The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One /Mamiya AFDIII Body Users Report

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This data came from another thread and wanted to capture it under it's own title. Pardon my copying and pasting to make this make sense for the viewer

Quote from Jack:
Hi all:

Real quick update. New body arrived just as I was heading out the door for a long weekend away with the family, so had to exercise restraint the entire afternoon... (Actualy I delayed my departure for about an hour just to give it that extra bit to show and was rewarded.) But it meant I could not actually mess with it for several more hours

Anyway, initial impressions. 1) The body looks "smaller" than the AFD2. 2) Ergos are a bit different too, not bad, just different. 3) AF is a bit noiser -- call it 15% noisier. 4) BUT the trade-off is AF is also faster, my estimate is about 1/3rd faster, so pretty significant. 5) Also, AF lag is reduced significantly. 6) Shutter lag is also reduced, a really welcome upgrade -- maybe cut as much as in half. 7) Custom functions are all different AND the camera does not come with an owners manual, just a quick reference guide that does not explain the settings in enough detail to know which options to select -- STUPID!!!!!! Fortunately , my best buddy got online and found the explanations for the CF settings -- thanks Guy! Here's the link he found, bookmark it if you're getting this body: http://www.mamiya.com/645afd-iii-mor...functions.html 8) Basic is I cannot set the AFD3 exactly as I set my AFD2 up. This is sort of a bummer, but in the end I was able to set it up in a a fashion that gives me almost everything I had, so okay for right now but definitely want it addressed with the next firmware. (See gripes below) 9) The new evaluative metering definitely seems more accurate --better at protecting highlights and more consistent throughout varied exposure conditions, more on this as I get more time with it. 10) Oh yeah, the new 80 lens is really nice, but they switched to 67mm filters -- ?
~~~

A MAJOR gripe and a nit...

1) There is NO way to turn off the main shutter button from activating AF unless you go to manual focus. You can lock AF, but that doesn't solve my problem. I often set my camera so the rear thumb button focuses and nothing else will except a touch on that button for focus tweak. This way I can focus once on a main subject, recompose and shoot away without focus changing. Need to change focus, a quick tap on the rear button and the camera AF's. So what you can do is reverse the positions of AE lock and AF lock buttons with CF 15 -- that's the first part and that's good. You can also set CF 19 so the AF lock button will AF when pressed and lock once focused, but you have to hold as you press the shutter button or it will re-focus -- not good for my needs. You can also set CF 19 so a single press on the AF lock will hold lock until you press it again, but it doesn't release after firing, you have to press it a second time -- an inconvenience and problematic if you forget you locked AF. Hence, I sometimes prefer having my AF-lock button be the only ACTIVE AF button since it's sometimes more convenient when only needing to make occasional focus tweaks -- but there's no way to do this with the new body. Take note Phase/Mamiya, this is a deal-breaker for me and HAS to be fixed in the next firmware update! Add TWO CF 16 options, a CF 16-2 for half-press doing AE only and a 16-3 for half-press doing neither AF or AE!

2) This is an obvious glitch that needs to be fixed in the next firmware: the manual focus direction arrows are reversed! IOW they point left when you need to turn the focus ring to the right and vice-versa -- DUH!
~~~

More later tomorrow after my morning shoot!

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Re: Phase One /Mamiya AFDIII Users Report

I use mine a little differently. I want the shutter on the back dial and aperture on the front dial. Than I will have to see about the AF stuff. I don't mind the half press. I wonder though if this will follow focus, that would be handy shooting runway next week. But i can do without. Glad to hear AF is a lot faster and the biggy shutter lag is shorter. That one bugs me with the original AFD. Well several hours now andI will know. It's really early so heading to AT&T store and do a drive by and see the line for the 3g . Maybe I can actually get a signal in my office, instead of getting a call and gluing myself to a spot to talk. What a pain that is

Guy Mancuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotografz
Jack, is that the camera with multiple AF points? If so tell us about that feature. How spread out are the points? Are they all cross sensor types? Inquiring minds need to know
Hi Marc:

Yes there are three AF points, you can select any single one or all. They are not very spread out across the sensor; they reside at each edge and center of the central AF patch. I do not know if all three are cross type or just the center, but AF is a lot better. To put the new AF in perspective, this thing AF's almost as well in low light as the last generation Canon 1's and better than my 5D did, and is as fast as my 5D was with non-USM focus Canon lenses -- this is a serious improvement over the AFD2...

The AF button thing is killing me though! I just cannot shoot in my "normal" fashion with the current configuration options

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

From JacK:

I mentioned there was a lot of smoke. Northern CA has several fires burning, the closest of which is over 150 miles away from me. Here is what the normally crystal clear view from my cabin deck looks like now -- a few of you have seen that view, so will know how scuzzy this really is. What's weird is the smoke has traveled so far it does not smell like smoke any more...

This shot is straight out of the camera, converted in C1 with straight daylight WB and no added adjustments. Phase body in Av mode, new 80mm lens at f8, no exposure comp. (The new metering handles difficult light extremely well!)

Guy Mancuso

From Ray

Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso
I use mine a little differently. I want the shutter on the back dial and aperture on the front dial.
Guy,

You only need to change this in Manual mode. In Aperture or Shutter priority, both the front wheel and back wheel do the identical things. I have my AFDII loaner set up with the change, so that the front wheel is aperture and back is shutter also. I'm just so used to that from Nikon and the Hassy. On the new AFDIII, it looks like you change Custom Function 11 to Option 1.

Best,

Ray

Guy Mancuso

From Jack:

FWIW the button swap and dial swap CF's are still there and work just like on the AFD2, so no worries there.

Guy Mancuso

Well get working on report soon with the Mamiya . We need to Take Jacks comments out of this thread and start a new thread devoted to the new Phase Body. I screwed up this thread with all Iphone crap, so we will make a thread for the Phase body for historical and users viewing. I will say a huge improvement over the original AFD and i like the way it feels and handles , very important to me because i can tend to shoot fast sometimes. It is worth the wait it is faster in all most all area's and very responsive. AF sound is a little louder maybe because a lot faster but this does keep up with most DSLR in speed. The focusing points could have been spread out more but I shoot a lot of center point AF anyway and recompose like I do on the M8 and D300 anyway so I can work the same way which is important with different systems. Sorry folks but I need some more rest catch up later.

Guy Mancuso

From Woody:

Jack

this is a really interesting and wonderful image. The transition from the sun at close to white to the reflection in the water at almost red is stunning. Hate it that it takes tragic fires to get these images. Having sat on your porch and remembering the view, this really hurts.

God bless and hope the situation resolves for you soon

Best

Woody