The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Bag for S2 and two lenses?

Petster

Hello,

I'am currently looking for a shoulder bag for the S2. One lense mounted, one spare... and maybe space for a third lense. I'am a big fan of the quality of TTP bags and do have the Retrospective10 in mind. But as where I'am this is not available atm I do need something else. It should not look like a photobag but should fulfill all the reqs you need for carrying around your cam. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Pete

Paratom

I know its not a shoulder bag but I really like the Sling-O-Matic which works perfect for an S2 with 1 lens attached and 2 additional + some room for a small flash or something else.
Its very good protection, it carries well for the weight, it has a large "door" and is very good to access, and it still doesnt look/feel to big.
IMO the prefect bag for the S2.
You cn fit in the S2 with attached lens and hood in case of the 35,70,120. The 180 you have to reverse the hood if the lens is attached on the camera.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I use two bags . Almost any standard DSLR bag can be used just for the body and the 70. The 2nd bag is either the Think Tank Lens Bag (for 2 lenses) or a Billingham Hadley Large set up for three lenses. The key is that the Lens bag is tall and set up to leave the hoods on . This allows you to carry the camera and lens over one shoulder and the lens bag across your chest and on your hip . If I want 3 lenses I set up the Billingham with a large center sleeve.

This really works for shooting and short trips . For travel/air etc . I would pack the system for protection and stuff the lens bag (empty) in my luggage .

You carry minimal weight and have 3 or 4 lenses ready to shoot.

GMB

I know its not a shoulder bag but I really like the Sling-O-Matic which works perfect for an S2 with 1 lens attached and 2 additional + some room for a small flash or something else.
Its very good protection, it carries well for the weight, it has a large "door" and is very good to access, and it still doesnt look/feel to big.
IMO the prefect bag for the S2.
You cn fit in the S2 with attached lens and hood in case of the 35,70,120. The 180 you have to reverse the hood if the lens is attached on the camera.
I second this recommendation. I used the Sling-O-Matic extensively on a recent trip. Great back for the camera with one lens and to extra ones.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
In a backpack I would venture the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW...opens up inside so that the harness and contents are not exposed to the ground.

In a waist pack I prefer the Lowepro Orion AW...converts from a backpack to a beltback...probably only a three lens solution.

Both overbuilt and heavy but great protection

Bob

I have been very happy with the Think Tank Retrospective 30 shoulder bag. I have the bag arranged so the S2 with a lens mounted (e.g., 70mm) fits in the center area with the 35mm and 180mm on each side within the main compartment. The two front pockets can expand to be rather large. Then rear pocket holds an iPad easily and would hold a small laptop as well. I have never used the outside end pockets. The only problem with this bag is that you can put so much stuff in it that it gets very heavy. It is comfortable to carry and easy to shoot out of (e.g., changing lenses and getting to accessories). Plus, it's appearance doesn't scream camera bag.

Petster

Thanks for all the recommendations.

@Mark, do you think the Retrospektive 20 will work with two lenses?

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

Yes, I think it will work fine. I chose the Retrospective 30 because I preferred the lower profile and I had a 3 lens kit in mind when I bought it. The internal dimensions for each bag are provided below. Both bags weight the same. A difference I see is the 20 has 1 outside pocket and the 30 has 2 outside pockets.

The 20 would probably work better if you have 180mm mounted on the camera. This combo will fit in the 30, but the 20 is taller so should be better in that respect.

Retrospective 20
ID: 12” W x 11.75” H x 6” D

Retrospective 30
ID: 15” W x 9.5” H x 6” D