BJP reviews the Aptus-II 12

Another thumbs up, this time from the BJP

Enjoy the read!
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BJP reviews the Aptus-II 12

Yair,

Great and interesting review. Thanks for posting!

Now... why they have to resort to use a pet dog as target...???

...albeit the AII 12 seems to sing

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

I received mine a few days ago. Pretty happy with it thus far; though, there are a couple of oddities I've noticed -- when attempting to set a custom gray balance from within the camera, my images are often corrupted in very strange ways. When I reverted to default settings, all problems went away, however.

Yair -- could you give me a walk-through on the firmware process for Leaf cameras? With Phase, it was pretty simple, as there's a nifty, little utility that one can launch to check for any new versions for your hardware. With Leaf. . . I'm at a loss. I'm kind of assuming Leaf Capture is used to check for updates?

On a different note, I'm a little irritated by the fact that Leaf Capture seems to focus mostly on the Mac-user market. Updates to the Windows version seem close to a year behind the Mac version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coulombic View Post
    I received mine a few days ago. Pretty happy with it thus far; though, there are a couple of oddities I've noticed -- when attempting to set a custom gray balance from within the camera, my images are often corrupted in very strange ways. When I reverted to default settings, all problems went away, however.

Yair -- could you give me a walk-through on the firmware process for Leaf cameras? With Phase, it was pretty simple, as there's a nifty, little utility that one can launch to check for any new versions for your hardware. With Leaf. . . I'm at a loss. I'm kind of assuming Leaf Capture is used to check for updates?

On a different note, I'm a little irritated by the fact that Leaf Capture seems to focus mostly on the Mac-user market. Updates to the Windows version seem close to a year behind the Mac version.
    If a new version of Leaf Capture comes out and it has a new firmware for your back you will see a message when you connect the back and it will then update the firmware

Capture One will do the same. Capture One is also your friend when it comes to Windows support

With regards to your WB issues I would suggest contacting support via the Leaf/ phase website so that we can look into it

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

But can the P1 Capture One control the AFi camera body, setting the aperture and shutter speed via software?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by xinchenc View Post
    But can the P1 Capture One control the AFi camera body, setting the aperture and shutter speed via software?
    Yes it can

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: BJP reviews the Aptus-II 12

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Yes it can
    Just want to confirm that with you becasue your local dealer support told me P1 Capture One could not do that and my AFi7 does not work at teh DB mode.

HappyMartin

The Leaf AptusII 12 ships with LC and Capture One. Capture One appears to be a trial, it asks for a license key and I am unable to see one on any of my documentation. Do I need to purchase this?

More on topic I found the BJP review very useful but you can ignore the info on what computer you need top tether the back. I had an emergency and have managed to tether the back to an old Power PC mac with a dual 1.8 processor and 1.25 Gigs of ram. Slow but it runs.

My first post on this site. Unusually friendly for a photographic forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
    The Leaf AptusII 12 ships with LC and Capture One. Capture One appears to be a trial, it asks for a license key and I am unable to see one on any of my documentation. Do I need to purchase this?
    I assume it works like with the Phase backs. If your a Phase One digi back user C1 DB (digital back) is free and does not need a licence code. Will only work with Phase (and probably Leaf) so if you need access to Canon/Nikon etc support you need a pro licence.

Garcia

You can run C1 as Capture One DB with Aptus 12 without license key.

Maybe BJP tether issue is related to a low power output from it's Macbook firewire shocket. I can easily tether my aptus 12 to and old MBP [email protected],4ghz. There is a firewire powered hub available from Leaf dealers just in case your (d)back gets hungry.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    My understanding is
    Leaf digital backs require Capture One Pro for tethering.
    *Legacy* Leaf Backs require the pro version (they date to a time before phase owned leaf). *Current* Leaf models can run as "capture one db" (free, no licensing required, and without restriction).

Current and legacy models also work with the free Lead Capture if you prefer.

For a full breakdown see the release notes in the help menu of capture one.

- From the road, doug Peterson
    Captureintegration.com

HappyMartin

Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it.