The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The perfect portrait lens?

T

tomz

Hi guys

So I'm having a lot of problem with choosing a new portrait lens. I already have the LS80mm f/2.8 but feel it's not tight enough.

I've been looking at two lenses, the 120mm macro and the 150mm, actually four lenses because of the AF vs. MF in the 120mm and the leaf vs. no leaf in the 150mm :)

So guys, what would you do, which one of these would you choose...or, even some other?
My background is studio work, I shoot almost everything in my studio but sometimes on location. I use the Leaf shutter a alot but also large f-stops. I shoot with the Phase One 645DF and P30+ back.

Thanks in advance :)

Regards from Iceland
Tom

Last edited:

topgreat

I am using the same setup as yours. You won't be disappointed with 150mm D. If you don't mind about leaf shutter, it is very sharp. You can't use the 110mm LS on Phase One 645AF anyway.

T

tomz

I am using the same setup as yours. You won't be disappointed with 150mm D. If you don't mind about leaf shutter, it is very sharp. You can't use the 110mm LS on Phase One 645AF anyway.
Sorry I was clearly not awake :) I have the DF version, 645DF.

dick

On Hasselblad, the 50-110 zoom is useful, but a bit wide for some shots at 110 on a 53mm sensor.

120 macro was a good lens for 56mm^2

Perhaps we should have platform specific sub-forums?

coulombic

Off-hand, a couple of lenses come to mind -- the 75-150mm f/4.5 is a very high-performance, flexible lens that would likely suit your needs. Otherwise, have you considered the 200mm f/2.8 APO? If you're not averse to manually focusing, and stop-down metering, it might be the perfect lens for you.

kdphotography

110mm Schneider LS is fantastic.

150mm D is fantastic. (Schneider to release a LS version soon)

75-150 is a great lens for flexibility.

Considering the 1.3 crop of the P30+ and the length of your studio area, the 110 or 75-150 might be better choices....

T

tomz

Off-hand, a couple of lenses come to mind -- the 75-150mm f/4.5 is a very high-performance, flexible lens that would likely suit your needs. Otherwise, have you considered the 200mm f/2.8 APO? If you're not averse to manually focusing, and stop-down metering, it might be the perfect lens for you.
No I think the 200mm would be to tight for me.

T

tomz

No I think the 200mm would be to tight for me.

T

tomz

110mm Schneider LS is fantastic.

150mm D is fantastic. (Schneider to release a LS version soon)

75-150 is a great lens for flexibility.

Considering the 1.3 crop of the P30+ and the length of your studio area, the 110 or 75-150 might be better choices....
Yeah I.ve heard of the LS lens, will be sick I think, that's why I'm considering it. Once you go leaf you can't stop :)

I will consider the 110mm also, thanks for the help guys!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 110 LS is a extremely nice lens. I just got it a few months back and believe it or not I like it better than the 150D which I loved but the 110 just has a nice look to it. My next lens is the 240 LS and that maybe my portrait lens. I like using long glass on portraits but maybe a little long for some folks. I'm pretty much buying all the Schneider glass available. Right now the I have the 55, 80, 110 and than the 240 when it comes out.

T

tomz

The 110 LS is a extremely nice lens. I just got it a few months back and believe it or not I like it better than the 150D which I loved but the 110 just has a nice look to it. My next lens is the 240 LS and that maybe my portrait lens. I like using long glass on portraits but maybe a little long for some folks. I'm pretty much buying all the Schneider glass available. Right now the I have the 55, 80, 110 and than the 240 when it comes out.

Schneider rocks, nothing wrong with wanting that ;)

I'll give the 110mm a try, could be a good choice. Thanks Guy!

Guy Mancuso

Here just a quick shot of my nephew last night with a 110mm on my P40+ about 9 ft away . Full Image airbrushed a good chunk but extremely sharp.

kdphotography

.... My next lens is the 240 LS and that maybe my portrait lens. I like using long glass on portraits but maybe a little long for some folks. I'm pretty much buying all the Schneider glass available. Right now the I have the 55, 80, 110 and than the 240 when it comes out.
240 LS peeks my interest as well. It'll go great with your new IQ160, Guy.

:D

Guy Mancuso

Just not sure i can get the 160 money my friend. Its a stretch but the 140 is a definite. Now my issue is waiting which you know is not a Guy trait. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Nice one Guy. Was it wide open?
Shot at ISO 100 1/250 at F9. The quadras put out a full 400 watt power. It was slightly behind me so 10ft which is a pretty big pop coming from them. If I shot it with just the diffuser it would have gone to most likely F13. So that will give folks a idea how much juice they have fighting the AZ sun. The 110mm has very nice bokeh

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Here just a quick shot of my nephew last night with a 110mm on my P40+ about 9 ft away . Full Image airbrushed a good chunk but extremely sharp.
Guy! Where's the skintone enhancement on this image?

It's begging for a luminance push to a narrow selection of the magentas in the skin and then a strong consistency slider towards a homogenous skin color! Masked to the face if needed.

I know you know how! :p

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Last edited: