Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I've joined the club!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've joined the club!

I dove into the deep end of the pool today......I called Steve Hendrix and placed an order for the 503CWD-II kit with the 40mm lens. Yeow! I've never spent that much on a camera before....never thought I would, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the kit with that 40mm lens. I think the whole setup will work nicely with the PME45 finder I bought a few months ago.

I'm going to be on vacation for 10 days in the last half of July (motorcycle trip thru Washington and Oregon.....looking forward to some hot and sunny weather for a change), so I asked Steve to hold off shipping the camera to me until the end of July. I hope to post a few shots from the CFV-II in August.

My thanks to the many folks here who have shared their images, experience and knowledge about MF DBs (and the CFV in particular). I also appreciated Steve's help and assistance (a real nice change from the usual mail order buying experiences I've had over the past 30 years). I've learned quite alot in just the past several weeks on this forum....thanks again!

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I've joined the club!

WOW... Very Nice...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats on the new kit Gary. Looking forward to some images from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Gary ... Enjoy the bike ride. Even though it's wise to not pack the new camera for a bumpy bike ride, I'm certain there will have to be a few points along the journey where it'd great to be able to pull it out for a shot or two.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great news Gary , that is a nice setup and I wish you many wonderful images with it. We want images . LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Congrats Gary ... Enjoy the bike ride. Even though it's wise to not pack the new camera for a bumpy bike ride, I'm certain there will have to be a few points along the journey where it'd great to be able to pull it out for a shot or two.
    Just like my 501CM or P67.....this camera will be staying home when I'm out for a ride on the motorcycles. I have a trusty Canon G2 that's usually in my tank bag, unless I want to get serious. If I'm realy out to take pictures and ride....I take a 20D in a small Lowe Pro case that fits in my side case luggage....but that's as much as I'm willing to risk (vibrations, etc).

It would be nice to take a long road trip someday with a car full of photo gear!

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Gary, welcome to the digital MF fold
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Which back is that?

What do you ride? Since you sport a 'stich in your avatar, I suspect a beemer? (I have a red stich, silver '01 R1150GS )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice choice - enjoy! (I sometimes put my M8 in a backpack when going for a blast on my Ducati)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jan & Peter,

1150GS.....yup, I had one of those once (blue/white 2002)....truly the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles!

Ducati....I had a '98 900 Supersport FE (Final Edition), silver...I never should have sold that one!

At one time, between my wife and I, we had 11 motorcycles crammed into our two car garage (needless to say, the cars live outside). Not a single HD or cruiser in the bunch....nothing against them per se.....just not our style of riding. That was just too many bikes for the available space....had to move 2-3 bikes to get to some of the others. We're down to 8 motorcycles here in Alaska now and 2 stored at a friend's house outside of Seattle. Love to ride, just wish we had better weather, a longer season and more roads up here!

Favorite trip in Alaska is to take the dual sports (F650GS hers....V-Strom 650 mine) over to Dawson City in the Yukon. Very cool place, great scenery along the way and 100 miles of gravel road on the Top of the World "highway".

But, personally, I love a winding, paved two lane road out in the country. We've ridden quite a few of them in WA & OR over the past few years. One of these days, we'll make it down into northern California.

So many roads, so little time!

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska
    His - BMW 1100RT, Honda VFR800, Suzuki V-Strom 650, Kawasaki W650 & ZR-7S (Seatttle)
    Hers - Honda 150 scooter, BMW F650GS, Kawasaki Ninja 650 (2, AK & WA) & W650

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Nice! Which back is that?
    It's the CFV-II back, with the 503CW body. The latest kit substitutes the 40mm CFE IF lens for the 80mm lens. Since I already have an 80mm, getting the 40mm included in the kit (for a very good price) was the clincher for me.

It cost more than twice what I've ever paid for a camera before....but I finally figured (yeah ok, rationalized!) that while it was about the cost of a new motorcycle, the insurance and annual maintenance should be a lot less. So really, I'm saving money in the long run, right?

Gary

Natasa Stojsic

Way to go Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers! Gary.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy snaps Gary. It's great gear and the 40IF is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

996 SPS 'Pista' one of 150 ever made - the last of the real racing Dukes- Love your Beemer..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    996 SPS 'Pista' one of 150 ever made - the last of the real racing Dukes- Love your Beemer..
    Damned Peter, you have all the toys

I suppose you use Ducati CF cards also ... which is about as close as I'll get to one ...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm going to forego shooting today to take a ride up the Hudson on my Roadking. The Roadking is a capable cruiser, albeit a dinosuar; had a long line of bikes before; used to blast around Oregon on Nortons (had three), then ducati's in NY (had two, last was an 851)

you will love that camera, you might consider the prism finder as well, the one i have (90) has a meter, a pretty good one.

jm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

996 SPS 'Pista' one of 150 ever made - the last of the real racing Dukes-
    Peter -- that is a real beauty! There is nothing like the sound of a Ducati. I hope you have the roads or a track nearby to really enjoy the handling and power of that Duc....we don't have either in Alaska. I'm headed to the Columbia River Valley and looking forward to riding roads like this one for 10 days. Even with a lowly air-cooled 750cc inline four like this very modest ZR-7S, loaded down with luggage...these roads are like a slice of heaven to me!
    Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 12th July 2008 at 06:10.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on new system - very nice. Looking fwd to hearing your impressions when you get back.

On bikes - wife and I both ride. Currently on KTM street and dirts, but have owned in past BMW 1150GS (his/hers), 1150R (hers), 1100S (his) and a long list of Ducs - 900FE (NEVER should have sold it), 900SS new design (NEVER should have bought it), 888SPO (sweet ride), 750M, 900M wife had modified into an uber-cafe racer, 748 biposto, 916 monopost. Miss the Ducs - nothing quite sounds (or handles) quite like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i'm going to forego shooting today to take a ride up the Hudson on my Roadking. The Roadking is a capable cruiser, albeit a dinosuar; had a long line of bikes before; used to blast around Oregon on Nortons (had three), then ducati's in NY (had two, last was an 851)

you will love that camera, you might consider the prism finder as well, the one i have (90) has a meter, a pretty good one.

jm
    Enjoy the ride JLM! I've heard there are some terrific roads on the east coast...I've just never been there to explore them (yet). I rode a friend's Road King a few times and enjoyed it....a very different riding experience from anything I've ever owned.

I picked up a PME45 finder recently....it should work pretty well on the 503CWD. I mostly use a hand held meter and my style is more of the slow and methodical approach...which is why manual focus still suits me fine (although my old eyes are beginning to think otherwise).

Your photos from the shipyard with the CFV really inspired me to take the plunge!

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 29th March 2009 at 09:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am lucky - weekend blasts are easy where my farm is.. miles of twisties and constant radius bends and fast blat short straights..along a coast road..I cant ride for longer than an hour or so before getting cramped up..but yeah the Duc rides on rails - check out the scuff/wear on the tyre walls Phillip Island is an hour away..

Enjoy your camera and your riding - safely please! Thats a great rig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    1100S (his)
    The BMW 1100S, like my VFR, a really competent "gentleman's sport bike"
    I came REAL close to buying one of these, after riding my friend's 1100S Boxer Cup Replica a few years ago.

900FE (NEVER should have sold it)
    Agreed!!

Gary

Sorry for the lengthy diversion on motorcycles....they can be addictive (just like MF digital photo equipment!)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Gary, don't apologize for the OT, we do that a lot around here and I find the bike discussion very interesting. The armchair psychologist in me believes that there's a definite correlation between our addictions. I'm a biker myself with a Harley Road King and a couple of Choppers. Like Marc, the closest I'll come to a Ducati is the CF card as I'm afraid I'd kill myself on one. Something about two wheels and 160+ mph doesn't sit quite right with me. I remember when I first met Guy, he and I were wearing the same watch (Panerai). Keep the shiny side up

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

check out the maryknoll museum on the colombia gorge road, they have a great rodin exhibit and it's a nice place to get off the road for a bit. there is also a huge, very unusual poplar tree "farm" out past pendleton somewhere that i always wanted to photograph.
    speaking of motorcycles...i gave up the Nortons to race in the dirt, a Maico and several Husqvarna's later, laid off for a few years. then in NY an old "toaster" 650 BMW sucked me back in, then a R900s, 750k and on to the dukes. sanity came back and it settled me on the HD, a lumbering 600lb hulk where 70mph is plenty fast enough. my son has sold his duke for a 650 KTM mono and a spanish gas-gas trials bike; how's that for full circle?

i did sneak out and take a few pics today though

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite uses for the GS is to explore the old mining roads and jeep trails that cross cut the landscape around the entire high sierra. I particularly like Mono Lake and the Owens Valley parts. You can work your way on old trails all the way from Mono Lake to Bodie and on. Throw in some basic camping stuff and a solid tripod and you can easily spend a week out there shooting the most amazing landscape. Some of it natural, some of it man made. Most of the jeep trails are easy and non-technical since the landscape is so dry and hard packed.

I used to commute to the south bay daily on the GS, it's a great road trip and urban assault vehicle. On the way home I'd take the long way up the coast with a photo bag in the top case (or a smaller camera in a tank bag) and tripod bag strapped to the back (passenger seat replaced with Wunderlich cargo plate). For day riding something sportier is more fun though; I've been seriously thinking there might be a spot in the garage for a Tuono R one of these days...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now you guys have me thinking harder... I used to be a big-time off road rider, primarily dirt/enduro. Earlier this year I was contemplating a KTM Adventure for the same reasons Jan mentions above...

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, i had no idea. i've never had so much fun as riding in the dirt, weather be damned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey John, me neither! I used to ride a lot a few years back, Honda CR 500's and 250's, then KTM 360. Loved it, but now thinking a nice streetable 4-stroke
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, Gary! You've purchased a fantastic setup!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I dove into the deep end of the pool today......I called Steve Hendrix and placed an order for the 503CWD-II kit with the 40mm lens. Yeow! I've never spent that much on a camera before....never thought I would, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get the kit with that 40mm lens. I think the whole setup will work nicely with the PME45 finder I bought a few months ago.

I'm going to be on vacation for 10 days in the last half of July (motorcycle trip thru Washington and Oregon.....looking forward to some hot and sunny weather for a change), so I asked Steve to hold off shipping the camera to me until the end of July. I hope to post a few shots from the CFV-II in August.

My thanks to the many folks here who have shared their images, experience and knowledge about MF DBs (and the CFV in particular). I also appreciated Steve's help and assistance (a real nice change from the usual mail order buying experiences I've had over the past 30 years). I've learned quite alot in just the past several weeks on this forum....thanks again!

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Congratulations Gary ... welcome to the CFV club. It's a terrific kit, and despite haveing 31 and 39 meg kits, I still reach for the V camera and CFV for many assignments ... especially portrait work.

I just did a "sitting" yesterday and the files are amazing ... plus 16 meg files are a bit more managible for stuff like this ... I had 7 wardrobe changes in 3 hours and dumped a load of shots into Phocus for processing. What was amazing was almost all the shots could go straight to the keeper file, and minimal work was needed for the prints.

Here's one done with the 503CW-CFV-II and a Zeiss 100/3.5 ... colorlicious!
    Last edited by fotografz; 30th July 2008 at 05:15.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

amazing colors. i have recently taken up Indian cooking, where the colors, aromas and flavors all have equal appeal. I'm going to run home and whip up an aloo motar gobi right now

very nice, marc, as usual!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shot - the CFVII is hellishly appealing. BTW - what aperture did you shoot the 100 at. Courtesy of a lengthy relationship many years ago with a young lady bearing a striking resemblance to your portrait model (but crazier than a bag of hammers...), I developed a permanent addiction to Indian food -- and HOT food in general.

Bikes - The 1100S is a VERY nice bike. I had the yellow/black hornet color scheme but always drooled over the Boxer Cup replica. Also ran a KTM 950 Adventure for a time but sold it when we moved to a local that didn't have a KTM dealer trained/authorized to work on the 950 twins. Wife and I now ride modified KTM 640 Adventures (fixable with a butter knife) and KTM 300 XC-W two-stroke dirts.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    amazing colors. i have recently taken up Indian cooking, where the colors, aromas and flavors all have equal appeal. I'm going to run home and whip up an aloo motar gobi right now
    There's a masala dabba in my kitchen too!

And Jack brought up the fact that we both wore Breitling watches last weekend.

This is getting a little spooky!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Nice shot - the CFVII is hellishly appealing. BTW - what aperture did you shoot the 100 at. Courtesy of a lengthy relationship many years ago with a young lady bearing a striking resemblance to your portrait model (but crazier than a bag of hammers...), I developed a permanent addiction to Indian food -- and HOT food in general.

Bikes - The 1100S is a VERY nice bike. I had the yellow/black hornet color scheme but always drooled over the Boxer Cup replica. Also ran a KTM 950 Adventure for a time but sold it when we moved to a local that didn't have a KTM dealer trained/authorized to work on the 950 twins. Wife and I now ride modified KTM 640 Adventures (fixable with a butter knife) and KTM 300 XC-W two-stroke dirts.
    F/8 if I recall Rob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A lovely 'capture' Marc - almost talked myself into getting this outfit. The 500 with a 40 at 12K is excellent value - and FATBOY pixels.hmm maybe give Jim an email...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A lovely 'capture' Marc - almost talked myself into getting this outfit. The 500 with a 40 at 12K is excellent value - and FATBOY pixels.hmm maybe give Jim an email...
    Thanks Peter, I made a 17X22 print of this for the client and it knocked their eyes out ... it looks much more spectacular printed than on the computer screen.

Yeah, coupled with the 40IF it's quite a deal ... especially since you can use the 40mm on the H camera for use of it's wider abilities which are much better than my old 40CFE..

The CFV tends to be my go to camera for portrait work where I almost never need a super wide field-of-view ... the Zeiss 100/3.5 (150mm field-of-view on the CFV) pretty much stays glued to the 503CW.

However, the 40IF is excellent for "environmental" type portrait work on the CFV providing a 60mm field-of-view ... roughly that of a 35mm lens on a FF DSLR ... which is about as wide as I like to get for those type shots.

I'm doing a corporate portrait session on location today, and the main camera will be the 503CW/CFV with a 50/4CFE backed up by my Canon 1DsMKIII and Zeiss N24-85 Conrus converted zoom ... (and a Hassey to Canon adapter to use the Zeiss 50 just in case).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Enjoy the day Marc and as usual thanks for your user comments.

Yeah I think i will 'spring' for one of these outfits - I can also shoot MF film with the camera - ever since I sold the H1/Leaf I havent been able to do so.

Have been having a blast shooting with the Xpan lately. It is really difficult to get the same look from digi as I can get easily from film ...and those Xpan lenses just 'pop' 3 dimensionality.

I would like to see the forum have a no words section - I dont know why pics are posted under camera categories..I am sure I could talk some of our shooter mates from the past to post - remember the old days on PN? Man that was inspirational stuff for me - especially the Street.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WE do have a gallery Peter which not many sites have.

But you can start a thread if you like
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

The Critique section was re-purposed for the type of threads that Peter refers to (I thought). Some have begun to use it for camera brand agnostic threads. I think that there was one recently titled "No Words" as you, Peter, suggest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's everyones home so do start threads that you would love to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chill Guy - you know we love this place! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Here's one done with the 503CW-CFV-II and a Zeiss 100/3.5 ... colorlicious!
    I just ordered a Hasselblad Zeiss CFi 100/3.5 lens today from KEH (EX+) and my 503CWD-II is supposed to arrive here tomorrow....then the fun begins!

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

P.S. After 10 days of sun and 70-85 degree weather in WA/OR and 1500 miles of motorcycling on great rural roads....it was sure hard to come back. Pic of my wife Kathleen with our bikes at Crater Lake.
    Last edited by bensonga; 29th July 2008 at 18:40.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice bikes... but this is more to my liking...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is that one of yours David?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Nice bikes... but this is more to my liking...
    Quite a ride David! Not my riding style, but I can still appreciate the work that went into building a chopper like that....what is it, anyways?

On the trip we just finished, with mile after mile of winding mountain and country roads, the bikes we used suits me better. I generally like a lighter and sportier bike....but on which I can still carry my luggage and gear for an extended road trip. I guess that's why I lean towards the sport touring or adventure touring type of motorcycles for most of my riding.

As the saying goes...different strokes for different folks.

Gary

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, that bike belongs to a friend of mine. Beautiful for sure, but tough to ride... it's a half-mile long and very, very low. That rear tire doesn't make it any easier either. Here's a couple of mine... much tamer but still a lot of fun.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary,
    My buddy's bike is custom. My blue one is a Big Dog K9, the maroon and gray is an American Ironhorse Slammer. Also have a Harley Road King with a windshield and saddlebags which is like driving a Caddy compared to these. The choppers are what we call "bar hoppers", mostly for riding around town and when you want to make a bit of an impression For highway driving (which I try to avoid with these Florida drivers) it's the Harley every time. I envy you those road trips, they bring back fond memories. BTW, notice the passenger pad for my wife on the back of the Big Dog... in the old days they rode the fender

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heh, I may end up getting one of these to go cross country with my wife.

On second thought, maybe I'll get this one

Last edited by etrigan63; 29th July 2008 at 22:26.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone out there must want one of these I'm sure... MV Agusta F4CC. Only 100 made, 4 cylinders, 200 HP, top speed limited at 195. Pick one up at your local Harley dealers for a mere $120k... seems Harley is convinced as they announced they're buying the company for $109 million. Not sure the math makes sense to me but hey, it makes my Sinar back look cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Someone out there must want one of these I'm sure... MV Agusta F4CC. Only 100 made, 4 cylinders, 200 HP, top speed limited at 195. Pick one up at your local Harley dealers for a mere $120k... seems Harley is convinced as they announced they're buying the company for $109 million. Not sure the math makes sense to me but hey, it makes my Sinar back look cheap.

I know my friend with an original F4S (750cc model) would love to have one of these....but like most of us, it's way outside his price range. If I was in the market for a somewhat exclusive sportbike (for a mere $25k) I'd rather have one of these. It's certainly not as beautiful as the MV.....nobody can compete with the Italians in the styling department.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 29th March 2009 at 09:46.