The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 Shipping Features List

gogopix

Subscriber
I really don't see the point. Everyone who knows a little about CCDs, should realize that even Phase One won't deliver anything special when it comes to in back live view. I would NEVER upgrade just because i MIGHT think I COULD use live view. I would upgrade for many other reasons, but certainly not this one. I'm sure it will work, but will be pretty bad and will only work in some special conditions. I think everyone who is thinking otherwise is hoping to much from CCDs, perhaps in 2-3 years when we see the first CMOS phase back we will really get livew view.
well, Phase may have pulled rabbit out of a hat. They are using a 'quick process' as I understand it that can create 3 images a second. not 'live view' in the sense of sensor to screen, but generating processed images very fast. Sort of a micro C1 I suppose. Anyway that's what's been said by Phase project manager. If it shows focus mask (as Lance says, just a bit more 'processing') then at least for most applications of a tech camera, that would allow quasi-realtime focus adjustment (manual). 3 a sec seems pretty good, esp if you could do at 100%.

remember, only need to process for the screen size (about 600x900 say) so not at 80MP. Pretty cleaver, as they say :D

CCD would only need to read out about 2x the current speed to do this, and I imaging heat would be the big bugaboo (I dont see this as great for ISO 3200)

Anyway, I do hope it works, even if it is in the next FW.

As fore CMOS, that may come up in quality and then we will need to figure how to do 30fps 40MP videos and we can have gnats eye detail in all our films :eek:

regards
Victor

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim - I only have a tech camera and for me live view is nice to have and one of the features I want but it isn't the most critical. Framing for me has been done by taking a shot and adjusting not by using the viewfinder. I can still do that.....albeit faster and better with live view.
More critical for me will be focus mask (an not necessarily in live view but playback) and much better zooming on the screen with better resolution to judge focus.
So, while it would have been nice to have the live view up front I've decided I will live with the trust factor.
Hi Terry,
I don't ever use live view on my DSLRs, nor would I (I think) use it for framing on an IQ back. For me the exciting thing about the early news on the IQ backs was the idea (which I got from LuLa, because Michael is pretty close with Phase as we know) that Live View and Focus Mask combined would allow great iterative focus adjustments with movements on a tech cam.

I want one of course, have it on order and expect a call any day now, but I don't 'need' the extra resolution and however much I crave the new screen, again I don't really need it. For me (and quite possibly for me alone!) the only truly exciting thing, given that there's no new sensor tech, was the LV/FM combo.

I'll probably take it anyway, especially if the shot-to-review time is a lot faster than on the demo model I used (and yes it was a fast CF card...) but I suspect it'll because because its sexy, not because it really helps me do things better. Check that: quicker and easier ARE better of course, so maybe I mean that it might well not help me do the really difficult stuff much better.

How are you enjoying your X100?

Terry

How are you enjoying your X100?
Without going massively OT, I love the viewfinder and finally having a small camera that I can raise to eve level and really enjoy it. Many of the software issues don't overly impact the way I shoot but at the same time I really do think that Fuji needs a big firmware update. Great in low light and I really like the way the flash is optimized for fill - which will entice me to use it more as I don't need to think as much on how much to dial back flash exposure comp like the other very harsh flashes on cameras.

So, in short a keeper for me.

vjbelle

Its just to easy to take a shot and adjust.
I'm assuming that the LCD will be easily as good as a 5DII. If so then looking at an image on the LCD with a MF loupe and 50% magnification should easily show where the focus point is. I tried it with my 5DII and a 50mm Zeiss and was able to nail the focus point after three quick images. This may be the most I can expect from Phase but as far as I'm concerned this is a giant move forward.

Victor

lance_schad

Workshop Member
People are always asking what's the difference between Value Add and Classic configurations from Phase One, so I have taken a picture of what came with our IQ180 demo unit and am providing a descriptions of contents the contents that come with each config. The only difference I have seen so far in the kits between the P+ and IQ is the addition of a USB 3.0 cable.

Classic Configuration:
IQ or P+ Digital Back w/ 1 year classic warranty
Accessories:

- Small Weatherproof case
- Digital back Battery
- Dual DB battery charger
- 4.5m Firewire Cable
- CCD Cleaning Kit
- Capture One DB

Value Added Configuration:
IQ Digital Back w/ 5 Year Valued Added Warranty (loaner unit during repair)
P+ Digital Back w/3 Year Value Added Warranty (loaner unit during repair)
Accessories:
- Waterproof stroller hard case with room for 17” laptop
- 2 lens wraps
- 2 digital back batteries
- 4.5m Firewire Cable (800 to 800 w/ IQ)
- Dual DB battery charger
- DB Multi connector cable
- LCC calibration plate
- CF card (4gb or 8gb)
- CF card reader
- QP reference cards
- Digiclean CCD cleaning kit
- USB 3 cable
- Capture One Pro license

L

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I just got some clarification that the 2 minute exposures and ISO 35 are exclusive to the IQ180 and not available on the IQ140/IQ160. So the specs are accurate on the Phase One website.

Lance

gogopix

Subscriber
Having shot with a technical camera for two years I would hardly call focus mask a critical function. Once i worked out the kinks in my workflow I blow less shots due to focus on the tech camera than trying to focus with the 645. it could be that the workflow better matches the kind of images I shoot.

That's not to say I'm not anxious to start using focus mask. I think it will be a great feature when available but it's not something that will delay using the IQ180 with the tech.
I think you are right; the focus Mask will help, but as Guy says, with 100% live view on a tech camera...well I don';t think more than 3 fps will matter. I have been using a sliding back with my P65+ and with some practice, you can do quite well

regards
Victor

Ebe

If you tell her it will cost about 2x.
If she finds out later 3x to 4x.
Wife always wins, just like Vegas

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I had the pleasure of shooting with a couple of (really nice!) Phase One folks last week and got to play with the IQ180. Man, I am SO glad I ordered one!

The two most impressive features for my style of shooting are the focus mask which really lets you zero in on exact sharpness, and the touch screen which allows you to view ANY part of the shot at 100% with a single tap. So quick and easy.

Then there is the DR, which subjectively seemed about half a stop more than my P65+.

Can't wait for mine....

Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice to here Bill get to play this week a little I hope with CI demo. Looking forward to final production unit

Tim Ernst

So it appears an ND filter will be required in daylight to use the live view once it finally works? Ouch...No wonder Phase was not touting this...

Terry

So it appears an ND filter will be required in daylight to use the live view once it finally works? Ouch...No wonder Phase was not touting this...
Sorry,
Did I miss something along the way? I didn't hear this. Is it with DF body and lenses only? Tech camera lenses should do the trick as they are stopped down already.

Arjuna

From today's update on LuLa: "We were told by Claus that one thing we could expect was that in bright daylight one will have to attach a variable ND filter when setting up with Live View, as CCD sensors overload on too bright light when run continuously. This won't be an issue in the studio or at lower light levels. The exact point at which they become a necessity remains to be seen."

gazwas

Tech camera lenses should do the trick as they are stopped down already.
You can't accuratly focus with a stopped down lens!

I was told this info about ND filters with live view by a Phase tech guy at a trade show in March and was surprised at his total lack of enthusiasm for the feature and probably why its never been shown in action.

And as a side note to further damped tech camera/live view hopefulls, I was talking to Bill Maxwell recently regarding GG focusing screens and his comment about focusing LF lenses is there is no reliable way to focus them other than tethered/IQ screen 100% view test shots or with some laser distance/lens calibration. LF lenses are just too slow to visually focus properly to the fine accuracy MFD requires. This would also apply to the much touted Phase tech camera live view wonder feature and you'd still having to check focus at 100% to get everthing spot on.