The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase Wireless 1/1600 Flash Synch on the Cheap

kdphotography

This is about having champagne tastes and a beer budget: What to do when you want to take advantage of the Phase One 645DF and P40+/P65+ (and coming IQ series) MFDB's ability to wirelessly flash sync at speeds up to 1/1600, Marc keeps taunting you with Hensel's new Porty L1200 with Profoto Air and Hensel Pro Mini P Speed Heads---and all your 2011 cash is already nearly gone upgrading to that IQ series MFDB from Capture Integration? (Not to mention Don taunting me with a a Cambo WRS1050...)

You get cheap. Real cheap. It ain't pretty, but it works. :p

I picked up two of Paul Buff's new Einstein monolights (touted for short flash duration), a CST transmitter, and the new CSXCV receiver which is a small receiver unit that plugs into the top of the monolight. Previously Jack Flesher and I tried to use Buff's CST and CSR in an attempt to cheaply get to the 1/1600 wireless threshhold, but failed. The original CST and CSR combination was not much faster than the classic Pocket Wizards, despite the CST/CSR's claimed 1/2500th max flash sync. The CST in combination with the new CSXCV, however, is a game-changer. It works!

Quality-wise, there remains a bit to be desired, although the Einsteins are a step up from the alien bee units. The 8 inch reflector is a step up in quality from the previous 7 inch reflector. Fit and finish on the wireless CST leaves much to be desired, far from the usual smoothness of Pocket Wizards. It didn't matter which way I installed the CST into the camera hotshoe, it's just plain tight. I expect it will loosen up a bit with use.

In short: The CST/CSXCV combination it works. No signs of light loss or shutter creeping into the image. I tried both the default and forced LS CF selections on the DF. Both worked seamlessly up to 1/1600th wireless with Schneider 110mm LS. Apologies for the crappy images, but just a quick down and dirty test in studio. 1st image from my trusty G9 of the setup. 2d image from my 645DF, Phase P65+, Schneider 110mm LS. Single Einstein with CST and CSXCV. F/16 @1/1600

The Hensel L1200 Lithium remains on the buy list, but the Einstein's with CST and CSXCV provide an acceptable cheap workaround for now for wireless flash sync up to 1/1600th. Add the mini-vagabond lithium battery and the kit remains pretty portable.

ken :)

Last edited:

kdphotography

Okay Ken where the hell are my dolls. Dave's in a world of hurt I don't have nice bunny dolls.
I think only a select few from fb know the sick humor behind these dolls. Dave has this set up in Atlanta... I bet he'd give you a set if you get the IQ160! :D

Last edited:

Valentin