The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I've joined the club!

bensonga

I dove into the deep end of the pool today......I called Steve Hendrix and placed an order for the 503CWD-II kit with the 40mm lens. Yeow! I've never spent that much on a camera before....never thought I would, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the kit with that 40mm lens. I think the whole setup will work nicely with the PME45 finder I bought a few months ago.

I'm going to be on vacation for 10 days in the last half of July (motorcycle trip thru Washington and Oregon.....looking forward to some hot and sunny weather for a change), so I asked Steve to hold off shipping the camera to me until the end of July. I hope to post a few shots from the CFV-II in August. :D

My thanks to the many folks here who have shared their images, experience and knowledge about MF DBs (and the CFV in particular). I also appreciated Steve's help and assistance (a real nice change from the usual mail order buying experiences I've had over the past 30 years). I've learned quite alot in just the past several weeks on this forum....thanks again!

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Congrats Gary ... Enjoy the bike ride. Even though it's wise to not pack the new camera for a bumpy bike ride, I'm certain there will have to be a few points along the journey where it'd great to be able to pull it out for a shot or two.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great news Gary , that is a nice setup and I wish you many wonderful images with it. We want images . LOL

bensonga

Congrats Gary ... Enjoy the bike ride. Even though it's wise to not pack the new camera for a bumpy bike ride, I'm certain there will have to be a few points along the journey where it'd great to be able to pull it out for a shot or two.
Just like my 501CM or P67.....this camera will be staying home when I'm out for a ride on the motorcycles. I have a trusty Canon G2 that's usually in my tank bag, unless I want to get serious. If I'm realy out to take pictures and ride....I take a 20D in a small Lowe Pro case that fits in my side case luggage....but that's as much as I'm willing to risk (vibrations, etc).

It would be nice to take a long road trip someday with a car full of photo gear! :thumbs:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice! Which back is that?

What do you ride? Since you sport a 'stich in your avatar, I suspect a beemer? (I have a red stich, silver '01 R1150GS :D)

PeterA

Nice choice - enjoy! (I sometimes put my M8 in a backpack when going for a blast on my Ducati) :)

bensonga

Jan & Peter,

1150GS.....yup, I had one of those once (blue/white 2002)....truly the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles! :)

Ducati....I had a '98 900 Supersport FE (Final Edition), silver...I never should have sold that one! :(

At one time, between my wife and I, we had 11 motorcycles crammed into our two car garage (needless to say, the cars live outside). Not a single HD or cruiser in the bunch....nothing against them per se.....just not our style of riding. That was just too many bikes for the available space....had to move 2-3 bikes to get to some of the others. We're down to 8 motorcycles here in Alaska now and 2 stored at a friend's house outside of Seattle. Love to ride, just wish we had better weather, a longer season and more roads up here!

Favorite trip in Alaska is to take the dual sports (F650GS hers....V-Strom 650 mine) over to Dawson City in the Yukon. Very cool place, great scenery along the way and 100 miles of gravel road on the Top of the World "highway".

But, personally, I love a winding, paved two lane road out in the country. We've ridden quite a few of them in WA & OR over the past few years. One of these days, we'll make it down into northern California.

So many roads, so little time!

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
His - BMW 1100RT, Honda VFR800, Suzuki V-Strom 650, Kawasaki W650 & ZR-7S (Seatttle)
Hers - Honda 150 scooter, BMW F650GS, Kawasaki Ninja 650 (2, AK & WA) & W650

bensonga

Nice! Which back is that?
It's the CFV-II back, with the 503CW body. The latest kit substitutes the 40mm CFE IF lens for the 80mm lens. Since I already have an 80mm, getting the 40mm included in the kit (for a very good price) was the clincher for me.

It cost more than twice what I've ever paid for a camera before....but I finally figured (yeah ok, rationalized!) that while it was about the cost of a new motorcycle, the insurance and annual maintenance should be a lot less. So really, I'm saving money in the long run, right? :ROTFL:

Gary

PeterA

996 SPS 'Pista' one of 150 ever made - the last of the real racing Dukes-:) Love your Beemer..

fotografz

996 SPS 'Pista' one of 150 ever made - the last of the real racing Dukes-:) Love your Beemer..
Damned Peter, you have all the toys :)

I suppose you use Ducati CF cards also ... which is about as close as I'll get to one ... :ROTFL:

jlm

Workshop Member
i'm going to forego shooting today to take a ride up the Hudson on my Roadking. The Roadking is a capable cruiser, albeit a dinosuar; had a long line of bikes before; used to blast around Oregon on Nortons (had three), then ducati's in NY (had two, last was an 851)

you will love that camera, you might consider the prism finder as well, the one i have (90) has a meter, a pretty good one.

jm

bensonga

996 SPS 'Pista' one of 150 ever made - the last of the real racing Dukes-:)
Peter -- that is a real beauty! :thumbs: There is nothing like the sound of a Ducati. I hope you have the roads or a track nearby to really enjoy the handling and power of that Duc....we don't have either in Alaska. I'm headed to the Columbia River Valley and looking forward to riding roads like this one for 10 days. Even with a lowly air-cooled 750cc inline four like this very modest ZR-7S, loaded down with luggage...these roads are like a slice of heaven to me! :D
Gary

Last edited:

robmac

Congrats on new system - very nice. Looking fwd to hearing your impressions when you get back.

On bikes - wife and I both ride. Currently on KTM street and dirts, but have owned in past BMW 1150GS (his/hers), 1150R (hers), 1100S (his) and a long list of Ducs - 900FE (NEVER should have sold it), 900SS new design (NEVER should have bought it), 888SPO (sweet ride), 750M, 900M wife had modified into an uber-cafe racer, 748 biposto, 916 monopost. Miss the Ducs - nothing quite sounds (or handles) quite like them.

bensonga

i'm going to forego shooting today to take a ride up the Hudson on my Roadking. The Roadking is a capable cruiser, albeit a dinosuar; had a long line of bikes before; used to blast around Oregon on Nortons (had three), then ducati's in NY (had two, last was an 851)

you will love that camera, you might consider the prism finder as well, the one i have (90) has a meter, a pretty good one.

jm
Enjoy the ride JLM! I've heard there are some terrific roads on the east coast...I've just never been there to explore them (yet). I rode a friend's Road King a few times and enjoyed it....a very different riding experience from anything I've ever owned.

I picked up a PME45 finder recently....it should work pretty well on the 503CWD. I mostly use a hand held meter and my style is more of the slow and methodical approach...which is why manual focus still suits me fine (although my old eyes are beginning to think otherwise).

Your photos from the shipyard with the CFV really inspired me to take the plunge!

Gary

Last edited: