The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I-Phone holder

David Schneider

John,

Great meeting you at my studio a couple of weeks ago. Glad you made it! Sorry the ride in was so long.

It was really facinating seeing your iPhone holder and learning about how you made it. It's a piece of working art.

jlm

Workshop Member
am about finished with the first production run of 12.

prototyping led to the following:

each full revolution of the parallax dial moves the plates exactly 1/16" and is calibrated in 10 divisions, total of 2-1/2 revolutions available. On my Cambo, where the Iphone and camera lenses are 5" apart, the total movement of .187" allows the correct framing of a subject 26" from the lens

the holder will allow the .67x wide angle adapter from photojojo, (changes the widest angle of the I-phone to 28mm MF equivalent, without the adapter, the widest MF lens is 43mm). Viewfinge Pro has an option to adjust for the .67x wide angle adapter

bases will available with a hot shoe (cambo), or direct mount for Alpa and Arca

fine tuning on your camera for L/R aiming and infinity (zero tilt) is easily do-able (typically one time adjustments, if needed at all)

jlm

Workshop Member
Prototyping over and in production.

here is the final unit, this one has the Arca mount

jlm

Workshop Member
here with the hot shoe foot, mounted on my Cambo and tilted down 6 degrees to correct for parallax for and object 1 meter away
the tilt wheel has ten marked divisions, one rotation moves the plates .062". the little post has one mark per wheel revolution. 6 degrees is about two revolutiions

jlm

Workshop Member
basic functions:
click stop rotations between landscape and portrait orientation
Ihone rotates on phone lens axis, so no image shift when rotating
fits I-phone with thin case or no case
supplied with hot-shoe base or Arca foot; Alpa hot shoe adapter available as well
designed the for use with Viewfinder Pro software/app. This allows you to set framelines that match your lenses and the aspect ratio and size of your digital back. each frameline zoomable to full screen on the retina display

changes that are in this final version:
will allow a wide angle adapter for the i-phone (photojobo) corresponding to a 28mm camera field of view
black anodized finish
there is a user adjustment for L/R aiming, should that be needed
tilt is calibrated and has a zero stop, allows up to 26" close focus correction

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
back in action after a swamped few months of regular work.

hot-shoe mount (Cambo), Arca mount, Alpa mount

jotloob

Subscriber Member
John

My congratulation and admiration .
That is a great design and mechanical job you have done here .
I do hope , your efforts will pay off .
Best regards .

jlm

Workshop Member
after seeing Graham's cute little wide angle set for the I-phone, the wheels have been turning.

i just completed a modification that will allow fitting this little lens to my holder, i'm pretty sure I can do it without having to fit the phone case that comes with the lens, will make one this weekend. Parallax base and various camera mounts will not be changed

results:

with the phone in the holder, you can use the standard FOV (widest is 43mm on a full frame DB), or pop on the wide angle lens to bump the FOV to 35mm orn so.

also am adding a mod so phones with various cases will all fit

a benefit of the I-phone over an optical viewfinder is that you not only see the entire FOV full screen for all your lenses as fitted to your back, but you can zoom in. very useful for panos

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

after seeing Graham's cute little wide angle set for the I-phone, the wheels have been turning.

i just completed a modification that will allow fitting this little lens to my holder, i'm pretty sure I can do it without having to fit the phone case that comes with the lens, will make one this weekend. Parallax base and various camera mounts will not be changed

results:

with the phone in the holder, you can use the standard FOV (widest is 43mm on a full frame DB), or pop on the wide angle lens to bump the FOV to 35mm orn so.

also am adding a mod so phones with various cases will all fit

a benefit of the I-phone over an optical viewfinder is that you not only see the entire FOV full screen for all your lenses as fitted to your back, but you can zoom in. very useful for panos

Awesome. Great work John.

Steve Hendrix

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
John

If you can fit the schneider wide angle without the Schneider iPro case I'll place my order now for one to fit my Alpa STC. :thumbs:

Christopher

I would like to see what Alpa does, they promise a new wide angle lens for the iPad. What I really don't like about the Schneider version is that it is not wide enough....

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
After witnessing this in action at the DV workshop, I have to say that it was pretty impressive to see, and I think I may have to get one for my new Cambo :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would like to see what Alpa does, they promise a new wide angle lens for the iPad. What I really don't like about the Schneider version is that it is not wide enough....
That's my problem. I can see my 60 and 120 focals not my wides

Christopher

That's my problem. I can see my 60 and 120 focals not my wides
Let's wait and see. I am constantly looking for a wide lens, the problem is that you get nice .67 ones or fisheyes. which don't help at all. I think we would need something like a .55 for the 28 and a .45 for the 23mm...