The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 lenses

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
As a soon to be new Mamiya user (actually still have and love my Mamiya 7) I'm trying find info on the lenses. First annoying beginner question: is there an optical difference between the MF 35/3.5 and the D 35/3.5. I see there is also an intermediate, non-D AF version as well. Am I correct in assuming they're all the same optically?

I see KEH has an EX MF 35/3.5 for $379. The regular AF looks to be common on ebay at roughly half the price of the new D. How is the AF in use on the AFDII body; do I set aperture on the lens or body? I'm strongly leaning towards the plain AF, would that be a mistake? The D looks not very common used, probably because it's too recent.

woodyspedden

As a soon to be new Mamiya user (actually still have and love my Mamiya 7) I'm trying find info on the lenses. First annoying beginner question: is there an optical difference between the MF 35/3.5 and the D 35/3.5. I see there is also an intermediate, non-D AF version as well. Am I correct in assuming they're all the same optically?

I see KEH has an EX MF 35/3.5 for $379. The regular AF looks to be common on ebay at roughly half the price of the new D. How is the AF in use on the AFDII body; do I set aperture on the lens or body? I'm strongly leaning towards the plain AF, would that be a mistake? The D looks not very common used, probably because it's too recent.
Jan

first of all, great to see you here. I learned much from your responses on the FM site, particularly with regard to the thread on the DMR vs the Canon 1DsMkII and I am sure you will be much appreciated here.

Also don't overlook Kurland for sometimes new, in box, lenses. I just picked up a new 120mm macro HC for my H3DII-39 for over $700 less than the retail. ($2900). Good stuff from a very reputable seller.

Woody

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Woody, great to see you too! So this is where you're hanging out nowadays. :)

No Mamiya at Kurland...

I'll need to sell my DMR and R lenses to pay for the MFD setup, but think I'll hold off on that until after I have had a chance to look at both side by side.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jan:

I am not aware of a dedicated "D" version of the 35 -- ? I currently use the regular 35 AF and find it pretty good. FWIW, the AF version does have a more modern build style than the 45/55/80 lenses, being a metal barrel with focus ring push-pull for AF/MF switching. Mine shows soft-ish corners at wider apertures, which fortunately seem more due to field curvature than poor optical performance. Regardless, stopped down to f8-f11, it performs quite well and I use it a lot for landscape. The shot at the bottom was made with it at Sutro.

I also used to own -- like a long time ago back in film days -- the MF version of this lens. At the time I remember liking it and even have a print from it still hanging on my wall. I cannot give you a specific comparison though since I've never shot it on digital. My guess is they are similar optical formulae as they are similar size and weight lenses. Personally, I prefer the AF versions when I can get them...

Here is an early morning long exposure shot from Sutro Baths with the 35 AF. I am pretty sure it was f11 and a few seconds exposure:

Paul2660

The MF 35mm has a different build than the new AF. I can't tell you which elements and what are different, but I have used both. Both lenses are all metal as Jack points out and very well made. If you put both lenses side by side you can see that they are made differently.

I also am not aware of a D version. So far Mamiya has only put the "D" label on their brand new glass, like the 45-90 Zoom and the latest version of the 120 Macro. The D label telling you that the lens has been optimized for use with Digital Backs.

Both versions of the 35mm will show corner softness, not extreme on a P45 back. The CA in both lenses is nominal.

You should also consider the 45mm. It's going to give you better overall sharpness but has the cheaper plastic body, with no MF ring on the lens. You can get a AF version of the 45mm in the $400.00 to $500.00 range.

Paul Caldwell

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Very cool to have all this info at my fingertips! :)

I was initially going to get the 35, 80, and 210 for landscape and cityscape.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Jan

I have the Mamiya also with a Phase p25 plus back. I have to say being the lens whore that I am. I have been very impressed with the Mamiya glass. One that has not been mentioned here is the 300mm 4.5 which is laser sharp even wide open. Also the 55mm is a stellar lens and I do like the look of the 150 3.5 but will replace that when the new 150mm 2.8 D lens comes out soon here.
The one nice thing is you can get them used at very nice prices and even though I have the 35mm and 55mm I still want the 45mm and at some point grab a 120mm macro. But lately I really think I can do without a Nikon but still trying to see how that all flies. I have a runway shoot in NY in two weeks and normally I use 35mm and 180mm or 200 mm lenses but I am going to shoot the Mamiya and 300mm 4.5 and go for it. I don't really need the big file size but I really just love shooting this thing

David K

Workshop Member
Jan,
Good luck with your new kit. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of how it compares to the DMR. I think you're going to find that the Mamiya compares very favorably indeed under the right shooting conditions.

Peter,
Mamiya and Hasselblad make some great stuff and everyone knows it, even Rollei shooters like me. For some time now I've been wondering why people are more sensitive about their camera gear than, say, their cars. Aside from Victor who has that fancy Benz and Guy, who backed his Beemer into a lift a while back, I don't have a clue who drives what (and don't much care either). My philosophy is that if your gear works for you who cares whether someone else approves/disapproves. I could understand some sensitivity if criticism of one's work was the issue. (Haven't seen Victor post since he was told he was guilty of oversharpening...). But gear opinions... I just don't get it. We're all big boys here in this forum. I doubt any of us needs stroking about his choice of gear.

fotografz

Jan,
Good luck with your new kit. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of how it compares to the DMR. I think you're going to find that the Mamiya compares very favorably indeed under the right shooting conditions.

Peter,
Mamiya and Hasselblad make some great stuff and everyone knows it, even Rollei shooters like me. For some time now I've been wondering why people are more sensitive about their camera gear than, say, their cars. Aside from Victor who has that fancy Benz and Guy, who backed his Beemer into a lift a while back, I don't have a clue who drives what (and don't much care either). My philosophy is that if your gear works for you who cares whether someone else approves/disapproves. I could understand some sensitivity if criticism of one's work was the issue. (Haven't seen Victor post since he was told he was guilty of oversharpening...). But gear opinions... I just don't get it. We're all big boys here in this forum. I doubt any of us needs stroking about his choice of gear.
Thanks David. Long over due comment.

While Peter is obviously being facetious, I understand his irritation with the constant tone of superiority and denigrating of gear choices that others have made. One need only look at some of the work posted here from some Mamiya users to know this superiority complex is unfounded.

BTW, that I shoot Hasselblad 500, 200 & H ... and drive a Volvo XC90 and Saab Turbo convertible ... all made you know where is purely coincidental ;)

Guy Mancuso

Yes sometimes it feels like a Leica forum in here. LOL

Folks chest pounding is just that, this stuff works no matter what system you use. There all very good and maybe the biggest reason is this is the best gear around and the files show us that everyday. At the end of the day be it a Pro or not all we should really care about is the end image. Marc and I are Pro's and he respects my purchase as much as I respect his for example. These are just choices in gear not in friends and we all are friends. I like to see us keep it that way.

David K

Workshop Member
BTW, that I shoot Hasselblad 500, 200 & H ... and drive a Volvo XC90 and Saab Turbo convertible ... all made you know where is purely coincidental ;)
Any country that can boast Elin Nordegren (Tiger's wife) is clearly doing something right. Then again, the German's can counter with Heidi Klum. Now this is a debate that might be worth having :)

PeterA

David - I don't give two hoots what anyone uses and I am also quite confident that gear choice is a pretty level playing field these days. Also because I don't make a living from photography - I don't really care if this or that salesperson, fan boy or company rep gets their knickers in a knot about an honestly held point of view as I have no axe to grind and am probably more aware than most regarding the limitations of this versus that - this is what comes from being an obsessive compulsive regarding buying and testing stuff for myself.

Personally speaking I dont see much difference between any of the manufacturers - except in software and pricing.

The best thing to have happened in MF land is the resurrection of Mamiya and their working relationship with Phase One. The second best thing to have happened is the successful release of the Hy6/Afi camera platforms. I see evidence already of competition driving prices down and that is a good thing for everyone.

Personally I have quite a collection of HC lenses so I am happy to stick with 'blad - especially now that their backs are every bit as good as Phase One or Leaf.

Hope this ( again) spells out where I am coming from. I do have a wicked sense of humour though - that I will admit too! -:)

As for cars - I settled on Porsche and Audi years ago - but get the most fun sitting in my John Deer tractor on weekends.

Guy - I think you are unrealistic to believe that everyone is friends around here - I think that that guy ( whathisname??) Jack is a born trouble maker! LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy - I think you are unrealistic to believe that everyone is friends around here - I think that that guy ( whathisname??) Jack is a born trouble maker! LOL
Moi? What'd I do to deserve that title :confused:

:angel:,

Guy Mancuso

Yea but I have to be nice to Jack he is taller than me. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

woodyspedden

Actually Jack is taller than everyone and mean as a snake as well. LOL

You could not meet a nicer man than Jack and his knowledge of our industry, products and techniques to use them is second to none. Great guy to have as a mentor.

I'll see you at my second workshop in Florida to learn more about lighting, particularly with MFDB. Looking forward to meeting Andre as I have admired much of his work. (Mostly all taken with R9/DMR BTW)

Woody

bensonga

The best thing to have happened in MF land is the resurrection of Mamiya and their working relationship with Phase One. The second best thing to have happened is the successful release of the Hy6/Afi camera platforms. I see evidence already of competition driving prices down and that is a good thing for everyone.
And no doubt the LAST best thing would be for someone (anyone!) to release a medium format digital back to fit my Pentax 67 system....2 bodies, umpteen lenses and finders....mostly collecting dust these days (figuratively speaking, of course). :cry:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
Behind the wheel of a lowly Honda CRV....no point driving a nice car on Alaska's crappy roads!