The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

crazy idea?

danlindberg

I am a Leica M9 shooter. Before the Leica I have been using my trusty Fuji GX 680 III since -98, but now this is in its bag and never sees the light of day. The one thing I miss with the M9 is lensmovements and after a sleepless night yesterday I came up with a crazy idea.....:p

What if.....I was to make a backplate for the Fuji which holds a Leica lens attachment and made in such a way that the sensor is placed exactly where the filmplane once was. If I explain it badly, imagine mounting the whole GX 680 onto the M9 as if it was a Leica lens. Then use a large format lens, such as a 23 Rodenstock in front.

I could then set up the image with all the movements through the Fujis own waistfinder and when happy - up with the Fuji mirror and expose with the M9.

Could this be possible?

edit: I realise that a M9 has nothing to do with medium format sensors, but I thought that the concept qualifies the thread in here....

SergeiR

I am a Leica M9 shooter. Before the Leica I have been using my trusty Fuji GX 680 III since -98, but now this is in its bag and never sees the light of day. The one thing I miss with the M9 is lensmovements and after a sleepless night yesterday I came up with a crazy idea.....:p

What if.....I was to make a backplate for the Fuji which holds a Leica lens attachment and made in such a way that the sensor is placed exactly where the filmplane once was. If I explain it badly, imagine mounting the whole GX 680 onto the M9 as if it was a Leica lens. Then use a large format lens, such as a 23 Rodenstock in front.

I could then set up the image with all the movements through the Fujis own waistfinder and when happy - up with the Fuji mirror and expose with the M9.

Could this be possible?

edit: I realise that a M9 has nothing to do with medium format sensors, but I thought that the concept qualifies the thread in here....
fotodiox sells those. But not in leica mount of course, but i am sure you can ask them to make it.

danlindberg

I have now tried the theory in the simplest of ways. The Fuji placed on the edge of the table, filmback off and the M9 body on a tripod as close as possible (touching) the Fuji mount. Focus as normal through waistfinder, mirror up, black cloth over M9, Bulb on M9 and exposure by Fuji.

The exposure is fine but the image is completely out of focus. By moving focus on the Fuji or moving M9 body results in even more blur.

Does this mean that the sensor ought to be closer than is actually possible? If so, how come this can work with a CaNikon Dslr? What's the workaround?

danlindberg

Thanks for replying. However, I do not understand.....how could I focus via the M9? The M9 body is fixed at the back of the Fuji. I would appreciate if you could explain how you mean! Thanks :)

SergeiR

Hmm.. ok. Lets see.

Focal plane of film is where you focus at using viewfinder, right?

So once you mounted Leica on the back of Fuji - plane changes from where Fuji think it is to extra offset that inroduced by camera used as back.

danlindberg

Exactly. I positioned the M9 body as close as possible, but suppose it is still a slight offset compared to the filmplane since everything comes out blurred.

What puzzles me is the fact that there are mount adapters for sale for both Canon and Nikon Dslr bodies for the Fuji. Those sensors are even further back compared to the M9, so how can it work? What am I missing?

SergeiR

Exactly. I positioned the M9 body as close as possible, but suppose it is still a slight offset compared to the filmplane since everything comes out blurred.

What puzzles me is the fact that there are mount adapters for sale for both Canon and Nikon Dslr bodies for the Fuji. Those sensors are even further back compared to the M9, so how can it work? What am I missing?
I am pretty sure they are to be focused through camera-back, thus - adaptors aint got focusing screen. And ones that do have it - are for digital backs and you are to use that focusing screen instead of regular one.

danlindberg

I was sure I had seen a Canon on a Fuji GX but had trouble to find that info again. Now that I have found the youtube clip I realise that the whole housing is detached. Look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe44bk20Siw

The mount adaptor with the GX body still in place is made for various digital backs from Kapture Group.

So, I guess that my crazy idea, was just that...crazy......:loco:

My M9 will not work with the GX 680 III.

Professional

I was sure I had seen a Canon on a Fuji GX but had trouble to find that info again. Now that I have found the youtube clip I realise that the whole housing is detached. Look here:

The mount adaptor with the GX body still in place is made for various digital backs from Kapture Group.

I use a small body [without grip] Canon DSLR on my Shen Hao 4x5 [via adapter], my Shen Hao is about 2.4kg, even with the lens and board it is less than 3kg, my Canon DSLR with some lenses can reach 5 and 6kg.

SergeiR

1) your idea was not entirely crazy

2) what he demonstrates is not LF or MF. Its not even sliding back, its sliding lens. Which is a bit wrong in reality, as its your back that should move around affixed lens to get same thing as field MF/LF (or your axis slides with picture). May as well buy Lens Baby and DIY bellows and be happy. Will be cheaper too.

What you missing is offset. Easiest way to fix it is to either use focusing on camera body. Or you can use rangefinder and recess lensboard by same distance as your sensor plane recessed from what used to be film plane.

Then again - not sure about GX 680 :) But it will totally work with field or monorail or even press camera

danlindberg

I actually have a Linhof SuperTechnica 4x5 fieldcamera too but I hoped that there was a solution for the GX.
Thanks a lot for your input :)

SergeiR

No problem. I just happened to be about two steps ahead on very similar project ;) Coincidentally it includes Linhoff's american copy - Meridian ;) And speed graphics, that i still have hopes to figure out how to deal with digitally, so i can play with barrel lenses ;)