The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 has arrived. Request for tests.

Steve Hendrix

Well, while I see your points, you guys pretty much forget that tossing it in wouldn't exactly be a "gift" from Phase ;) It would mean to take a very very minimal slice of the pretty large margin they have on the backs and use it to pay for the software license, THEIR cost of which - let's not forget - is not quite the retail price that WE pay (there is margin on that, too). So, it would mean a VERY little reduction on profit (which is very different from an actual EXPENSE) for Phase to provide what I still consider it would be a great, classy act to customers who invested, let's not forget, 10s of K-bucks in their products (most customers do not use the back on a tech camera ONLY, so we have other 10s of K-bucks in their system as a whole, too, besides the back) :D

I actually think the same thing for the battery: adding a second one in all kits, which given the exceedingly short duration of one's charge (especially in 2011 battery life terms) is pretty much a minimal necessity for any shooter, would cost them what, a few bucks? Less than 10, I am pretty sure - but no, to get the back to minimal operational status they ask you for a few $ extra for a second battery - not cool :toocool:

Just little things, of course, and definitely not the end of the world - but it would make quite a different impression and make them stand out even more over the competition, if they'd take care of them, and that would come at a very very low cost for them if any at all, too. Just my .02 of course.

I see merits in your points Vieri.

The only point I would make is that - having been in both dugouts - end users often significantly underestimate the costs of components, development, etc. The view is more a guesstimate (and usually an under-guesstimate) of what it costs to buy something to resell, rather than the real costs of providing said components, in terms of the many ramifications this could have.

I once worked for a company a long time ago (back in the mid 90's). There was an internal debate about whether to include a printed manual as we had gone to providing manuals on CD. I was for having a printed manual - customers seemed to have a preference for this and after all, how much could a manual cost? In the discussion that followed, it was projected that a manual might add $1 to the cost. I looked around and said - no brainer, then! The CEO then looked up and said, ok, but that is $1 times our projection of 1 million units this year, so is it worth $1,000,000 to have a printed manual opposed to a CD?

Gave me a little different perspective. Like I said, there's no right or wrong answer, but there's a lot more that involves consideration beyond what one might guess is the price of adding this or that component for free.

Steve Hendrix

Terry

Steve - the Wired review noted that the battery life was pretty miserable. Would you please report what you are getting from the batteries.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steve - the Wired review noted that the battery life was pretty miserable. Would you please report what you are getting from the batteries.
Thank you Terry! I asked that on page 1 and it got ignored --- I think it's a really important item to know for those of us depending on the back in field situations.

vieri

I see merits in your points Vieri.

The only point I would make is that - having been in both dugouts - end users often significantly underestimate the costs of components, development, etc. The view is more a guesstimate (and usually an under-guesstimate) of what it costs to buy something to resell, rather than the real costs of providing said components, in terms of the many ramifications this could have.

I once worked for a company a long time ago (back in the mid 90's). There was an internal debate about whether to include a printed manual as we had gone to providing manuals on CD. I was for having a printed manual - customers seemed to have a preference for this and after all, how much could a manual cost? In the discussion that followed, it was projected that a manual might add $1 to the cost. I looked around and said - no brainer, then! The CEO then looked up and said, ok, but that is $1 times our projection of 1 million units this year, so is it worth $1,000,000 to have a printed manual opposed to a CD?

Gave me a little different perspective. Like I said, there's no right or wrong answer, but there's a lot more that involves consideration beyond what one might guess is the price of adding this or that component for free.

Steve Hendrix
Hey Steve, thank you for your reply - great story! :D However, if then you spread that 1M$ back over the resale price of your million items, it is still a 1$ difference in the end price: the question then is, are your customers happier to pay 1$ more and finding a printed manual, or save that buck and hustle with the CD manual, use their own printer, etc? My point is, I still think Phase could easily squeeze a battery & a license in the ~44K they ask for the IQ 180; and, even assuming they'll fear going bankrupt by providing 1 battery + 1 license to each customer, I'd be happy to pay 44.390 rather than 43.990 and finding 2 batteries and a license in the box... but I am pretty sure they could easily afford doing it in the margin they already have: it's a matter of how much customer happiness means to them and how vocal their customers are on the matter, combined with how much competition is there for them to be afraid of, and ultimately it's about how customers will vote with their wallets :D

etrigan63

Steve,

will Chris and Doug have one on hand for testing as well or are you and Dave hogging them all up in Atlanta?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Steve,

will Chris and Doug have one on hand for testing as well or are you and Dave hogging them all up in Atlanta?
We're sharing one for the first few weeks until we get our second.

It will be in Miami for tomorrow's Broncolor Training event. Feel free to come play :).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Files with made wide schneider lenses off a tech camera with C1 6.2 correcting the banding. Preferably pre and post LCC corrections.
Terry,

I think that this one is pretty important! I hear that both of the 80mp sensor cameras are even more challenged by this than the current P+ series ... what I heard was actually somewhat disturbing but I'll await feedback from further tests. Hopefully it's just a case of still being a work in progress and solvable.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've got bad news and good news regarding battery tests of the IQ.

I foolishly thought our first test should be to see how long the back will display an image continuously on the LCD (with all the auto-sleep/dim settings disabled). I was assuming continuous LCD usage would drain the battery in 30-40 minutes. Chris guessed an hour.

It's now 2 hours and 55 minutes later and the battery indicator is still showing full.

To be clear I don't know what this tells us. I intended to do the following three tests:
- straight continuous shooting (hold down button until card is full, format card if needed start again), no image review
- continuous image review (scrolling through images, and zooming in/out)
- continuous LCD usage (just showing a static image).

However it looks like the back will be on the road again without having even tested the LCD usage until depletion.
I'm guessing, but won't know until testing, that continuous image review (zooming in/out, scrolling, turning on and off histogram, exposure warning, focus mask, etc) will drain the battery much more than just having the image static on the LCD as this will be using several processor cores.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Doug no worries i can help you out next week if you want when you are here in town, since you will be busy with your training. Maybe I can take it out at 5 am and shoot until 8 am with it with long exposures and chimping and get a good read on battery life. There is a golf course and nice mountain range where you are staying. I can volunteer myself to whatever you need to help. It's a lot of work for me but I think i can sacrifice myself. LOL

Seriously you and Dave can put me to work.

BTW I did read somewhere it will go 3 hours on standby whatever the heck that works out to be in real life is beyond me.

Dan Santoso

When is the back available to everyone? My local dealer in Asia got one today but it was already sold. I was told maybe next week.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ebe send you mine when I'm done. Mine is almost done being custom made. Using 3inch LCD in front so I can see. LOL

10 minute battery life

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Stopped at 5 hours an 5 minutes of continous LCD usage.

Chris will run the number of shots on continous test this weekend.