools. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I avoid the first batch (which seems to be a good thing for me) then thankfully that puts them all out to 2012 LOL
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Slow and gentle lens releases from late 2011 and into 2012 would be fine with me. IQ180takes care of 2011 already!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Since the cat is out of the bag I heard up to ten lenses on the books.

Guys impression since Jack and I tested the IQ 180 was the word is out Phase is on the move to broaden this system in a big way. Be it marketing hype or fact it appears more fact as we see more and more announcements. I give them credit they are putting the money out in bad economic times to keep feeding us new toy's. Oh meant tools. LOL

One has to keep in mind that lenses are typically a 2 - 3 year project. So, any lenses on the board that are slated for 2011/2012 would have been started probably in 2008/2009.

They may not all hit at once - which is a reflection of development costs and success of the design - but this is why it often seems like they're not working on what we want, when in fact they are, and the process already under way for some time.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only lens I would really want to see is 45-90, but I have the feeling I can wait forever... Sad, it would be such a great lens. I always liked the 55-110 but hoped for something a little wieder. Well and of course a better quality ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    The only lens I would really want to see is 45-90, but I have the feeling I can wait forever... Sad, it would be such a great lens. I always liked the 55-110 but hoped for something a little wieder. Well and of course a better quality ;-)
    I fully agree with you. I feel as if this would be the perfect "normal" lens for the system. The 55-110 is not nearly wide enough (and it's hard as hell to get a decent-performing copy). If they'd release the 45-90, I'd buy one on the spot.

The 75-150LS is likely to be awesome, but for a very happy owner of the 75-150 D, I have trouble raising an eyebrow over the inclusion of the LS. I'm very curious as far as what the prices of these new LS lenses will be (very, very high, I'm sure).

Does anyone know how well Hasselblad-to-Mamiya lens adapters work? I've read good things about their 35-90mm lens. Two questions come to mind -- first, would it actually focus to infinity with an adapter, and second, would it fill a full-sized MF sensor (Leaf Aptus II 12) without vignette?

(Sorry for the thread hijack.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=coulombic;303180 If they'd release the 45-90, I'd buy one on the spot.
    [/QUOTE]

Well it is my understanding that to bring that 45-90 to market, it would have had to sell for around $15k , which I don't think they would have sold many of them.
    L

Post Thanks / Like

Is it only I who wonder why Phase-Mamiya do not have a portrait lens comparing to the legendary Zeiss Planar 110/2 ? The nearest they have is the old 80/1.9 which is good but not anywhere near as good. Or resorting to $$$ adapter to use V lenses... but both with stopped down metering.

It would seem that with Zeiss and Schneider having already old recepies of very very sharp stellar glass for Hasselblad and Rollei systems, why not base on those instead of total new designs?

Sure I have the Mamiya 45D among my collection still. It is tack sharp lens much corner to corner for pixel peeping, but in my impression total lack characater.

A question; are the new LS lenses only glass by Schneider or are the lenses made in Germany and glass installed and fine adjusted by Schneider?

Apologies, I do not really mean to bitch... but...

Thanks!

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new 110 LS . Have one here very very nice even sold my killer 150D to get it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The new 110 LS . Have one here very very nice even sold my killer 150D to get it
    2.8 and 2.0 is a difference in DOF and light to camera...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    It would seem that with Zeiss and Schneider having already old recepies of very very sharp stellar glass for Hasselblad and Rollei systems, why not base on those instead of total new designs?
    Those are 6x6 lenses, which are larger, heavier and more expensive to produce than 645 lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post

Schneider Kreuznach 120 mm Macro TS should be volume shipping by June

Lance
    If the lens resolution is that of my earlier Schneider Digitar 120mm Macro, it will definitely be a WOW factor...! No doubt you will do some sampling of the said lens in due course. Well done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    2.8 and 2.0 is a difference in DOF and light to camera...
    The difference in DOF in the real world is millimeters. And really can you see that difference in a image on its own. If it was a F2 add 2k more( if were lucky) and another half a pound of weight. Sure it maybe nice to have F2 but there are penalties as well. Also the whole lens formula changes and at those wide F stops a whole barrel full of lens astigmatism will come in to play.

Would I want one sure but this 110 2.8 is nothing to sneeze at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 110 LS has turned into my standard lens for people in studio.
    I am looking for longer for head shots, the 240 looks interesting for that or maybe a 150.
    too many toxic-to-wallet options here.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A 110 and 240 = Bliss for me

Post Thanks / Like

Speak to your PhaseOne reseller for a special offer on the 110/LS if you have this lens on order and do not wish to wait.

More info to follow.

Lance
    Could you please elaborate on this? Why would there be specials on this lens?

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Well it is my understanding that to bring that 45-90 to market, it would have had to sell for around $15k , which I don't think they would have sold many of them.
    L
    And yet, Contax was able to produce a really nice Zeiss T* 45-90 for around $3k on their 645 camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post

Victor
    Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    And yet, Contax was able to produce a really nice Zeiss T* 45-90 for around $3k on their 645 camera.
    I know I wish the Contax was still produced. It still is a great platform and excellent optics. There are still a great deal of people using it as a digital platform. We have received quite a number of IQ upgrades since it's introduction.

Yes and Hasselblad has a 35-90mm that sells for $7,495 that features corrections through their system only and does not cover the full 645 frame..

Lance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it. I really wish they'd bring a good 45-90mm to the market, though. All of these LS primes are great, but a truly versatile "normal" lens would be tremendously appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience using Contax-to-Mamiya adapters? Is there any issue focusing to infinity with them? Is the Contax image circle large enough to fill full-frame 645?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coulombic View Post
    Does anyone have any experience using Contax-to-Mamiya adapters? Is there any issue focusing to infinity with them? Is the Contax image circle large enough to fill full-frame 645?
    The (rare) Mamiya lens-on-a-Contax body adapter only works because the diameter of the Contax lens mount is wide enough to allow the narrower Mamiya lens mount to be recessed slightly into the mirror box and thus maintain infinity focus.

Going the other way, the difference in lens registers for the Mamiya and Contax bodies (less than 1mm) doesn't provide enough room to fabricate an adapter that will allow a Contax lens to be mounted on a Mamiya body and, of course, there's also the problem of figuring out some way to control the Contax lens' electronic aperture. In theory, it can be done -- where there's a will, there's an inheritance! -- but it will be neither easy nor inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post

Victor
    +1 - is there a better deal on this coming?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    +1 - is there a better deal on this coming?
    The ability to purchase the 110mm/LS @ a discount if you need something longer than the 80mm/LS and do not wish to wait for the 150mm/LS.

L

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coulombic View Post
    Is the Contax image circle large enough to fill full-frame 645?
    That's an odd question. Why would Contax 645 lenses designed for the full-frame Contax 645 camera NOT have an image circle large enough to fill full-frame 645?!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    What are the max apertures of these lenses? Just curious.
    Me too - very curious.

The leaf shutter must impose a major constraint. These fast LS shutters are all the modern equivalent of a size #0 shutter, right? That's a 24mm iris bottleneck that all the light must squeeze through.

Now optical tricks like magnification of the entrance pupil by a strongly convex front group can get you so far, but I would be astonished if the 240mm lens comes in faster than f3.5. Scaling from the aperture achievement of the Rollei Tele-Xenar 180/2.8 would yield a 240/3.7 lens. This being a longer lens, 250/3.5 should be achievable. At a price!

Ray
    Last edited by ondebanks; 1st April 2011 at 06:33. Reason: dumbass use of "amplification" instead of "magnification"!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    That's an odd question. Why would Contax 645 lenses designed for the full-frame Contax 645 camera NOT have an image circle large enough to fill full-frame 645?!

Ray
    Well, being that I don't actually know much about the Contax system, the question was akin to asking whether or not a Hasselblad lens would fill a full frame 645. Plus, I seemed to have mentally skipped over the "645" thing. My bad.

Post Thanks / Like

"Schneider Kreuznach 120 mm Macro TS should be volume shipping by June"

Anyone have updates for any of these lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

When is the message going to get through that the older designed-for-film lenses just don't cut it for current generation digi backs? As a rule of thumb, if your sensor has a pixel pitch of 6.8microns or less, you are going to need digi lenses. Even then, there are some misnomers such as the Schneider 35mm Apo-Sironar digital, which is a film-era design, rebadged "digital". It is only suitable for sensors of 9micron or larger (If I'm not mistaken, P25 era sensors)
    All those so-called "legendary" lenses are just that, legends.
    Probably not what you want to hear if you have a bagful of these lenses and just ordered an IQ back, but c'est la vie.
    This is why the likes of Hassy and Phase are suddenly releasing a flurry of new lenses - they have to!
    Cheers,
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com