The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Context on Today's IQ and C1 6.2 News

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We have put together a list, categorized, and expanded upon the new features that have evolved since the IQ180 prototype units were making the rounds earlier this year. These features will be included in the initial IQ180 units, which should arrive next week to US dealers.

The goal here is to add further detail and add context to the features for your benefit. There is also a list of features that are expected to be implemented in a future firmware updates (June & August).

This list is comparing the final-hardware Phase One IQ series to the prototype and to the P40+ and P65+ which share sensors with IQ140/IQ160. The context and additional information comes from conversations with Lionel, the Head of Image Core (C1's math team), and Ulf, the Head of the Service Department. They are both very excited to see the back shipping to dealers this week and user's in May.

Phase One IQ - Feature Updates

We've also updated the Phase One IQ Tech Specs with today's news.

A lot of this relates back to Capture One 6.2 which was released today. Here is a Capture One 6.2 Feature List along with some context on the changes/improvements.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
In particular I found discussions of the extension of the max Long Exposure very interesting.

Phase One has historically been able to achieve the best long exposures of any sensor they've used. The P45+ and H3D-39 for instance have the same sensors but the P45+ is able to expose for more than 50 times as long. The P40+ can expose twice as long as the the Aptus-II 8 with the same sensor. The P65+ and the H4D-60 have the same sensor but the P65+ is spec'd for a minute while the H4D-60 is spec'd at 30 seconds.

Phase took many of the lessons they learned in designing the P65+ and redesigned the entire image-chain. There are no components from the P+ in the IQ other than the sensor of the IQ140/IQ160 which is the same as the P65+/P40+. This has allowed them to squeeze more performance out of the sensor.

It's realistic to assume that performance at day 1 will be slightly less than the 2 minutes they are spec'ing in the marketing. This comment is not based on real-world testing of the IQ (our unit will not arrive until next week) but rather on historical precedent. The 65+ was announced/launched with a 60 sec spec but our testing showed acceptable quality dropped off quickly at 40-50 seconds. It took 2-3 months before firmware/software improvements extended out the real-world capabilities to 60 seconds. Based on this I wouldn't be surprised if our tests show 100-110 seconds being the limit with 120 seconds being achieved in a few months.

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

goesbang

Based on this I wouldn't be surprised if our tests show 100-110 seconds being the limit with 120 seconds being achieved in a few months.

As an architectural photographer shooting with the "limitation" of 60sec max exposureon my P65+, I am delighted to have the extra exposure time available.
In practice, it is VERY unusual for a shot of mine to require more than a full minute of exposure. On the few occasions where I have wanted more, it's really been to get to 80-90 secs. As such, the new spec is incredibly welcome news.
I can't wait to hang my IQ180 off my Alpa.