Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IQ180 has arrived. Request for tests.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IQ180 has arrived. Request for tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Ok,these first Classic Warranty Kits have arrived only in the box, no case.

Steve Hendrix
    What is the cost for upgrading to the Value added warranty? Does that cost include all of the extras?

There was some mention of warranties for purchase on an annual basis.... what is the status and cost regarding this?

Victor

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it is 4k you get all the extra's plus a 3 year warranty and loaner program plus a mount swap. Steve can enlighten you more but I think that is the case
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I think it is 4k you get all the extra's plus a 3 year warranty and loaner program plus a mount swap. Steve can enlighten you more but I think that is the case

$4,000 - Value Add 5 Year Warranty, includes Hot Swap, Extra Accessories

If upgrading from P+ 3 Year Value Add Warranty to IQ 5 Year Value Add Warranty, the range is $1,603 (from P65+) - $3,360 (from P20+).

For individual single year warranty:
    $699 - 1 Year Repair Warranty (<18MP), in warranty
    $999 - 1 Year Repair Warranty (<18MP), out of warranty
    $1,499 - 1 Year Uptime Warranty (includes loaner) (<18MP), in warranty
    $1,999 - 1 Year Uptime Warranty (includes loaner) (<18MP), out of warranty

$999 - 1 Year Repair Warranty (>22MP), in warranty
    $1,499 - Year Repair Warranty (>22MP), out of warranty
    $1,799 - 1 Year Uptime Warranty (includes loaner) (>22MP), in warranty
    $2,699 - 1 Year Uptime Warranty (includes loaner) (>22MP), out of warranty

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

....I'm divided on this issue. It would be a nice gesture. It actually makes the most sense from a marketing perspective. But it does seem potentially wasted on perhaps 30% or more of the purchasers, who may not have a Canon or Nikon. They can always download a trial. But...then again....

Steve Hendrix
    I already have C1 Pro so I don't have any beef on this , but maybe a compromise of some sorts: get one license without any upgrades. It is my understanding that if you purchase C1 Pro, it comes with one upgrade (next version, not minor updates). Or some kind of discount ($99 instead of paying full price).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm divided on this issue. It would be a nice gesture. It actually makes the most sense from a marketing perspective. But it does seem potentially wasted on perhaps 30% or more of the purchasers, who may not have a Canon or Nikon. They can always download a trial. But...then again....

Steve Hendrix
    Steve, I think that for the case you mentioned (people without a Canon or Nikon - or without ANY other camera that C1 supports, which is slightly more difficult) the problem doesn't exist: is not a "wasted gift", meaning that those customers will never use it, so for C1 is a 0 sum situation I stand on my position of actually questioning the good faith of Phase One on this one - I think is a deliberate move to earn a little more $$ out of almost every customer that doesn't get the Added Value Pack, a move which - while making sense on their side as a sure 400 extra bucks - I still find very un-classy as an attitude towards customers that spend 10s of thousand dollars on one's product. I give you one better: I'd go the opposite way, and as a gesture of reward for loyal customers I would REFUND the purchase price to customers who already bought C1 previously to buying a IQ or P back now, THAT would be a really classy gesture and basically cost-free for C1...
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't think Phase should supply C1 Pro with either. The DB version is the full version to use with a Phase back and if you need to use a DSLR then pay the upgrade.

Since C1 has been a paid application the upgrades and excellent new features have been coming thick and fast and thats how it should be. Giving it away free just reduces the amount of investment the software developers get.

Remember with version 3 you got two free major upgrades (virtually everyone using C1 then), the resulting version 4 was a disater that took forever to arrive. I had to use lightroom, which I hated with my then new Canons for 12 months before a Pro version got released and it was FULL of bugs!

The upgrade fee is pretty small considering the investment involved and its not as if your left high and dry with the digital back.
    Last edited by gazwas; 3rd May 2011 at 15:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    Steve, I think that for the case you mentioned (people without a Canon or Nikon - or without ANY other camera that C1 supports, which is slightly more difficult) the problem doesn't exist: is not a "wasted gift", meaning that those customers will never use it, so for C1 is a 0 sum situation I stand on my position of actually questioning the good faith of Phase One on this one - I think is a deliberate move to earn a little more $$ out of almost every customer that doesn't get the Added Value Pack, a move which - while making sense on their side as a sure 400 extra bucks - I still find very un-classy as an attitude towards customers that spend 10s of thousand dollars on one's product. I give you one better: I'd go the opposite way, and as a gesture of reward for loyal customers I would REFUND the purchase price to customers who already bought C1 previously to buying a IQ or P back now, THAT would be a really classy gesture and basically cost-free for C1...

All good points, as are the points made by Gazwas and Valentin. There's a lot to consider on both sides of the issue. I think if there was not a dedicated team for Capture One sales and marketing, not to mention specific and significant development costs of Capture One for Canon and Nikon, then there might be more opportunity/motivation for just tossing it in.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW I have a Phase hard case for sale it is the back version. It's in the B&S for 50 dollars if anyone wants one. I actually have 3 cases
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    Lance's post is only for the value added I think. It does not say hard case for the classic one
    Lance's image shows the Value Added hardcase, but the Classic configuration lists a "small weatherproof case". Is this just a glorified plastic box, maybe not something like the mini Pelicans?

To be fair, this is pretty minor stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    I personally don't think Phase should supply C1 Pro with either. The DB version is the full version to use with a Phase back and if you need to use a DSLR then pay the upgrade.

The upgrade fee is pretty small considering the investment involved and its not as if your left high and dry with the digital back.
    True enough, and I agree. But ... there is a small part of me that still thinks that given the size of the investment and the "premium" nature of the product, then customers should also be provided with the "premium" version of the software. After all, we are buying into the top of the food chain with these backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I actually have 3 cases

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post

Since C1 has been a paid application the upgrades and excellent new features have been coming thick and fast and thats how it should be. Giving it away free just reduces the amount of investment the software developers get.

All good points, as are the points made by Gazwas and Valentin. There's a lot to consider on both sides of the issue. I think if there was not a dedicated team for Capture One sales and marketing, not to mention specific and significant development costs of Capture One for Canon and Nikon, then there might be more opportunity/motivation for just tossing it in.

Steve Hendrix
    Well, while I see your points, you guys pretty much forget that tossing it in wouldn't exactly be a "gift" from Phase It would mean to take a very very minimal slice of the pretty large margin they have on the backs and use it to pay for the software license, THEIR cost of which - let's not forget - is not quite the retail price that WE pay (there is margin on that, too). So, it would mean a VERY little reduction on profit (which is very different from an actual EXPENSE) for Phase to provide what I still consider it would be a great, classy act to customers who invested, let's not forget, 10s of K-bucks in their products (most customers do not use the back on a tech camera ONLY, so we have other 10s of K-bucks in their system as a whole, too, besides the back)

I actually think the same thing for the battery: adding a second one in all kits, which given the exceedingly short duration of one's charge (especially in 2011 battery life terms) is pretty much a minimal necessity for any shooter, would cost them what, a few bucks? Less than 10, I am pretty sure - but no, to get the back to minimal operational status they ask you for a few $ extra for a second battery - not cool

Just little things, of course, and definitely not the end of the world - but it would make quite a different impression and make them stand out even more over the competition, if they'd take care of them, and that would come at a very very low cost for them if any at all, too. Just my .02 of course.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    Well, while I see your points, you guys pretty much forget that tossing it in wouldn't exactly be a "gift" from Phase It would mean to take a very very minimal slice of the pretty large margin they have on the backs and use it to pay for the software license, THEIR cost of which - let's not forget - is not quite the retail price that WE pay (there is margin on that, too). So, it would mean a VERY little reduction on profit (which is very different from an actual EXPENSE) for Phase to provide what I still consider it would be a great, classy act to customers who invested, let's not forget, 10s of K-bucks in their products (most customers do not use the back on a tech camera ONLY, so we have other 10s of K-bucks in their system as a whole, too, besides the back)

I actually think the same thing for the battery: adding a second one in all kits, which given the exceedingly short duration of one's charge (especially in 2011 battery life terms) is pretty much a minimal necessity for any shooter, would cost them what, a few bucks? Less than 10, I am pretty sure - but no, to get the back to minimal operational status they ask you for a few $ extra for a second battery - not cool

Just little things, of course, and definitely not the end of the world - but it would make quite a different impression and make them stand out even more over the competition, if they'd take care of them, and that would come at a very very low cost for them if any at all, too. Just my .02 of course.

I see merits in your points Vieri.

The only point I would make is that - having been in both dugouts - end users often significantly underestimate the costs of components, development, etc. The view is more a guesstimate (and usually an under-guesstimate) of what it costs to buy something to resell, rather than the real costs of providing said components, in terms of the many ramifications this could have.

I once worked for a company a long time ago (back in the mid 90's). There was an internal debate about whether to include a printed manual as we had gone to providing manuals on CD. I was for having a printed manual - customers seemed to have a preference for this and after all, how much could a manual cost? In the discussion that followed, it was projected that a manual might add $1 to the cost. I looked around and said - no brainer, then! The CEO then looked up and said, ok, but that is $1 times our projection of 1 million units this year, so is it worth $1,000,000 to have a printed manual opposed to a CD?

Gave me a little different perspective. Like I said, there's no right or wrong answer, but there's a lot more that involves consideration beyond what one might guess is the price of adding this or that component for free.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez reality sucks. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve - the Wired review noted that the battery life was pretty miserable. Would you please report what you are getting from the batteries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Steve - the Wired review noted that the battery life was pretty miserable. Would you please report what you are getting from the batteries.
    Thank you Terry! I asked that on page 1 and it got ignored --- I think it's a really important item to know for those of us depending on the back in field situations.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I see merits in your points Vieri.

The only point I would make is that - having been in both dugouts - end users often significantly underestimate the costs of components, development, etc. The view is more a guesstimate (and usually an under-guesstimate) of what it costs to buy something to resell, rather than the real costs of providing said components, in terms of the many ramifications this could have.

I once worked for a company a long time ago (back in the mid 90's). There was an internal debate about whether to include a printed manual as we had gone to providing manuals on CD. I was for having a printed manual - customers seemed to have a preference for this and after all, how much could a manual cost? In the discussion that followed, it was projected that a manual might add $1 to the cost. I looked around and said - no brainer, then! The CEO then looked up and said, ok, but that is $1 times our projection of 1 million units this year, so is it worth $1,000,000 to have a printed manual opposed to a CD?

Gave me a little different perspective. Like I said, there's no right or wrong answer, but there's a lot more that involves consideration beyond what one might guess is the price of adding this or that component for free.

Steve Hendrix
    Hey Steve, thank you for your reply - great story! However, if then you spread that 1M$ back over the resale price of your million items, it is still a 1$ difference in the end price: the question then is, are your customers happier to pay 1$ more and finding a printed manual, or save that buck and hustle with the CD manual, use their own printer, etc? My point is, I still think Phase could easily squeeze a battery & a license in the ~44K they ask for the IQ 180; and, even assuming they'll fear going bankrupt by providing 1 battery + 1 license to each customer, I'd be happy to pay 44.390 rather than 43.990 and finding 2 batteries and a license in the box... but I am pretty sure they could easily afford doing it in the margin they already have: it's a matter of how much customer happiness means to them and how vocal their customers are on the matter, combined with how much competition is there for them to be afraid of, and ultimately it's about how customers will vote with their wallets
    Vieri Bottazzini

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve,

will Chris and Doug have one on hand for testing as well or are you and Dave hogging them all up in Atlanta?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Steve,

will Chris and Doug have one on hand for testing as well or are you and Dave hogging them all up in Atlanta?
    We're sharing one for the first few weeks until we get our second.

It will be in Miami for tomorrow's Broncolor Training event. Feel free to come play :-).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Steve,

Yeah, the Divas in Miami stole it from us!

Signed,
    IQ-Less in Atlanta (not the first time...)

Steve Hendrix

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Files with made wide schneider lenses off a tech camera with C1 6.2 correcting the banding. Preferably pre and post LCC corrections.
    Terry,

I think that this one is pretty important! I hear that both of the 80mp sensor cameras are even more challenged by this than the current P+ series ... what I heard was actually somewhat disturbing but I'll await feedback from further tests. Hopefully it's just a case of still being a work in progress and solvable.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've got bad news and good news regarding battery tests of the IQ.

I foolishly thought our first test should be to see how long the back will display an image continuously on the LCD (with all the auto-sleep/dim settings disabled). I was assuming continuous LCD usage would drain the battery in 30-40 minutes. Chris guessed an hour.

It's now 2 hours and 55 minutes later and the battery indicator is still showing full.

To be clear I don't know what this tells us. I intended to do the following three tests:
    - straight continuous shooting (hold down button until card is full, format card if needed start again), no image review
    - continuous image review (scrolling through images, and zooming in/out)
    - continuous LCD usage (just showing a static image).

However it looks like the back will be on the road again without having even tested the LCD usage until depletion.
    I'm guessing, but won't know until testing, that continuous image review (zooming in/out, scrolling, turning on and off histogram, exposure warning, focus mask, etc) will drain the battery much more than just having the image static on the LCD as this will be using several processor cores.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug no worries i can help you out next week if you want when you are here in town, since you will be busy with your training. Maybe I can take it out at 5 am and shoot until 8 am with it with long exposures and chimping and get a good read on battery life. There is a golf course and nice mountain range where you are staying. I can volunteer myself to whatever you need to help. It's a lot of work for me but I think i can sacrifice myself. LOL

Seriously you and Dave can put me to work.

BTW I did read somewhere it will go 3 hours on standby whatever the heck that works out to be in real life is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

When is the back available to everyone? My local dealer in Asia got one today but it was already sold. I was told maybe next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great question Dan been very quiet on that front.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And now for something completely different:

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken Doo will have to explain the above image.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does it come with a ski mask?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ebe send you mine when I'm done. Mine is almost done being custom made. Using 3inch LCD in front so I can see. LOL

10 minute battery life

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stopped at 5 hours an 5 minutes of continous LCD usage.

Chris will run the number of shots on continous test this weekend.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Stopped at 5 hours an 5 minutes of continous LCD usage.

Chris will run the number of shots on continous test this weekend.
    Any your demo back with have a hefty shot count before too long

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy:

Does your Phase One Case have wheels like Daves? I would like to buy it if it has wheels. Please advise
    Thanks
    Phil Lindsay

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug - does the Mascot come with the Classic Warranty or only the Value Added Warranty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No Phil just the regular one. The roller one is nice which I have one of those I put my quadra system in

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of those cases too. Maybe Phase could offer a case upgrade program? I sure liked that case that Dave has!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check with your dealer. I think you can buy them with the accessories .

Post Thanks / Like

$4,000 - Value Add 5 Year Warranty, includes Hot Swap, Extra Accessories

If upgrading from P+ 3 Year Value Add Warranty to IQ 5 Year Value Add Warranty, the range is $1,603 (from P65+) - $3,360 (from P20+).

Steve Hendrix
    That is good news Steve, make sure mine is flagged as va warranty so I get my extras.

Any news on actual deliveries to customers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shipping the 15th. Don't tell anyone I said that

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think that given the amount of positive attention attracted on GetDPI for medium format digital and the "enabling" that you and Jack have performed here that Phase One ought to give you both long term loaners. In my business we call that product placement/enablement with customers of influence

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All in and agree. Please send Phase a note. LOL

The bad news is we pay just like anyone else just maybe get product sooner sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham, that's a wonderful sentiment, but unfortunately not a reality in the high-end camera world! However, a little bird has indicated I *might* get mine delivered as early as next week since we're classified as "press" users.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, at least you're further up the delivery totem pole ... That's something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Never soon enough. I have a 2 month wait. I'm just not a very patient person waiting on gear at all. So I'm a little pissy at the moment. LOL

Now I sound like my 13 year old. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

>> at the moment??????????????

Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    However, a little bird has indicated I *might* get mine delivered as early as next week since we're classified as "press" users.
    Jealousy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jealousy
    They told me it was because I look so damn good in my avatar pic.

Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So much for the genius photographer who owns the copyright to that shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea where is your fee.

Post Thanks / Like

Well then Wayne Fox should get his really quick. He has the best avatar ever.

Although I think that's a Hassy he's glaring behind, which may irk Phase a bit.
    ;-P

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!
    Jack