The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How do you label your gear?

J

Jim2

I tried buying the Brother label printer but the label size and label material / paper isn't really ideal.

What do you use and works for you when labelling your gear?

PeterL

You mean like putting your name on it? Or something like that? Personally I've not had much of a need for this. I've labeled (numbered) my batteries with a simple sticky office paper label (3M), not fancy at all I'm afraid.

Cheers, -Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use a Brother 2430 PC label printer with transparent/white tape for labeling my batteries but not much else. I dare say that you could design some smaller labels for things like lenses etc too although I tend not to bother since the only thing I normally care about is which battery is which.

The Brother printer is useful in that it comes with some label design software and allows you to print series of labels with things like incrementing numeric fields etc. I just hate that it's not a Mac app!

Here's a (fuzzy phone shot) example:

Joe

Depending on the surface - [1]"Industrial" Sharpie - they have red labeling and are more resistant to alcohol and physical abrasion. [2] Paint markers - usually available at art supply stores. [3] Silver/gray sharpies - good on black nylon bags, but rubs off black plastic or metal in a few weeks. [4] Fluorescent fingernail polish - Walmart.
Be sure and photograph all equipment serial numbers and match with purchase receipts - send to Dropbox for relatively easy availability when filing police reports out of state.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
We use little little sticker tags like these for inventory control of our rental and demo camera, lenes , digital backs, etc....

The sticker tag is very durable, hard to remove and the printing does not rub off . Ours contain our company information and also a unique bar code.

Here are some example pre-printed stickers that are available from http://www.myassettag.com .

This may be a good route for you .

Lance