The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is buying a 55K camera justifiable... in the name of hobby?

kuau

Workshop Member
Jim,
If you are thinking Pentax 645D go look at theses images on this thread over at the pentad forum:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...5-6x7-645d/139755-my-final-thoughts-645d.html

The camera is very capable, in the right hands of course, the biggest challenge is finding lenses for it. Mostly used eBay stuff, some new "old stock"
But... if you are willing to go this route, you can save a lot of money, and even though there are very few 645D shooters here on GETDPI, I don't think anyone here can say that the body is not an excellent camera for 10K.
Nothing can touch it at that price in MF. A used P30+ back with warranty is 8-9K I believe, and then you have to get the DF body, another 5700 or so..

Steven.
ps. Signing up for one of Guy and Jacks workshop is an excellent idea, They have all the "toys" and you can see for yourself if MF is something you even want to venture into at any price point

Also keep in mind I am sure Canon and Nikon have some higher MP cameras coming out soon, that maybe in the hi 30MP range, though then I think you would be forced to buy all manual focus zeiss glass that can deliver the resolution for so many pixels.

Maybe I should go check out Pentax 645D vs Phaseone P40+ threads. Maybe for a hobbyist, a Pentax 645D is good enough, gives me the pleasure of taking photos and ability to print big-ish, either way, a significant step up in quality from 1ds3........... and at $15-$20K (with lenses) - relatively a pocket change compared to P40+, rm3di and lenses (28K). I guess I need to think through the lenses combinations here.

The advantage of pentax being its weather sealing, great battery life, hand holdability, a lot less 'surprises'/unknowns (to me) than Phase system. Except that I'll have to use auto focus instead of manual focusing that I'm used to. eeek!

.....still thinking...............

J

Jim2

On reflection, I think the answer is much like the response given a customer who asked the price in a Ferrari dealership, "If you have to ask the question, you shouldn't buy the car."
LOL probably! :D

PeterA

I am shopping for a new fun car at the moment - I use a VW Golf to go shopping with so it collects all the bumps and scrapes and dirt and it does its job. If I want to go for a really slow ride through the country I am thinking that a Lambo in burnt orange will do the trick - if you go for the 12 cylinder version you also get the neat upwards openning doors and if you hang on whilst it is openning you will probably be able to actually get out ofthe car..I know a bloke who can modify the door motors so that they poewrful enough to accomplish this task..

I can't use the Lambo for touring though as there is no luggage capacity - this is a cool feature as it will limit the blonde sitting in the pasenger seat to a purse - her lap will be my camera gear storage compartment - if I am feeling generous I will pack an M9 and coupel of lenses and if not she can hold a tripod with cube on it and nestle a large camera hard case between her legs.

Oh you say - there goes
Pete with one of his left field comments..

and I say ..you think cameras arent the same as above?

that mousetrap pick Marc put up is a tellling analogy - how many ways can one photograph a mouse trap?

I really enjoy marc's sense of humour too - one canread his image in all sorts of ways - he gives you guys the lo - down on using some tech capability - whilst at teh same time pointing out he could have just made pretty much teh same shot from a distance..and used teh megapixel count to crop exactly the same effect..

The dollar cost of these new high megapixel cameras is really high - or irrelevant - depending on the individual - do you 'need' the 80 megapixels is much like asking "do you need a sub 4 second 0-60mph" capability...

lets not kid ourselves with 'rationalising' these types of decisions - although they are fun to read! :salute:

Nubi

I recently got myself a 645d along with DFA 55/2.8. My budget was around 15K, and with many great advices I received from members here, I considered every option and combo available within my budget, both new and used.

In the end, 645d won out for 2 main reasons. One was the cost to performance ratio. I just did not think that aspect of this camera can be beat. Second was the weather sealing.

I have had it for about a month now, and I have not looked back ever since.

I have been only shooting seriously for about 4 years, and by any means I am an expert, and I am even somewhat embarrassed to post a link to my flicked site when there must be so many fantastic photographers here, but for what it's worth, I will post it here for your inspection and amusement. I feel like I am finally now starting to get a taste of what MF photography is all about, so please look at my site with a grain of salt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nubimd/

Currently, I have been on a road trip for the last 10 days or so, covering southern Oregon coast down to SF, where I am at now. I plan to post many more shots taken with my 645d when I get back to southern Cal in a few days.

Good luck!

J

Jim2

I am shopping for a new fun car at the moment - I use a VW Golf to go shopping with so it collects all the bumps and scrapes and dirt and it does its job. If I want to go for a really slow ride through the country I am thinking that a Lambo in burnt orange will do the trick - if you go for the 12 cylinder version you also get the neat upwards openning doors and if you hang on whilst it is openning you will probably be able to actually get out ofthe car..I know a bloke who can modify the door motors so that they poewrful enough to accomplish this task..

I can't use the Lambo for touring though as there is no luggage capacity - this is a cool feature as it will limit the blonde sitting in the pasenger seat to a purse - her lap will be my camera gear storage compartment - if I am feeling generous I will pack an M9 and coupel of lenses and if not she can hold a tripod with cube on it and nestle a large camera hard case between her legs.
In a way though Pete, it's much easier to 'understand' the usability of a lambo / ferrari than a tech camera. At least in my mind. A camera is much more complicated to me :(

With a car, the purchase decision is simply: can I afford it, and is it not too ostentatious. Period. My purchase decision of a car was much much easier than this even when the car was much more expensive.

kdphotography

....I can't use the Lambo for touring though as there is no luggage capacity - this is a cool feature as it will limit the blonde sitting in the pasenger seat to a purse - her lap will be my camera gear storage compartment - if I am feeling generous I will pack an M9 and coupel of lenses and if not she can hold a tripod with cube on it and nestle a large camera hard case between her legs.
Oh Peter, I am not worthy... :D

In a way though Pete, it's much easier to 'understand' the usability of a lambo / ferrari than a tech camera. At least in my mind. A camera is much more complicated to me :(

Are you kidding? The blonde accessory that comes with the Lambo/Ferrari is much much more complicated....always has been, always will. :ROTFL:

Don Libby

Just like saying what was justifiable in the wee hours can turn into coyote ugly real fast. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

J

Jim2

Certainly will cost more than 55k. LOL
But it will probably give more tactile experience than just swiping and pinching the back of an IQ180. I don't know how to focus with it though. Maybe using Hyper Vocal?

stephengilbert

"In a way though Pete, it's much easier to 'understand' the usability of a lambo / ferrari than a tech camera. At least in my mind. A camera is much more complicated to me."

Really? I live in Southern California, and regularly pass Ferraris and Lamborginis in my Honda as their wanker owners cruise down the street at a little under the speed limit. These cars are most often bought by bench racers who want to brag about how fast their cars will go, but never really drive them. And really can't: there are other cars in the way, not to mention police officers who insist on enforcing traffic laws.

I've had a different reaction to the new Phase backs than most posters here: I'd love one, but would be embarrassed to spend so much for what is (for me) essentially a toy. If I got one, I wouldn't want to tell anyone about it.

Don Libby

While I'd like to get an IQ180 or 160 I'm still stuck in the mindset that my P45+ still is the best back for what I do with my WRS. I can do long shutter and at the same time I can check the focus on the screen - maybe not as fast and as elegant as the IQ but it gets the job done nevertheless. I'll also say that I have the IQ on the long term list so the answer is while I might not get one immediately I will have one within the next couple years. All I need to do is get over the idea I can't do long shutters with the IQ. It follows my thinking of it's nice to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it (the ability of longer shutter activation). I'm off next week to Bluff UT where I hope to get in some star trails in Valley of the Gods and the P45+ should shine very well there.

PeterL

I've had a different reaction to the new Phase backs than most posters here: I'd love one, but would be embarrassed to spend so much for what is (for me) essentially a toy. If I got one, I wouldn't want to tell anyone about it.
But Stephen, you own Alpa gear if I'm not mistaken ;) - so must have had to deal with this before. Seriously, I feel the same as you. I have the IQ140 on order, and my wife knows how much it is (and understands), but I'm not telling any friends. "You paid how much for a camera??!!" :ROTFL:.....

Cheers, -Peter

fotografz

Just read through the whole thread again.

On reflection, I think the answer is much like the response given a customer who asked the price in a Ferrari dealership, "If you have to ask the question, you shouldn't buy the car."
As in ... "If you don't have the chedda you can't buy betta" ... oh, wait, I just said that ;)

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No can do ... it is the wifey's cash not mine ... I don't have two dimes to rub together anymore ... I suppose I could rub a couple of cameras together :ROTFL:

-Marc
Not sure my Sony and Phase would blend well. At least you have dimes.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
But Stephen, you own Alpa gear if I'm not mistaken ;) - so must have had to deal with this before. Seriously, I feel the same as you. I have the IQ140 on order, and my wife knows how much it is (and understands), but I'm not telling any friends. "You paid how much for a camera??!!" :ROTFL:.....

Cheers, -Peter
I just put my helmet on and give her a bat to take the swing. Just easier that way. Saves me from her buying shoes.

doug

I just put my helmet on and give her a bat to take the swing. Just easier that way. Saves me from her buying shoes.
I recently updated my photo equipment list (for insurance) and SWMBO gasped - because it was less than she's been spending on her horse :ROTFL:

BlasR

Jim, if you are married, go for.

Why? well let say you die, you have nice looking wife, she will find another man, in he will spend all your cash.

So now you look from hell what you had done, in nothing you can do about, while he spending your cash, So do like Guy he is changing camera every other months. So go for it. Its only cash, in if you get poor oh well, to bad.

BlasR

fotografz

Jim, if you are married, go for.

Why? well let say you die, you have nice looking wife, she will find another man, in he will spend all your cash.

So now you look from hell what you had done, in nothing you can do about, while he spending your cash, So do like Guy he is changing camera every other months. So go for it. Its only cash, in if you get poor oh well, to bad.

BlasR
This is the best justification to date ... and I speak from experience ... BTW, you don't have to die for it to happen ... just a divorce will do it. :(

-Marc