Site Sponsors

Thread: Photoshoot - First time with a P40+

Post Thanks / Like

Photoshoot - First time with a P40+

Hi,

After lurking for a while, I rented a digital back for a photoshoot.

I want to thank Lance from Digital Transitions. He made the rental process extremely easy (you could say it was white glove treatment since he brought me the back from NY to Philly).

I'm used to using a lot of video lights nowadays since the 35mm high ISO possibilities. I used the Quantum TD4 for this shoot so there was no modeling light making it a little difficult to "visualize" the image. Beautiful files, but I need to get some lights with a modeling light to make my life easier (especially when you have somebody rushing you all the time; it was a shoot with multiple models and multiple looks).

This is a quick image from the shoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Photoshoot - First time with a P40+

The next move is to buy this back and add studio lights [monolights] and you are there!
    Nice shot, btw!!!

Good luck!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Valentin -

1) gratz
    2) IMHO throw away quantum weebly - i dont get why people like them - they are underpowered. Tons of good portable gear out there , giving you better bang for the buck
    3) do not rely on modeling lights. This is biggest problem i am keep seeing with me students on workshops. Unless physics of light change all the sudden (ok.. there could be some freakishly powerful electro-magnetic source nearby, causing light to bend, but then modeling light is least of your problems ) - its going straight. Only thing you may miss for a while without modeling light - are some funky shadows from hands and objects. Face - dead easy to light. Just think how flashlight will work and aim accordingly. May require 3-5 takes at first, but later you should be able to pose and shoot in 1-2 takes.. At least with portables. That said - almost all portables now have LED built-in modeling lights that do come handy to aim in darkness ). (e.g - think how this shot would look , without changing a thing, but moving that same source to the left top position, aimed slightly towards camera, may be with reflector where light source is now )

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. The irony is that I sold my monolights years ago since I wasn't using them much.

Once I get more jobs that requires the MF, I'll get another set. The modeling lights makes the setup easier (while a great back, the screen is crappy and you can't make any judgments on it besides exposure; and even that it's not really good).

It was a good change of pace, but I still relied on my 5D MKII I know how that camera works and looks so I don't have to worry about it.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Valentin,

I like this image, the warm, rich tones of the wood really blend nicely with the overall composition.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Johnny.

Post Thanks / Like

Valentin,

Good you are doing your homework.

Yea, modeling lights help with focusing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes David ... it helps handling the back in an actual job (and not just a demo).