Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase Wireless 1/1600 Flash Synch on the Cheap

Post Thanks / Like

Phase Wireless 1/1600 Flash Synch on the Cheap

This is about having champagne tastes and a beer budget: What to do when you want to take advantage of the Phase One 645DF and P40+/P65+ (and coming IQ series) MFDB's ability to wirelessly flash sync at speeds up to 1/1600, Marc keeps taunting you with Hensel's new Porty L1200 with Profoto Air and Hensel Pro Mini P Speed Heads---and all your 2011 cash is already nearly gone upgrading to that IQ series MFDB from Capture Integration? (Not to mention Don taunting me with a a Cambo WRS1050...)

You get cheap. Real cheap. It ain't pretty, but it works.

I picked up two of Paul Buff's new Einstein monolights (touted for short flash duration), a CST transmitter, and the new CSXCV receiver which is a small receiver unit that plugs into the top of the monolight. Previously Jack Flesher and I tried to use Buff's CST and CSR in an attempt to cheaply get to the 1/1600 wireless threshhold, but failed. The original CST and CSR combination was not much faster than the classic Pocket Wizards, despite the CST/CSR's claimed 1/2500th max flash sync. The CST in combination with the new CSXCV, however, is a game-changer. It works!

Quality-wise, there remains a bit to be desired, although the Einsteins are a step up from the alien bee units. The 8 inch reflector is a step up in quality from the previous 7 inch reflector. Fit and finish on the wireless CST leaves much to be desired, far from the usual smoothness of Pocket Wizards. It didn't matter which way I installed the CST into the camera hotshoe, it's just plain tight. I expect it will loosen up a bit with use.

In short: The CST/CSXCV combination it works. No signs of light loss or shutter creeping into the image. I tried both the default and forced LS CF selections on the DF. Both worked seamlessly up to 1/1600th wireless with Schneider 110mm LS. Apologies for the crappy images, but just a quick down and dirty test in studio. 1st image from my trusty G9 of the setup. 2d image from my 645DF, Phase P65+, Schneider 110mm LS. Single Einstein with CST and CSXCV. F/16 @1/1600

The Hensel L1200 Lithium remains on the buy list, but the Einstein's with CST and CSXCV provide an acceptable cheap workaround for now for wireless flash sync up to 1/1600th. Add the mini-vagabond lithium battery and the kit remains pretty portable.

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 3rd June 2011 at 15:03.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase Wireless 1/1600 Flash Synch on the Cheap

Okay Ken where the hell are my dolls. Dave's in a world of hurt I don't have nice bunny dolls.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay Ken where the hell are my dolls. Dave's in a world of hurt I don't have nice bunny dolls.
    I think only a select few from fb know the sick humor behind these dolls. Dave has this set up in Atlanta... I bet he'd give you a set if you get the IQ160!
    Last edited by kdphotography; 3rd June 2011 at 15:03.

Post Thanks / Like

Which hand strap is that?

Thanks,
    Valentin

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Doug's already met these two. Up close!

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Valentin View Post

Which hand strap is that?

Thanks,
    Valentin
    Ok, you caught me being cheap again, Valentin. L bracket is from RRS, which is basically the same as the Phase L bracket, sans the Phase name engraved on the bracket. The handstrap is from Camdapter, also through RRS: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...-Black-Leather

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Ok, you caught me being cheap again, Valentin. L bracket is from RRS, which is basically the same as the Phase L bracket, sans the Phase name engraved on the bracket. The handstrap is from Camdapter, also through RRS: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...-Black-Leather
    Thanks (it should be a Thanks Button available ). I am looking for just a strap (not attached to a bracket) that will fit the 645 AF type camera.