The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 Prices

engel001

I have a SUNWAYFOTO Universal L Plate ($87) from eBay. There are two models and they work well on my 35mm equipment as well.
Other universal L-brackets include:
Kirk (two models, $150 and $160)
Acratech ($230)

Audii-Dudii

Used prices of Contax 645 gear are getting out of hand. I recently saw a Really Right Stuff RRS L bracket sell for $610 at the auction site! I have this myself, but there are much cheaper alternatives that work well.
IIRC, the one on eBay previous to this went for ~$165, which seems much more reasonable. For $610, it shouldn't be too difficult to have one custom-made by some firm such as S.K. Grimes and I expect even then that it still wouldn't cost nearly that much!

As for prices of gen-u-ine Contax gear (versus third-party products), it does appear the price for basic kits (body, finder, back, 80mm lens) has started climbing again, although the prices for lenses continue to fall. As ever, though, condition is definitely a factor (although, that said, I rarely ever see any Contax gear in "beater" condition ... why is that?) and sometimes a temporary supply shortage can cause prices of certain items to spike if somebody decides they really must have a particular item there and then rather than wait for one at a good price...

Fortunately, except for a good 45-90 zoom (the first two used ones I bought were good but not great performers, so I sold them on, but I gather that really good ones do exist), my needs are pretty well satisified for now...

kuau

Workshop Member
Is A Contax 645 still a viable solution for MFD?
How many years now has it been since they have been out of production?

Steven

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Production of the Contax 645 stopped in 2005 .

It is still a solid camera platform , the AF was a little slow, but great lenses. It has a great feel as well in hand.

There are still many loyalists out there. PhaseOne is still producing new backs in the Contax mount, even the new IQ series is available in the Contax mount.

I am sure Victor will chime in on this thread:D.

L

engel001

I believe these are some of the factors driving the prices in the segment I am most comfortable in, i.e. Brand New unused, Like New in Box:

1. Dwindling supply of equipment in those categories.
2. Zeiss. The only medium format autofocus system with Zeiss lenses. The 120mm Makro (easily found new for over $1000 less than the comparable Hasselblad H lens). Some have bought into Contax 645 for that reason alone. Or for the 45-90mm zoom. Or for the 55mm Distagon, a fast 80mm f2.0, the character of the 45mm and 140mm lenses...
3. Waist level finder available.
4. Ability to use all Hasselblad V lenses, some of which are fantastic bargains (i.e. CB 60mm Distagon).
5. Built in flash metering.
6. 1/4000 top shutter speed.
7. Intuitive user interface.
8. Demand from current users stocking up with backups or completing their systems
9. New users finding entry to MFD. Last time I checked, Hasselblad H and Mamiya AF lens prices have mostly reached levels higher than new old stock Contax 645 cameras and lenses.

I personally view this as my system for life and am currently using a P65+ back. It is actually nice not to have new lenses tempt me to "upgrade" constantly. Another five years of Kyocera OEM support is reassuring.

kuau

Workshop Member
engel001,
Have you shot with there 35mm lens and your P65+ back? If so how were the results?

engel001

Steven, how could I forget my favorite landscape lens. Three web images do not do this lens justice. - Christopher

kuau

Workshop Member
Christopher
Were they all'shot with the p65 back
How does the phase back intergrate with the contax?

engel001

All of these with P65+. I had a P25 before that. The large pixels of the P25 and Zeiss lenses were a great match, they had a magic crispness, but now I'm addicted to the additional detail. Just clip on and shoot. It's easier than film! :D

David Klepacki

2. Zeiss. The only medium format autofocus system with Zeiss lenses.
Just a fact check here.

The Contax 645 was the first autofocus system with Zeiss lenses, but it is not the only one. The Sinar M system is also a 645 system with autofocus Zeiss lenses. There are four Digital AF Zeiss lenses (40, 80, 120, 180) plus a Rodenstock Digaron 28mm HR lens adapted to support the Sinar live view system. And, it also accepts any Hasselblad V lens.

wyan

enel001, how does the SUNWAYFOTO L bracket fits the Contax 645 body (with or without grip)? Thanks.

yaya

Just a fact check here.

The Contax 645 was the first autofocus system with Zeiss lenses, but it is not the only one. The Sinar M system is also a 645 system with autofocus Zeiss lenses. There are four Digital AF Zeiss lenses (40, 80, 120, 180) plus a Rodenstock Digaron 28mm HR lens adapted to support the Sinar live view system. And, it also accepts any Hasselblad V lens.
David I think it would be fair to say that most of these were sold and serve as a rear standard/ shutter on a P3 and that very few bodies have ever seen a Zeiss lens...

David Klepacki

David I think it would be fair to say that most of these were sold and serve as a rear standard/ shutter on a P3 and that very few bodies have ever seen a Zeiss lens...
Well, I owned the whole system, including all the Zeiss AF lenses, and used it as an SLR almost exclusively. I also owned a compete Contax 645 kit at the same time so I could compare them side by side. After only a few weeks, I sold off my entire Contax 645 system, since the Sinar M was that much better. The autofocus was still the fastest I have ever seen on any medium format camera and the images were every bit as brilliant as the best Zeiss glass for Hasselblad. And, none of the AF Zeiss lenses for the Sinar M showed any CA.

I think there are many more users of this system as SLR than you think, although admittedly not a large number. Yes, many p3 owners bought the camera as a shutter, but they also bought the new Zeiss AF lenses. I personally know at least six other photographers who also shoot the Sinar M as a SLR, but only three of them are members of this forum.

engel001

Wyan, back to the Sunway bracket. I have both models and they are very versatile and strong. The fit is secure when mounted, but the battery grip contour is slightly oblique. The bracket's lip (the side imprinted with the manufacturer's web address) aligns itself with this contour which is not parallel to the film plane in the case of the MP-1 battery grip, but that doesn't really matter. Best would be of course if there were anti-twist pins on the bracket as there are two sockets in the undersurface of the camera or grip. By the way, plates for Mamiya 645 manual focus fit the Contax 645 perfectly and have properly spaced pins. - Christopher

Last edited:

wyan

Wyan, back to the Sunway bracket. I have both models and they are very versatile and strong. The fit is secure when mounted, but the battery grip contour is slightly oblique. The bracket's lip (the side imprinted with the manufacturer's web address) aligns itself with this contour which is not parallel to the film plane in the case of the MP-1 battery grip, but that doesn't really matter. Best would be of course if there were anti-twist pins on the bracket as there are two sockets in the undersurface of the camera or grip. By the way, plates for Mamiya 645 manual focus fit the Contax 645 perfectly and have properly spaced pins. - Christopher
Thanks. :)

Audii-Dudii

Wyan:

Another option that works fairly well is the Really Right Stuff Universal L bracket, Part No. MC-L, $105 plus shipping: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MC-L&type=0&eq=MCL-001&desc=MC-L%3A-Universal-L-Plate

It similarly has a rear lip that doesn't fit the battery grip especially well, but it will work. Likewise, the rear lip interferes a bit with the regular grip installed, but a pair of nickel coins positioned on each side of the screw are the perfect thickness shims to level the plate and it tightens down very securely, with the rear lip preventing it from twisting.

wyan

Wyan:

Another option that works fairly well is the Really Right Stuff Universal L bracket, Part No. MC-L, $105 plus shipping: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MC-L&type=0&eq=MCL-001&desc=MC-L%3A-Universal-L-Plate

It similarly has a rear lip that doesn't fit the battery grip especially well, but it will work. Likewise, the rear lip interferes a bit with the regular grip installed, but a pair of nickel coins positioned on each side of the screw are the perfect thickness shims to level the plate and it tightens down very securely, with the rear lip preventing it from twisting.
Thank you very much. I actually like the camera without grip (for lighter weight). :)

monza

Anyone looking to blame someone for rising 645 prices should look squarely at Jonathan Canlas. :)

Backs for the 645 are now in the 400-500 range (I couldn't get rid of them for $125 not long ago.) And don't ask about inserts...