The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hong Kong with a Hasselblad

First of all thanks to all who have given advice and recommendations.

This is my first attempt at bringing my H4d-40 on a trip.

I am still in Hong Kong, but here are a few photos.

frontosa

Workshop Member
Nice photos. Did you make it to Victoria Peak? Makes me want to go back to HK again. Thanks for sharing.

Gerry

fotografz

Looks good. What a great place to shoot. Street shots show how easy it is to use these camera hand-held now.

Suggest revisiting the processing on the first one to fix the sky/building halos ... the second shot feels like it needs the blacks tweaked to mitigate the red tint ... of course, IMO.

-Marc

Thanks Yatlee and Marc.

Good eye Marc. I should never do quick post work on the road. Did a little more street shooting today. Starting to get more comfortable with the Hassy.

frontosa

Workshop Member
Hi Joe:

The view from the Peak is great. With the increased numbers of automobiles, factories and other industries, there is so much pollution in HK. Going up to the Peak is a crap shoot. Last time I was in HK four years ago for a friend's wedding, I managed to go to the Peak three times (one early morning and two in the evening) and the view was awful. Again, thanks for sharing.

Gerry

Hi Gerry,
You are correct. In HK for about ten days and daytime visibility is terrible. I had to wait til sunset, evening or sunrise to get decent cityscape shots. Would love to see a great view from the Peak but I don't think it will happen. I share your pain.
Hi Joe:

The view from the Peak is great. With the increased numbers of automobiles, factories and other industries, there is so much pollution in HK. Going up to the Peak is a crap shoot. Last time I was in HK four years ago for a friend's wedding, I managed to go to the Peak three times (one early morning and two in the evening) and the view was awful. Again, thanks for sharing.

Gerry

gazwas

Hi Joe, great set of images.

How have you captured the shot below? Is it HDR, Photoshop highpass filter layer or straight from the camera as the detail in the buildings is amazing. And how have you got all the buildings so perfectly straight, HTS, photoshop or just good technique.

Thanks Gaswas. Used a 150mm at f/4.5, 1/10 sec, iso 100 on a tripod. Just a little tweaking in Phocus, but nothing special. I was shooting some panoramas and saw the ferry heading toward the IFC building. Didn't know if I had time to capture both or if I could get everything in the frame. Pretty lucky to get this shot.

Hi Joe, great set of images.

How have you captured the shot below? Is it HDR, Photoshop highpass filter layer or straight from the camera as the detail in the buildings is amazing. And how have you got all the buildings so perfectly straight, HTS, photoshop or just good technique.

lowep

Good to see the results of one of these things being used on a trip. Am wondering what difference do you see between the sharpness of your hand held shots and those shot on tripod (with or without cable release and mirror up?) though probably better to raise this question later when you get back and have had the opportunity to review the details.

Good question lowep. Because of my concern for sharpness I modified my handheld shooting style using the Hassy versus the Nikon D3s. Very often I switched to shutter speed priority and increased iso in order to maximize sharpness. Also, I tended to use rails, poles or anything to steady my shot.

I was in a dark temple and used a rail to shoot 1/6 sec and was amazed at the results. Unfortunately it took awhile to get the hang of this.

Overall I am very pleased and would not hesitate taking the Hassy on a trip in the future.

Good to see the results of one of these things being used on a trip. Am wondering what difference do you see between the sharpness of your hand held shots and those shot on tripod (with or without cable release and mirror up?) though probably better to raise this question later when you get back and have had the opportunity to review the details.