The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How To Upload Capture One Raw Image?

cs750

I need to upload a single Capture One 6.+ raw image to another website. I have found the raw image in the proper "Session" and then done a "drag" of that image to an empty file on my desktop. If I am on the web site to which the raw image is to be uploaded, locate the desktop image using their "browse" feature and double click so as to start an upload to that web site, will what is uploaded to that site be capable of being opened by someone using the Capture One software on that end. Was there a better or more reliable way to do this? Thoughtful comments would be appreciated. Charles

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure that would be the best Charles. First most websites may not be able to handle that type and size file as it is a issue here as well. Best solution is use yousendit.com to yourself and send it than post a link for folks to download. Or like I do a lot is on my public folder with my mobile me account. I hope I am reading you correctly here on what your needs are.

cs750

I have entered the image in a photo contest where they have created a file in my name. They request I log on to that file (with password) and using their form upload my original raw file; they have assurred me they have alloted sufficient space in that file to upload the full raw file. That file shows the image was successfully uploaded (after more than two hours), but I am concerned that dragging the image to my desktop file may not have been the appropriate way to go....that perhaps I should have packed the file into an EIP file first? All of this is new to me, and I want to do it their way if possible. I am happy they want to see my raw file. I take their word that they have people who can open the image using Capture One on their end....I just want to be sure that what I uploaded was in a form they can open. Charles

mvirtue

dropbox.com or Amazon Webservices S3 to store and generate 1 time or time limited URLs will work. With S3 you can send a 2GB file.

With S3 you can use Firefox with S3Organizer to manage the files. There are also other freeware/shareware S3 managers.

Guy Mancuso

I have entered the image in a photo contest where they have created a file in my name. They request I log on to that file (with password) and using their form upload my original raw file; they have assurred me they have alloted sufficient space in that file to upload the full raw file. That file shows the image was successfully uploaded (after more than two hours), but I am concerned that dragging the image to my desktop file may not have been the appropriate way to go....that perhaps I should have packed the file into an EIP file first? All of this is new to me, and I want to do it their way if possible. I am happy they want to see my raw file. I take their word that they have people who can open the image using Capture One on their end....I just want to be sure that what I uploaded was in a form they can open. Charles
Okay it was setup for it than you should be fine. And yes Doug's advice too, better way to fly your files.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
dropbox.com or Amazon Webservices S3 to store and generate 1 time or time limited URLs will work. With S3 you can send a 2GB file.

With S3 you can use Firefox with S3Organizer to manage the files. There are also other freeware/shareware S3 managers.
:thumbs: We use dropbox a lot to ship big files around and it works very well.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am confused by the request made by the OP.

Isn't it a bit unusual for a contest to request a raw file? Usually unless it is a news publication or some other journalistic site where original file verification is required, folks want a finished image in some more common format such as jpeg or tiff.

-bob

Guy Mancuso

Bob my only guess and I agree with not crazy about this raw file request stuff myself is maybe to confirm image has not been altered. Only thing I can think of. Like to see these rules to be honest. Not a fan of contests to be honest.

cs750

Guy, Doug & Mark,
Thanks for your helpful comments. I really think the sponsors of the photography contest need to adjust their approach to large proprietary raw files. Attempting to upload such large files with the poor internet service many of us have is not a good way to approach this. It worked fine on the small jpg files. They want to see the raw image without any enhancements....which is pretty interesting for a photo contest; it appears this will be achieved in my upload, but I will offer to send a disk with an EIP file if they wish. One thing this has forced me to do is spend more time in my printout of the Capture One manual.....I need to spend more time there! Seminars and workshops play an important role, but unless they are recorded and presented to the attendants for repeated study and review too much is lost from the seminars. Thanks again.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy, Doug & Mark,
Thanks for your helpful comments. I really think the sponsors of the photography contest need to adjust their approach to large proprietary raw files. Attempting to upload such large files with the poor internet service many of us have is not a good way to approach this. It worked fine on the small jpg files. They want to see the raw image without any enhancements....which is pretty interesting for a photo contest; it appears this will be achieved in my upload, but I will offer to send a disk with an EIP file if they wish. One thing this has forced me to do is spend more time in my printout of the Capture One manual.....I need to spend more time there! Seminars and workshops play an important role, but unless they are recorded and presented to the attendants for repeated study and review too much is lost from the seminars. Thanks again.
Not shilling really, but Jack and Guy can give a good mix of shooting/processing experience in their workshops. Be sure to pick the one that has the combination of shoot vs classroom vs location that works for you. Some custom tailoring can be done I think if you ask nicely :angel:
-bob

cs750

Bob, I agree it is a bit unusual. Apparently they want to make sure the final version they are seeing is not completely "doctored", and I have no problems with that in this case. But it has been a pain in the neck which I hope not to experience again. Otherwise their rules, guidelines and approach has been very professional. I agree...I am not a fan of contests, but for numerous reasons I got into this one. After this experience I think I will settle for posting a few images on GetDPI.

Guy Mancuso

Love to see your results for sure.

Bob has been promoted to marketing manager . LOL

But he is right we can teach you all the ins and outs of C1, so can he. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I agree it is a bit unusual. Apparently they want to make sure the final version they are seeing is not completely "doctored", and I have no problems with that in this case. But it has been a pain in the neck which I hope not to experience again. Otherwise their rules, guidelines and approach has been very professional. I agree...I am not a fan of contests, but for numerous reasons I got into this one. After this experience I think I will settle for posting a few images on GetDPI.
We love images here. That is what is about ... besides the gear for those who have GAS.
-bob

cs750

No shilling issue...I want to attend a workshop with Jack and Guy.....but just can't get there in the immediate future; with scheduling, personal conflicts and spending all my money on Phase One upgrades (IQ180) I have to make do with a print out of the manual and what I can get from Capture Integration for a while. Doug, pm me about the cost for one full day of local instruction? Thanks again everyone.