The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

phocus users question

kipling

just wanted to hear from experienced phocus users and if they are happy with the work flow provided by the software.

any comments on speed, fuctions, problems, etc?

is it possible to shoot, rename files, shoot, process out jpegs and tiffs, shoot...all at the same time?

thanks, kipling

PeterA

G'day Kip - I use Phocus but dont shot tethered so cant answer your question. As far as processing goes - I think in terms if IQ - it delivers a better outcome than the DNG to Adobe route - specifically colour mangaement. Surprising number of shots don't need any CS post processing after Phocus.

pete

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have to agree with Peter. I do a lot of fast DNG conversions so that I can cull out of focus and poor pictures rapidly...DNG import to LR2 and use grid with magnify to sort. Then I can specifically spend time on good shots in Phocus.

It is much faster than Flexcolor and the output is very good. I normally leave all of the DAC on. Color is very good and overall workflow much improved. The speed of processing is very good on dual 2.8 Quad Intel Mac with only 4Gb memory. I can always find something to do in CS3 like output sharpening, whether it is needed or not.

It is interesting that we still need to use Flexcolor to get the updates to the cameras and backs...I wonder when they will change over.

Bob

harmsr

Workshop Member
Bob,

Hassy tech support told me that they do not plan on integrating firmware updates into Phocus like Flexcolor. They are going to do a stand alone application for firmware updates soon.

Best,

Ray

kipling

thanks, i'm really interested in the tethered workflow. speed, size of the preveiws, stability, the possibility of processing and shooting at the same time while connencted to a macbook pro, renaming and cataloging foles in different folders and also about the tools for color and tonal presets. in lc 11 you really have very few options for tweaking. i'd like to make very precise presets with color and tonal adjustments (sort of like using diferent films) for specific looks while in phocus. this would allow an art director / client to see something while shooting that corresponds to the way the file will eventually look.

lc11 makes a beautiful file, but it's not flexible in that way.

any comments?

fotografz

thanks, i'm really interested in the tethered workflow. speed, size of the preveiws, stability, the possibility of processing and shooting at the same time while connencted to a macbook pro, renaming and cataloging foles in different folders and also about the tools for color and tonal presets. in lc 11 you really have very few options for tweaking. i'd like to make very precise presets with color and tonal adjustments (sort of like using diferent films) for specific looks while in phocus. this would allow an art director / client to see something while shooting that corresponds to the way the file will eventually look.

lc11 makes a beautiful file, but it's not flexible in that way.

any comments?
Kipling, I'm shooting tethered to the mac "Tower of Power" with Phocus a lot, but haven't tried it with my Mac Book Pro yet. Don't even know if the graphics card in my laptop will run it.

Just finished shooting a slew of 2009 Chevy wheels last night ... which is the 10th or so tethered studio job with Phocus so far.

Very fast transfer of full res preview image even using Fire Wire 800/400 tether cord supplied with the cameras. Very stable, with no crashes, Presets are a snap, which like with Flex can be loaded for continued use on other similar jobs ... or applied on different files with-in a shoot.
However, to apply any changes to the thumbnail you have to manually say so ... unless I don't yet know some way of doing it automatically.

Corrections in Phocus still will not migrate if you export as a DNG. DNG conversions are lightening fast, but processing to Tiffs out of Phocus is not ... which is why I still do some stuff as DNGs in PSCS3.

Personally, I have had very good luck with DNG exports to PSCS3 Bridge/RAW in terms of control of dynamic range. I use this when processing lots of images like those shot at a wedding. But I am much more skilled at PSCS3 than the newer Phocus. Time and practice may change that.

I have Aperture loaded also, however after the last upgrade it crashes on opening 3Fs ... but there is a work around I haven't tried yet.

woodyspedden

Kipling, I'm shooting tethered to the mac "Tower of Power" with Phocus a lot, but haven't tried it with my Mac Book Pro yet. Don't even know if the graphics card in my laptop will run it.

Just finished shooting a slew of 2009 Chevy wheels last night ... which is the 10th or so tethered studio job with Phocus so far.

Very fast transfer of full res preview image even using Fire Wire 800/400 tether cord supplied with the cameras. Very stable, with no crashes, Presets are a snap, which like with Flex can be loaded for continued use on other similar jobs ... or applied on different files with-in a shoot.
However, to apply any changes to the thumbnail you have to manually say so ... unless I don't yet know some way of doing it automatically.

Corrections in Phocus still will not migrate if you export as a DNG. DNG conversions are lightening fast, but processing to Tiffs out of Phocus is not ... which is why I still do some stuff as DNGs in PSCS3.

Personally, I have had very good luck with DNG exports to PSCS3 Bridge/RAW in terms of control of dynamic range. I use this when processing lots of images like those shot at a wedding. But I am much more skilled at PSCS3 than the newer Phocus. Time and practice may change that.

I have Aperture loaded also, however after the last upgrade it crashes on opening 3Fs ... but there is a work around I haven't tried yet.
I tried it and it did not work for me.

Woody

kipling

Marc,
do you see a difference in the results from Phocus, compared to Bridge/PS3?

Also, when you make presets, if you don't see the changes in the thumbnails, how do you see them? Just on the single large preveiw pic? Or do you have to manually change every single thumbnail after the shot? Not sure I'm following what you mean.

In other words, can I make a preset, apply it to a session, and shoot away, seeing the changes to the preveiw pics as they come up?

Thanks!

fotografz

Marc,
do you see a difference in the results from Phocus, compared to Bridge/PS3?

Also, when you make presets, if you don't see the changes in the thumbnails, how do you see them? Just on the single large preveiw pic? Or do you have to manually change every single thumbnail after the shot? Not sure I'm following what you mean.

In other words, can I make a preset, apply it to a session, and shoot away, seeing the changes to the preveiw pics as they come up?

Thanks!
Yes, if you do a preset, they'll show up in the thumbs ... it kinda like setting up a custom default in PSCS3.

Yes you do see custom one-by-one changes in the thumbs, but for that you have to manually save them. Changes other than the presets are not applied to the thumbnails until you save them ... > Image > Save Adjustments.

You can batch apply adjustments also.

I

infantryman

Dear Support:

I had been trying to make an interpolation from a file captured with an CWD system through Phocus 1.1 and a new MBP 2.4 Ghz Intel core @ duo with 4 Go RAM.

Unfortunely all my customizing options of sizes hadn't rewarded my efforts.

I'm currently in Mexico City and yesterday i meet Mic & Bruce from Hasselblad during a presentation of the new H3D II and Phocus software.

They couldn't mention to me from where this issue can be come and how to solve it and recommend me to get in contact with you.

I'm including hereby a few screenshoots showing all my sequence from the capture to the final exportation.

So far, what i've got is always the same TIFF 16 file at the native resolution from the digital back without any increase on size and weigth.

Thank you very much for your atention and help.

Looking forward to hear from you and whishig all best regards.

--
FERNANDO ETULAIN
web.mac.com/fernandoetulain
fernandoetulain.blogspot.com

woodyspedden

My understanding is that you can now update firmware through Phocus 1.1. I just downloaded my copy and under the file menu there is an "update firmware" line so I suppose this is true.

Woody

I

infantryman

Dear All:

As far we learn by ourself intuitions and knowledge rises over the top of darkness, needless to ask on this forums, THANK EVERY ONE TO care to help.

I'VE GOT THE ANSWER ... if any one interested i will appreciate a post.

by the way ... [email protected] they NEVER answer as well !!??

very dissapointed indeed !

best regards.

fernandoetulain.blogspot.com

woodyspedden

Bob,

Hassy tech support told me that they do not plan on integrating firmware updates into Phocus like Flexcolor. They are going to do a stand alone application for firmware updates soon.

Best,

Ray
Ray

Are you using the new Phocus 1.1? There is a menu item which says "firmware update" which i would assume means that you can update firmware directly from 1.1 without any necessity of using Flexcolor. If I am misinterpreting this I would love to know. Sure looks like you can update directly from Phocus 1.1

Hey PaulHasselblad, where are you. Can this actually be done through Phocus 1.1 as would be implied from the menu options?

The curious want to know

Thanks

Woody

Ray

Are you using the new Phocus 1.1? There is a menu item which says "firmware update" which i would assume means that you can update firmware directly from 1.1 without any necessity of using Flexcolor. If I am misinterpreting this I would love to know. Sure looks like you can update directly from Phocus 1.1

Hey PaulHasselblad, where are you. Can this actually be done through Phocus 1.1 as would be implied from the menu options?

The curious want to know

Thanks

Woody
Yes the functionality to update firmware via Phocus has been included in v1.1 and it does work as i have tested this personally. I have the technical document already written and currently i am waiting for final firmware file for verification and ensure that no changes are necessary to said document.

If there is interest from the group, i can post the document.

You will need to use a "combined.hbf" file to perform the upgrade and if you've done the upgrade via Flexcolor the process is the nearly indentical.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA