Site Sponsors

Thread: Phaseone DF 645 V Grip - anyone has one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phaseone DF 645 V Grip - anyone has one?

I'm so out of touch I don't know how this grip works and how useful is it? How much does one cost? I've been away indulging in my other favorite thing - trading stocks that I seldom read up on photography stuff. Please share if you are using one. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phaseone DF 645 V Grip - anyone has one?

I had the opportunity to try out the grip and found that it was awkward (for me) since my hand seemed to not be shaped properly for it.
    After investigating various ways that I might get my hand re-shaped, I found it better to pass on it. I think that they used a Danish Giant as a hand model when designing the grip.
    I really do like the idea of camera firmware updates and hope that a future camera will be able to perform this basic function without an accessory. The built-in flash triggering system seemed nice too, if you own profoto air lights.
    <rant>
    This is a silly point that flash makers are competing on, that is the form of a module that might be used for triggering their various light systems. It would be far better to standardize on a module pinout that might be used in both camera and meter.
    I currently use elinchrom skyport triggers and have a meter with built-in pocket wizard triggering and a camera that accepts an accessory grip for built-in profoto air.
    stupid stupid stupid </rant>
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I had the opportunity to try out the grip and found that it was awkward (for me) since my had seemed to not be shaped properly for it.
    After investigating various ways that I might get my hand re-shaped, I found it better to pass on it. I think that they used a Danish Giant as a hand model when designing the grip.
    I really do like the idea of camera firmware updates and hope that a future camera will be able to perform this basic function without an accessory. The built-in flash triggering system seemed nice too, if you own profoto air lights.
    <rant>
    This is a silly point that flash makers are competing on, that is the form of a module that might be used for triggering their various light systems. It would be far better to standardize on a module pinout that might be used in both camera and meter.
    I currently use elinchrom skyport triggers and have a meter with built-in pocket wizard triggering and a camera that accepts an accessory grip for built-in profoto air.
    -bob
    Thank you Bob.

Wow, if your hand cannot grip it comfortably, I will have to stay away from it. ASIAN hands are even smaller so a guy like me will have to hold the grip with two hands! Guess I can then trigger the shutter with my left big toe. Not good.

Post Thanks / Like

I am Asian and it is way too big for my hand.

The grip feels so cheap and wobbly. If not for the 1/1600 dont buy it!!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would agree with Bob's assessment of the size of the hand grip. I have relatively big hands and I didn't find it comfortable, at least compared to a Nikon pro body or even add on grip. The other disappointing thing was the overall fit and build quality as it felt kind of cheap compared to the DF body and it didn't feel very solid when attached. The button on it wasn't very positive either. Mounting a tripod plate on the side/bottom of the grip isn't ideal either because it's basically in the middle of your handgrip vs the nice arrangement with the built-in plate assembly.

It worked well enough but seemed very over priced compared to it's build quality. I really think that you'd have to try it in person to see if it worked for you since this is a very personal item.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Goh View Post
    ... Guess I can then trigger the shutter with my left big toe....
    Thank God us Asians are flexible!

The V-Grip was "okay" to me, but not something that really got me that excited. Profoto Air and 1/1600 wireless sync is a plus. Maybe the next generation grip will be better. My funds for this year are depleted; any other resources I'd rather save for the new Schneider lenses coming out.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Guys, I'm sooo grateful to have ask here. Really save me wearing out my left big toe!
    New Schneider lenses coming? Please tell me more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Goh View Post
    Hey Guys, I'm sooo grateful to have ask here. Really save me wearing out my left big toe!
    New Schneider lenses coming? Please tell me more!
    See, http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25056

Hold onto your wallet.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The grip did not appeal to me at all with regards to it's ergo's. Just did not fit me.

Save money for upgrades and Schneiders is my plan.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I like mine. It makes vertical hand-helds much easier tho' I still do most of my work on a tripod.

I'm 6 ft 178 lbs and do not have particularly big hands. I agree it could be more comfortable but it's still very useful for me.

And the ability to update firmware for someone who lives 300 kms from the nearest big city is most appreciated!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I hear you loud and clear. Thanks. Bill 300kms! Wow! Makes sense just to have one in the cupboard for firmware upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like

i've used it on several occasions. i like it, especially the extra batteries - i hate having to change batteries mid-gig. i have large hands though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love mine and the inbuilt Profoto Air sync. I can wirelessly trigger Elinchrom Rangers and Quadras at 1/1600th sec, and the battery life is great.

The vertical Arca plate is nice, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just used mine on a trip and I definitely prefer it for verticals rather than without.

I don't think my hands are particularly big but it fits pretty well - but fully agree that it's not as slick as an integrated grip like DSLR pro-body. But then they never are...

The air sync works fine.

My only gripe is that the integrated L-bracket doesn't mate with my RSS clamps - the plates are too small and slip straight through the clamp. I'm hoping mine is an isolated prob and will discuss with my local P1 rep.
    Col
    --------------------------------
    www.zenfolio.com/colinlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colinlee View Post
    My only gripe is that the integrated L-bracket doesn't mate with my RSS clamps - the plates are too small and slip straight through the clamp. I'm hoping mine is an isolated prob and will discuss with my local P1 rep.
    I'm assuming that you have a RRS lever clamp? If so you may be out of luck because this is a common issue with non-RRS or Wimberly plates. They are a slightly smaller size due to the taper of the plate and won't hold. Screw clamps work fine.

This is well documented over at RRS's web site btw and definitely affects plates from Kirk & Acratech.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I'm assuming that you have a RRS lever clamp?
    Hi Graham - Thanks for the info. I am using the lever clamp and I didn't realise there was a difference in the profile of the plates.

I managed to workaround it by using an existing L-bracket from RRS that was for a DSLR+grip. Pretty much a perfect fit

Guess there's no need to hassle my local P1 rep afterall
    Col

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ironically I had to use a V-Grip today to upgrade my firmware in my 645DF from 1.1.4 to 1.2.1. to fix the bug that prevented manual focus lenses from working. This particular use of the grip is a godsend vs sending off the camera, particularly if your dealer is only an overnight courier away.

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine after trying one and this is my review so far:

VERY HAPPY:
    - using the same back's Li-Ion batteries vs AA batteries that always run out & need (time consuming) replacing in the middle of a shooting
    - FW update features
    - flash trigger features (I use Profoto)
    - high speed sync features

HAPPY:
    - ergonomics (but then I am 1.85m or 6.096 feet tall with fairly big hands)

JUST OK:
    - build quality (not really great)

UNHAPPY:
    - reliability in use, I had the camera stop working randomly and have to take out and re-insert the battery: seems either an issue with contacts in the battery slot (I tried with 5 original Phase batteries, same thing, so I don't think I have troubles with the battery itself), or with either the Grip's FW or the camera's (all are the latest available).

I contacted my local rep with the issue, didn't even get an answer. I am VERY unhappy with Phase customer support in my area, and honestly if i didn't like the products so much (especially backs & lenses) I would have moved to greener pastures a while ago.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the grip and for the most part I like it. My only comment is that the build quality is poor, it is not a flush fit with the camera body. Having used similar grips and battery packs on my Nikons I expected better from Phase One. That said, it makes vertical shots much more comfortable and I like being ably to use the recharged battery. (I carry four batteries every where I go.)

Googaliser

Poor Build quality, but ergonomics are great for me personally (6ft) - most noticeably for portrait shooting. Haven't yet sourced an appropriate quick release plate for the bottom. My RRS only works when the V-grip is detached. So lots of on and off depending on the type of work and that also means having to tinker with the handstrap each time which is a pain. Bottom-line - feels like a beta product to me, but useful to have in the bag
    M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googaliser View Post
    Haven't yet sourced an appropriate quick release plate for the bottom. My RRS only works when the V-grip is detached.
    M
    I'm using the RRS L-plate for the Nikon D300/D700 v-grip (BMBD10-L) - fits like a glove on the V-Grip Air and you still (just) access the battery compartment change to change batts.

Unfortunately it means shelling out for another L-plate whilst the one supplied by P1 sits in the box...
    Col

Googaliser

I'm using the RRS L-plate for the Nikon D300/D700 v-grip (BMBD10-L) - fits like a glove on the V-Grip Air and you still (just) access the battery compartment change to change batts.

Unfortunately it means shelling out for another L-plate whilst the one supplied by P1 sits in the box...
    Colin - really appreciate the tip. I have more RRS plates than any sane person should have. I just dug-out one for the Nikon D3 - which is reasonably snug on th bottom, but the vertical plate sits about an inch away from the body. Does the D300/Grip vertical plate fit snug ?

The other MAJOR issue with the V-Grip tripod mount is that it only has the thread and no stabiliser hole (or whatever that thing is called) - so it is prone to rotation unless the plate is sculpted.

M

Post Thanks / Like

...but the vertical plate sits about an inch away from the body. Does the D300/Grip vertical plate fit snug ?
    M - There is also a gap between the 645DF and the D300/D700 L-plate in the vertical orientation. The +ve of this is that you can access the lens release.

Despite the non-snug fit, I didn't notice any rotation issues. (Note the biggest lens I used was the 120mm macro so it didn't really stress out the L-plate)
    Col

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The other MAJOR issue with the V-Grip tripod mount is that it only has the thread and no stabiliser hole (or whatever that thing is called) - so it is prone to rotation unless the plate is sculpted.

Agreed!

Post Thanks / Like

M
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Goetz View Post

Agreed!
    Can you not cut a small piece of rubber, say from an inner tube? and fit that between the grip and the plate, to reduce possibility of movement?

Yes i know the cost of these items, things like this shouldnt be needed? but worth trying

Googaliser

Quote Originally Posted by carl-b View Post
    Can you not cut a small piece of rubber, say from an inner tube? and fit that between the grip and the plate, to reduce possibility of movement?

Yes i know the cost of these items, things like this shouldnt be needed? but worth trying
    The 'gap' is over 1cm - fine in an emergency - but not really ideal. I mean, why not just use some bricks and do away with a tripod all together !

jeffsalt

Re: Phaseone DF 645 V Grip - updates please

Hi I'm a magazine portrait photographer. I would like to know if any users/owners of the V-grip are still happy with it?

Thank you,
    Jeffery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I originally was not too happy due to the ergonomics and location of the front button, but the convenience of one battery type and moving to a rear button af operation, I use it pretty much all the time when planning portrait orientations.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have one but it is a love /hate thing. Been shooting a lot of fashion lately and with the arthritis in my hands its been a huge improvement for me on that level. It still is too big and not ergo friendly but long hours shooting vertical it has been great. I can handhold it very well as well as i have not even used a monopod or tripod shooting this stuff. I also been shooting sensor plus and if I get in the soup I just bump the ISO up.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

jeffsalt

My style of photography is environmental portraiture. Mostly lit, never tripod. I rented one for a week long shoot. But I noticed that the fit wasn't perfect, there seems to be some daylight between the grip and the camera body. However it did allow me use the camera like I would my 35mm cameras. I liked Guy's advice about putting money towards schneider glass, but they didn't come out with anything wider then the 55mm (which I'm happy with).

Thanks again guys I know you are trying to wrap up any projects before the holidays.

Jeffery Salter
    www.jefferysalter.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I got to handle on earlier this year while visiting Ken. While I didn't have a DF (or AF for that matter) and no thoughts of getting one I didn't like it on several levels.

I really didn't like the fit and this was on Doug's camera so if it didn't fit well there how do you think it'd fit on an regular/ordinary person's camera.

Didn't like that it had no way to shoot off tripod without attaching yet another plate.

I love the ease of shooting Sandy's 1DsIII landscape or portrait and the L-bracket adds little to the package. The DF on the other hand reminded me very much of an after thought. You'd have the body, the V Grip and then some sort of plate system all cobbled together.

Now that I've sold my Leica gear and am back once again shooting a Phase DF I started rethinking the idea and very quickly passes on it for the very same reasons above. If Phase changes it's body to include the V-Grip or something similar I might just get it. While I do most of my shooting on tripod there are times when being able to shoot in portrait mode handheld without having to be a contortionist just to reach the shutter would be welcome.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have one but it is a love /hate thing. Been shooting a lot of fashion lately and with the arthritis in my hands its been a huge improvement for me on that level. It still is too big and not ergo friendly but long hours shooting vertical it has been great. I can handhold it very well as well as i have not even used a monopod or tripod shooting this stuff. I also been shooting sensor plus and if I get in the soup I just bump the ISO up.
    Guy - you willing to rent yours out when the next upgrade comes?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Phoakm

Hi guys, may I know the wireless trigger on the v-grip air can able to trigger pocketwizard plus ii or multimax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They will trigger Profoto Air which I own both the D1 and also the 600r battery acutes

Phoakm

They will trigger Profoto Air which I own both the D1 and also the 600r battery acutes
    Thanks for the inofrmation. Too bad, I do have a acute 600 but with no air sync build in, currently trigger using PW Plus II.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can use a air remote just have to use cable to sync port to receive?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eiver_for.html

Phoakm

You can use a air remote just have to use cable to sync port to receive?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eiver_for.html
    Noted with thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I love it.

Fashion photography, studio and on location.

1. Using the same batteries,
    2. Profoto Air support,
    3. High Speed Sync,
    4. FW Update (not so important)
    5. Ergonomics: Fits my hands very well (6,3 ft)
    6. Vertical use on studio tripod

Cheers,
    Kai

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

there is a spacer available for RRS heads:

Really Right Stuff compatibility kit for L-bracket (Ensures firm connection with RRS Brackets)
    Phase One part number 71062
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I forgot:

7. Arca Swiss compatibility

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    (snip, edit) ...
    <rant>
    -bob
    Bob, your "RANT" is well appreciated.

Producing a huge range of proprietary radio systems is simply an irritating marketing ploy to force systems purchase, and is a disservice to photographers world wide.

I lay the blame at Pocket Wizard's feet ... they had started to become the standard, and was included as a built-in for a number of strobe systems ... then they rested on their laurels.

I do take my hat off to Hensel of Germany. They included both their proprietary Strobe Wizard, AND the Profoto AIR as well as the specialized (and amazing) Free Mask radio recievers in the Hensel Porty Lithium battery generators. Of note, the Porty AIR allows full control of the levels which is not possible with Profoto's own B600 AIR.

However, any system with built-in Pocket Wizard triggers is left out in the cold ...and you are back to buying new receivers or transceivers for every mono or generator with PW built-in. Simply beyond stupid

-Marc

(P.S., I'm going to reiterate part of this to the lighting forum for further discussion rather than high-jacking this thread.)

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32956

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I dont disagree a real standard would be nice and one would of thought Pocket Wizard would have been it. Now for me I love it with the Air . I have two D1 units and now a ACute B600 air battery solution, so all my lights in either setup or a combination can work directly with the V grip. Actually my remote is really not needed now. I'm shooting 6 models today both in studio and out and this is going to be great as i don't have to do anything but turn lights on and not carry the remote or deal with it. So yes i agree the standard would have been awesome between all the OEMs of lighting but I do give Profoto credit for having a very unique setup especially for us Leaf shutter folks that can do high sync work and have a remote trigger that can actually do it. I can actually shoot at 1/1600 now. As Marc pointed out I could even add Hensel lights to this. Yes Marc I noticed the power levels can't be adjusted on the B600 air. I can with the D1's though. Can't have it all I guess. LOL

FYI I came real close to going Hensel. Lets see how this Acute B600 does today, just got it Friday and now my Elinchrom Quadra will be sold after the head repair or replacement.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I dont disagree a real standard would be nice and one would of thought Pocket Wizard would have been it. Now for me I love it with the Air . I have two D1 units and now a ACute B600 air battery solution, so all my lights in either setup or a combination can work directly with the V grip. Actually my remote is really not needed now. I'm shooting 6 models today both in studio and out and this is going to be great as i don't have to do anything but turn lights on and not carry the remote or deal with it. So yes i agree the standard would have been awesome between all the OEMs of lighting but I do give Profoto credit for having a very unique setup especially for us Leaf shutter folks that can do high sync work and have a remote trigger that can actually do it. I can actually shoot at 1/1600 now. As Marc pointed out I could even add Hensel lights to this. Yes Marc I noticed the power levels can't be adjusted on the B600 air. I can with the D1's though. Can't have it all I guess. LOL

FYI I came real close to going Hensel. Lets see how this Acute B600 does today, just got it Friday and now my Elinchrom Quadra will be sold after the head repair or replacement.
    Yep, that whole set-up for AIR shows what could have been for the whole industry if it was standardized. Most senders top out at 1/500 with leaf shutters ... and there is no reason for that today. ... which the collaboration between Phase One and Profoto proved. Heck, I can't even squeeze out the 1/800th from the H camera without hard-wiring.

I've amassed an eclectic array of various lighting systems over the years ... All Profoto with R versions and PW triggered D4 boxes in studio ... and Hensel for location stuff because the Hensel Mini 1200 is so small and all the heads work on the Porty ... and Quadra's for super small take-with lighting (mostly weddings) ... which amounts to 3 different radio systems to maintain. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Hensel has had the remote adjustment of levels for years and years, and on location it proved to be invaluable. PWs seemed stone-aged after getting used to that ... fine in the studio, but lights 12' up on stands is a huge PITA to be constantly adjusting.

Including AIR in the new Porty L was a brilliant move IMO. People building an AIR system have the option of the best small lithium battery unit on the planet ... I mean 0.95 sec. recycle at full 1200 w/s power, and 450 full power pops per charge

I keep putting it the Porty 1200L in my B&H cart, and it's gone the next day ... darned thing is really popular. Ya snooze, ya lose.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea i could have gone either way Hensel /Profoto. Both of them are at least moving forward. Hensel was a stock issue for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    there is a spacer available for RRS heads:

Really Right Stuff compatibility kit for L-bracket (Ensures firm connection with RRS Brackets)
    Phase One part number 71062
    Yair - this is interesting...do you have more details/photos of how the spacer works with the L-bracket supplied with the V-grip? I cannot find any info on the web.

Thanks
    Col