The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 has arrived. Request for tests.

Steve, on the demo unit I tried, the 'zoom to 100%' time to check focus was very fast BUT only when the image was already 'processed' by the camera. A key metric is:

From the moment you press the shutter release, to the fastest you can get a 100% zoomed image to review on the screen, how long does it take? On the demo unit it was 10-12 seconds, with the card supplied by Phase and with another pro agreeing my timings.

My point being that if the fabled Live View with Focus Mask method of getting good focus with a tech cam is not yet nor may ever be available or fully viable, then this 'shoot-chimp-adjust' cycle needs to be fast.

Would love to hear your results! Thanks in advance...
Tim
Steve,

This is important for me too because many of my photos are of slowly moving objects. Does the rendering of the 100% view in composition mode appear more quickly than if the processor has to write to the card?

Also, is it awkward to enter and exit composition mode?

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

This is important for me too because many of my photos are of slowly moving objects. Does the rendering of the 100% view in composition mode appear more quickly than if the processor has to write to the card?

Also, is it awkward to enter and exit composition mode?

I just have to say up front I am not a fan of the composition mode in camera. I'm not even a fan of it in the software. (yes, I have had clients call to tell me they forgot to take it off composition mode and at the end of the day they realized.............um....ends badly....). :(

That said, I'll test that at some point today and see.

Steve Hendrix

vjbelle

Just did a quick test, shooting outside against 5DMK-II screen, same image, same exposure. The IQ180 screen looks sharper. Oh....duh! :)

They look very similar generally speaking in terms of clarity, resolution, tone. When viewed using a loupe, it is easy to see that the screen from the IQ180 displays finer detail than the 5DMK-II screen, which shows more "pixel-ness" than the IQ180 screen.

I will say it was a whole lot faster viewing an 80MP image at 100% on the IQ180 than it was viewing a 22MP image at 100% on the 5DMK-II.

Steve Hendrix
Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to test with a loupe. This really is great news. As long as there is some, even slight, foreground or background it should be very easy to nail focus. The only draw back to live view would be a completely flat two dimensional image..... at that point maybe a few extra quick images would need to be shot to nail focus.

Victor

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Steve,

That is verrry iiinteresting: this thread from my first try-out

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23327

has several sources suggesting that with a fast card it was 3 seconds even in the prototype and would be more or less instant in the shipping version... so I hate to ask, and I am sure you were, but, were you using a fast card because, well six and a half seconds may be fast given the file size but in practical terms it is damned slow and IMHO if there's no reasonable LV/FM functionality it is in fact too slow....

Now I'll get shot.

Good point Tim.

Just tested. Different result this time.

Shoot, zoom 100%. IQ180 - 6.5 seconds
Shoot, zoom 100%. 5DMK-II - 4 seconds

Progress, perhaps more improvement down the line. Still, I suppose that's not bad for a raw image that is over 3 times the size of the 5DMK-II file.

Steve Hendrix

jlm

Workshop Member
Home test:
to get a feel for focus checking, put a loupe on an I-phone pic. you can see where the pixels start to limit the ability to resolve detail. Assuming the IQ can image a 100x portion of your capture, maybe this will work?

gogopix

Subscriber
This morning our first IQ180 arrived.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2011/05/02/phase-one-iq180-delivered/

We're happy. We're taking requests for tests to conduct on this first non-prototype unit. Please contact us with anything specific you'd be interested in seeing.

Steve Hendrix
I think we really need to verify that all thye features work in the Contax mount as well. I am willing to perform the tests, at no charge!!!

(This of COURSE, has nothing to do with my being #1 on the Contax list :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

I am SURE Phase will be fair in its mount allocations. :D

Actually, in the past I could not complain with their schedule; they got me upgrades along with their others.

As for the tests, I actually look forward to seeing them almost as tutorials.

Steve, also watch for areas where P+ to IQ is a little different, like in format or defaults etc. These mini reviews from early testers are invaluable! Thanks.

regards
Victor

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Steve,

That is verrry iiinteresting: this thread from my first try-out

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23327

has several sources suggesting that with a fast card it was 3 seconds even in the prototype and would be more or less instant in the shipping version... so I hate to ask, and I am sure you were, but, were you using a fast card because, well six and a half seconds may be fast given the file size but in practical terms it is damned slow and IMHO if there's no reasonable LV/FM functionality it is in fact too slow....

Now I'll get shot.

Tim -

This was with an 8GB Sandisk Extreme. I've always thought 4 seconds on my 5DMK-II was a bit on the slow side, so I can understand. I think we have to keep in mind that many of these tests will be evaluations of performance via Version 1 and that improvements may indeed be forthcoming.

But it's important to benchmark the current status concerning the out of the box experience. I'm sure we'll have some back and forth with the development team with regard to many of our findings to get a sense what type of improvements may be in store down the road.

Steve Hendrix

kdphotography

The IQ180 is definitely sexy. Yes, Phase has done a nice job on packaging, but call it past conditioning from having purchased several Phase MFDBs, I still think taking delivery in a Pelican style case is more substantial and classier.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The real outer box should be a hard case I agree . For the money certainly so and transport to your door

gazwas

It only comes in a padded, cheaply printed cardboard box!! :wtf:

Our original Lightphase came in a cardboard box but ever since then they have given you a really nice hard case to protect your investment......... SHOCKING!

But obviously we'll be told its to reduce our carbon footprint. :loco:

Dan Santoso

They got the LCD from Apple, that's why :)

btw why the 10′ USB3-USB2 cable? If I get an adapter for USB2 to USB3,can I get USB3 speed?

cng

Maybe the cardboard box comes in a Pelican case? :)

Phase One, bring back the hardcase! You're not shipping iPods.

narikin

It ain't about the accesories, BUT...

1: Same charger made for an amateur video camcorder c.1992.
2: No USB3.0 > USB 3.0 lead? hello it is 2011.
3: How many batteries, what capacity?
4: They only give you C1 DB ?! -all that money and they don't give you the full C1 Pro licence. I mean... really? a little gift, is surely possible.

kdphotography

I'm more worried about what kind of box my wife would have me carried out in if I ordered one of those!
See, that's why the Pelican case also serves double-duty. But she's gotta catch you first. :D

Also missing (albeit small capacity) is a Sandisk CF card. Yeah, I know... previous conditioning from earlier Phase MFDB purchases. Small things, but those small things make for a really nice touch---and people do notice. And apparently, the latest, greatest, fastest Sandisk CF memory cards do make a difference with the IQ series MFDBs, so that really would be a nice touch in the box.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea thinking about the Extreme pros now. I use just Extremes presently.

Of course i have plenty of time . Who knows when they will start shipping the IQ 140.