Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IQ180 Shipping Features List

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IQ180 Shipping Features List

Victor try convincing my wife of that one and you are a better con artist than me. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Victor try convincing my wife of that one and you are a better con artist than me. ROTFLMAO
    WIFE? We're supposed to tell our WIFE about these things????

Boy, am I in trouble

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you tell her it will cost about 2x.
    If she finds out later 3x to 4x.
    Wife always wins, just like Vegas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well said Ebe. Obviously you been around the block on this one . LoL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the pleasure of shooting with a couple of (really nice!) Phase One folks last week and got to play with the IQ180. Man, I am SO glad I ordered one!

The two most impressive features for my style of shooting are the focus mask which really lets you zero in on exact sharpness, and the touch screen which allows you to view ANY part of the shot at 100% with a single tap. So quick and easy.

Then there is the DR, which subjectively seemed about half a stop more than my P65+.

Can't wait for mine....

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice to here Bill get to play this week a little I hope with CI demo. Looking forward to final production unit

Post Thanks / Like

So it appears an ND filter will be required in daylight to use the live view once it finally works? Ouch...No wonder Phase was not touting this...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    So it appears an ND filter will be required in daylight to use the live view once it finally works? Ouch...No wonder Phase was not touting this...
    Sorry,
    Did I miss something along the way? I didn't hear this. Is it with DF body and lenses only? Tech camera lenses should do the trick as they are stopped down already.

Post Thanks / Like

From today's update on LuLa: "We were told by Claus that one thing we could expect was that in bright daylight one will have to attach a variable ND filter when setting up with Live View, as CCD sensors overload on too bright light when run continuously. This won't be an issue in the studio or at lower light levels. The exact point at which they become a necessity remains to be seen."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Tech camera lenses should do the trick as they are stopped down already.
    You can't accuratly focus with a stopped down lens!

I was told this info about ND filters with live view by a Phase tech guy at a trade show in March and was surprised at his total lack of enthusiasm for the feature and probably why its never been shown in action.

And as a side note to further damped tech camera/live view hopefulls, I was talking to Bill Maxwell recently regarding GG focusing screens and his comment about focusing LF lenses is there is no reliable way to focus them other than tethered/IQ screen 100% view test shots or with some laser distance/lens calibration. LF lenses are just too slow to visually focus properly to the fine accuracy MFD requires. This would also apply to the much touted Phase tech camera live view wonder feature and you'd still having to check focus at 100% to get everthing spot on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's heeeeeeeeeeeeeere!!!

I totally missed the Fibonacci Spiral composition mode in the gridlines menu... And yes, it is WAYYYYY cool!!!

5 sidepanel menus, scrollable with one-touch to fill LCD: focus mask, exposure/highlight warning, histo, artificial horizon with pitch and roll and Exif panel -- and you can customize each one to your needs and of course adjust the oder they appear in.

LCD is very bright.

More in my official review in the next day or so.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got off the phone with Jack and it smokes the prototype in every category when we tested it. Faster , brighter and features we did not even know about. I get to play tomorrow night with one, Can't wait.

A big congrats bud and you know i am seriously jealous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't want to say it but LV with ND sounds like crap and I have to say it: told you so!

Not even phase can make more out off crappy ccds when it comes to live view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If live-view is a "must-have-all-the-time" tool for you then I'd agree that a CCD cam is not a good choice -- for you. Me personally, I care little about it for MF, especially with the outstanding 100% review and possibly even more useful in the field, extremely accurate (and fully adjustable) focus mask on the IQ back. More on that later
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    More on that later
    Yes please! I'm really curious about focusing and sensor casts with IQ180 + tech camera + short lens. Hmmm, IQ160 or 180? Decisions, decisions ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking forward to your review Jack.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Gareth tempered my enthusiasm for live-view months ago. I am still hoping the 100% review and focus mask are an improvement over what can can be done on GG in regards to focus accuracy.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    I am still hoping the 100% review and focus mask are an improvement over what can can be done on GG in regards to focus accuracy.

Dave
    I assure you that they are, and at least for me by a large margin!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Looking forward to your review Jack.
    Will do my best Pete!

But first I need to grab a good selection of images. To whet your appetites, I played around this afternoon mainly hand-held exploring higher ISO's and Sensor+ --- all the news is good if not great! 20MP S+ ISO 1600 is *very* clean --- so clean I will not hesitate to use this as a walking around camera. Color is excellent so far. Stay tuned.
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Jack.

As to the ND filters, I wasn't planning to focus in live view. I only really thought about it for framing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I assure you that they are, and at least for me by a large margin!
    I second that. The focus mask is very sensitive and I was able to "zero in" on exact focus by checking with two or three shots until I got where I wanted to be sharp. It effectively removes the combined errors that auto (or manual) focus introduces with mirror placement, GG placement or back alignment.

In other words, manufacturing tolerances are voided.

Bill

ps I was impatient before I got mine, but after the session with Claus Molgaard, I'm drooling with anticipation!

Post Thanks / Like

Terry - I was hoping to use live view for polarizer rotation placement. I'm hoping that with a tech camera lens stopped down as you say this would work without having to use a vari-ND - that would be really counter-productive to have to use that, although most of my light is pretty dim anyway (kind of like the photographer).

I have been wonderfully surprised that with my little Alpa and a cube-style head I don't really need any sort of framing guide and get the framing I want with only minor tweaks right off the bat by just looking over the top of the camera - the composition mode on the new back might be a plus if it is quick to turn on and off.

I find the focus mask in C1 worthless and am not counting on being able to use it on the back, but that would be a nice plus if it actually worked. Although I normally shoot at f16 and opening up and then stopping back down again would slow things down - I've been zone focussing all my life and it is quite smooth, fast, and acceptable now with the Alpa anyway.

If there was only a way to input the lens length data for tech camera use like you can with a Leaf Back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A word on focus mask: You need to set it up properly for YOUR NEEDS to give you the readout you want. IOW, its range/tolerance is adjustable as is the mask's color, and the adjustments matter (a lot) in how one interprets a "focus zone" from it.

For example on the back -- and I'm still really new to it so these will likely change for me with more use: a setting of 20 renders a very generous range and definition of focus; OTOH, 50 renders a very thin range of focus. For me, somewhere in the 32 to 36 range seems to give a really good idea of what will look in acceptably sharp focus in a print.

More on using it in my review...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    The 'super high quality ISO35' sounds more like they found that the sensor's true base ISO was 35, not 50, so decided to make that a 'feature', rather than get called out by some analysis on DXO or wherever.
    Hah - told you so! - a quote from MR's review on LuLa:

"According the Claus Molgarrd these new Dalsa sensors were found to have a lower native ISO than spec. Some of them could even be rated at ISO 25, but that would be pushing the envelope on ensuring that all delivered sensors met this rigid criteria. So Phase played it safe and now rates them at ISO 35 which rating all production backs meet"