The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

close focusing range with a wide body

danlindberg

I am interested in a Sinar Artec for architecture and landscapes. It takes lenses up to 135mm and thought that maybe with a digitar 120 macro the camera can double as a studiocamera for tabletop photography. But I cannot find anywhere how close I can go?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I think you should strongly consider the Arca RM series for this purpose. The Arca, Cambo, Alpa, Sinar, and others all have advantages and disadvantages. But it's hard to find a system with more total system flexibility than Arca. The RM series (including all the mounted lenses) can be used as the front standard of a normal Arca view camera. The ground glass or sliding back can be transfered from the RM rear to the rear standard. Any Arca bellows can go in between. The tripod/head can remain the same (assuming it can handle the weight) since all of Arca's stuff is (by definition) Arca Swiss compatible (though be careful about their smaller and larger size and slight variations from 3rd party vendors - a good dealer will make sure you don't get burned by those).

This would mean you could have a really really great and portable tech camera for wide and super wide photography, and use almost your entire investment of that gear alongside a few more pieces to have a really really great table-top camera.

Now this is a very selfish and biased statement as we (Capture Integration sell Arca). Technically we sell the Sinar Artec as well, but we've focused on the Cambo and Arca solutions which we find overall much more appealing. Hopefully someone with a lot of experience with the Artec will chime in to provide you more details of the best way to proceed if you move forward with that system as each option deserves to be represented in it's best light.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

danlindberg

Thank you for your detailed answer :) I agree that there are some shortcomings with the artec.
The Arca seems very nice and I will study it further. However, I have not found any resellers yet in Sweden and I do like to have some sort of support in the country.
I am also considering the Linhof Techno. This seems like a great little tech camera that can double as both closeup and architecture.

There is so much to learn before I put money on the table!!! This forum is fantastic to gather information. Thanks!

f8orbust

Definitely don't overlook the Techno. If you'll be using it with one of the IQ backs, zoom and focus checking should be a breeze - removing the hurdle of focussing for digital on a bellows camera. That said, even without one of these backs, it's not too difficult if you use 'stops' to set focus at certain distances (e.g. hyperfocal @ f11). There are huge savings to be made on the cost of lenses, because there's no need to get held hostage by Alpa/Arca/Cambo etc. when it comes to the cost of the lens mount. You also have access to lenses from both Schneider and Rodenstock (and pretty much anyone else come to think of it), and it takes lenses from 23 - 250mm without the need for additional bits of hardware. You get front (yaw free) tilt, swing and rise, and back rise/fall and - with the sliding back - shift. Unfortunately there's not a great deal out there on the web about the Techno - the Canadian distributor (Blazes Photographic) has had a 'coming soon' website since the dawn of time, while the US one (HP Marketing) doesn't carry much info. about this camera specifically. Would be nice if CI stocked it! Linhof do at least have a nice website - but there's nothing better than end user feedback - so hopefully someone who uses it regularly will chip in.

danlindberg

I actually have two brochures (in paper) in front of me. One is the Techno and one is M679CS. I have to say that they look fantastic. Ofcourse the 679 is monstersize compered to my initial idea of a lightweight, but as it happens, there is an M679CS system together with a 47 XL and an 80 L with slidingback for phaseone, arca viewfinder, hardcase and more, for 8000 euros. Bought 2008 and in mint condition. I am tempted :p

By the way, what would be your choice of the digitars to shoot a series of exclusive watches? Is it the 120 macro?

f8orbust

In the studio a tethered M679 would be fine...but not sure I'd want to try shooting out doors with it given it's size and weight. Have a look at the MR video on the LuLa where he does just that...not my idea of fun.

Joe Cornish uses a Techno - in my book there couldn't be a much greater testament than this as to its capability out there in the big, wide (and wind-swept) world.

archivue

in this regard, Arca is a complete system...

i can share my lenses with all my cameras... and on the top of it, with a RM, you can use rings, or use an extender on the back !

just imagine sharing your lens and your back adapter and even your sliding back on a Rm2d, Rm3di, Rl3d, M line two, F line...

you can also use as i do a bellow with the Rm3d !

f8orbust

The Techno too is part of a system - lensboards, sliding backs, groundglass etc. are completely interchangeable with the M679 - and no need for rings or extenders on the Techno :cool:

archivue

The Techno too is part of a system - lensboards, sliding backs, groundglass etc. are completely interchangeable with the M679 - and no need for rings or extenders on the Techno :cool:
no need for rings or extenders on a M line 2... but for architecture and wide angle being shure of the focus on the ground glass is a pain !