The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BJP reviews the Aptus-II 12

Anders_HK

Yair,

Great and interesting review. Thanks for posting! :thumbs:

Now... why they have to resort to use a pet dog as target...???

...albeit the AII 12 seems to sing ;)

Regards
Anders

coulombic

I received mine a few days ago. Pretty happy with it thus far; though, there are a couple of oddities I've noticed -- when attempting to set a custom gray balance from within the camera, my images are often corrupted in very strange ways. When I reverted to default settings, all problems went away, however.

Yair -- could you give me a walk-through on the firmware process for Leaf cameras? With Phase, it was pretty simple, as there's a nifty, little utility that one can launch to check for any new versions for your hardware. With Leaf. . . I'm at a loss. I'm kind of assuming Leaf Capture is used to check for updates?

On a different note, I'm a little irritated by the fact that Leaf Capture seems to focus mostly on the Mac-user market. Updates to the Windows version seem close to a year behind the Mac version.

yaya

I received mine a few days ago. Pretty happy with it thus far; though, there are a couple of oddities I've noticed -- when attempting to set a custom gray balance from within the camera, my images are often corrupted in very strange ways. When I reverted to default settings, all problems went away, however.

Yair -- could you give me a walk-through on the firmware process for Leaf cameras? With Phase, it was pretty simple, as there's a nifty, little utility that one can launch to check for any new versions for your hardware. With Leaf. . . I'm at a loss. I'm kind of assuming Leaf Capture is used to check for updates?

On a different note, I'm a little irritated by the fact that Leaf Capture seems to focus mostly on the Mac-user market. Updates to the Windows version seem close to a year behind the Mac version.
If a new version of Leaf Capture comes out and it has a new firmware for your back you will see a message when you connect the back and it will then update the firmware

Capture One will do the same. Capture One is also your friend when it comes to Windows support

With regards to your WB issues I would suggest contacting support via the Leaf/ phase website so that we can look into it

Hope this helps

xinchenc

But can the P1 Capture One control the AFi camera body, setting the aperture and shutter speed via software?

H

HappyMartin

The Leaf AptusII 12 ships with LC and Capture One. Capture One appears to be a trial, it asks for a license key and I am unable to see one on any of my documentation. Do I need to purchase this?

More on topic I found the BJP review very useful but you can ignore the info on what computer you need top tether the back. I had an emergency and have managed to tether the back to an old Power PC mac with a dual 1.8 processor and 1.25 Gigs of ram. Slow but it runs.

My first post on this site. Unusually friendly for a photographic forum.:thumbup:

gazwas

The Leaf AptusII 12 ships with LC and Capture One. Capture One appears to be a trial, it asks for a license key and I am unable to see one on any of my documentation. Do I need to purchase this?
I assume it works like with the Phase backs. If your a Phase One digi back user C1 DB (digital back) is free and does not need a licence code. Will only work with Phase (and probably Leaf) so if you need access to Canon/Nikon etc support you need a pro licence.

G

Garcia

You can run C1 as Capture One DB with Aptus 12 without license key.

Maybe BJP tether issue is related to a low power output from it's Macbook firewire shocket. I can easily tether my aptus 12 to and old MBP C2D@2,4ghz. There is a firewire powered hub available from Leaf dealers just in case your (d)back gets hungry. :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
My understanding is
Leaf digital backs require Capture One Pro for tethering.
*Legacy* Leaf Backs require the pro version (they date to a time before phase owned leaf). *Current* Leaf models can run as "capture one db" (free, no licensing required, and without restriction).

Current and legacy models also work with the free Lead Capture if you prefer.

For a full breakdown see the release notes in the help menu of capture one.

- From the road, doug Peterson
Captureintegration.com