Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: crazy idea?

  1. #1
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    crazy idea?

    I am a Leica M9 shooter. Before the Leica I have been using my trusty Fuji GX 680 III since -98, but now this is in its bag and never sees the light of day. The one thing I miss with the M9 is lensmovements and after a sleepless night yesterday I came up with a crazy idea.....

    What if.....I was to make a backplate for the Fuji which holds a Leica lens attachment and made in such a way that the sensor is placed exactly where the filmplane once was. If I explain it badly, imagine mounting the whole GX 680 onto the M9 as if it was a Leica lens. Then use a large format lens, such as a 23 Rodenstock in front.

    I could then set up the image with all the movements through the Fujis own waistfinder and when happy - up with the Fuji mirror and expose with the M9.

    Could this be possible?

    edit: I realise that a M9 has nothing to do with medium format sensors, but I thought that the concept qualifies the thread in here....
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I am a Leica M9 shooter. Before the Leica I have been using my trusty Fuji GX 680 III since -98, but now this is in its bag and never sees the light of day. The one thing I miss with the M9 is lensmovements and after a sleepless night yesterday I came up with a crazy idea.....

    What if.....I was to make a backplate for the Fuji which holds a Leica lens attachment and made in such a way that the sensor is placed exactly where the filmplane once was. If I explain it badly, imagine mounting the whole GX 680 onto the M9 as if it was a Leica lens. Then use a large format lens, such as a 23 Rodenstock in front.

    I could then set up the image with all the movements through the Fujis own waistfinder and when happy - up with the Fuji mirror and expose with the M9.

    Could this be possible?

    edit: I realise that a M9 has nothing to do with medium format sensors, but I thought that the concept qualifies the thread in here....
    fotodiox sells those. But not in leica mount of course, but i am sure you can ask them to make it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    Great stuff! Thanks.
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    I have now tried the theory in the simplest of ways. The Fuji placed on the edge of the table, filmback off and the M9 body on a tripod as close as possible (touching) the Fuji mount. Focus as normal through waistfinder, mirror up, black cloth over M9, Bulb on M9 and exposure by Fuji.

    The exposure is fine but the image is completely out of focus. By moving focus on the Fuji or moving M9 body results in even more blur.

    Does this mean that the sensor ought to be closer than is actually possible? If so, how come this can work with a CaNikon Dslr? What's the workaround?
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    It means you not focusing on "film plane" thats all. Means you need to focus via M9, not fuji

  6. #6
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    Thanks for replying. However, I do not understand.....how could I focus via the M9? The M9 body is fixed at the back of the Fuji. I would appreciate if you could explain how you mean! Thanks
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    Hmm.. ok. Lets see.

    Focal plane of film is where you focus at using viewfinder, right?

    So once you mounted Leica on the back of Fuji - plane changes from where Fuji think it is to extra offset that inroduced by camera used as back.

  8. #8
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    Exactly. I positioned the M9 body as close as possible, but suppose it is still a slight offset compared to the filmplane since everything comes out blurred.

    What puzzles me is the fact that there are mount adapters for sale for both Canon and Nikon Dslr bodies for the Fuji. Those sensors are even further back compared to the M9, so how can it work? What am I missing?
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Exactly. I positioned the M9 body as close as possible, but suppose it is still a slight offset compared to the filmplane since everything comes out blurred.

    What puzzles me is the fact that there are mount adapters for sale for both Canon and Nikon Dslr bodies for the Fuji. Those sensors are even further back compared to the M9, so how can it work? What am I missing?
    I am pretty sure they are to be focused through camera-back, thus - adaptors aint got focusing screen. And ones that do have it - are for digital backs and you are to use that focusing screen instead of regular one.

  10. #10
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    I was sure I had seen a Canon on a Fuji GX but had trouble to find that info again. Now that I have found the youtube clip I realise that the whole housing is detached. Look here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe44bk20Siw

    The mount adaptor with the GX body still in place is made for various digital backs from Kapture Group.

    So, I guess that my crazy idea, was just that...crazy......

    My M9 will not work with the GX 680 III.
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: crazy idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I was sure I had seen a Canon on a Fuji GX but had trouble to find that info again. Now that I have found the youtube clip I realise that the whole housing is detached. Look here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe44bk20Siw

    The mount adaptor with the GX body still in place is made for various digital backs from Kapture Group.

    So, I guess that my crazy idea, was just that...crazy......

    My M9 will not work with the GX 680 III.
    I use a small body [without grip] Canon DSLR on my Shen Hao 4x5 [via adapter], my Shen Hao is about 2.4kg, even with the lens and board it is less than 3kg, my Canon DSLR with some lenses can reach 5 and 6kg.
    Tareq

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I was sure I had seen a Canon on a Fuji GX but had trouble to find that info again. Now that I have found the youtube clip I realise that the whole housing is detached. Look here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe44bk20Siw

    The mount adaptor with the GX body still in place is made for various digital backs from Kapture Group.

    So, I guess that my crazy idea, was just that...crazy......

    My M9 will not work with the GX 680 III.
    1) your idea was not entirely crazy

    2) what he demonstrates is not LF or MF. Its not even sliding back, its sliding lens. Which is a bit wrong in reality, as its your back that should move around affixed lens to get same thing as field MF/LF (or your axis slides with picture). May as well buy Lens Baby and DIY bellows and be happy. Will be cheaper too.

    What you missing is offset. Easiest way to fix it is to either use focusing on camera body. Or you can use rangefinder and recess lensboard by same distance as your sensor plane recessed from what used to be film plane.

    Then again - not sure about GX 680 But it will totally work with field or monorail or even press camera

  13. #13
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    I actually have a Linhof SuperTechnica 4x5 fieldcamera too but I hoped that there was a solution for the GX.
    Thanks a lot for your input
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: crazy idea?

    No problem. I just happened to be about two steps ahead on very similar project Coincidentally it includes Linhoff's american copy - Meridian And speed graphics, that i still have hopes to figure out how to deal with digitally, so i can play with barrel lenses

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •