Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

  1. #1
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    I knew Wired would get first crack at this so thought I would show there review. Enjoy

    http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/05/phase-one-iq180
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  2. #2
    Workshop Member lance_schad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phila./NY
    Posts
    1,146
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I knew Wired would get first crack at this so thought I would show there review. Enjoy

    http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/05/phase-one-iq180
    You beat me to it Guy, looks like the IQ is crossing over to the mainstream!

    But come on the reviewer took it to easter dinner? A little overkill don't you think? He did not even mention that he used Sensor+.

    Anyway happy Phase One is getting coverage outside the photo world.

    Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

  3. #3
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Much as I admire the IQ backs, Wired is not exactly a source I would take seriously. I find it slightly odd/amusing that Phase emailed everyone about that review.

  4. #4
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Nor would any of us but it has a huge distribution and affluent readers. Word of the day and you guessed it MARKETING
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  5. #5
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Was this a preproduction back? Concerned about the battery life comment at the end ...
    wayne
    My gallery

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    He said it was a production back. I would hazard that it was a gamma-level back, not beta-level like the ones we've been shown. He did not mention Sensor+ though someone in the comments referred to it as "some special pixel mojo". I posted a reply with a link to my article explaining the technology (awaiting moderation). There was also a lot of whining about lack of sample images (the author posted zero) to which I provided a link to some of mine (awaiting moderation) and some trolls (morons) complaining about the lack of video capabilities.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  7. #7
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Was this a preproduction back? Concerned about the battery life comment at the end ...
    Here is my take on that Wayne and maybe a guess as well. Obviously I think most folks are used to battery life on DSLR's which put out maybe 800 frames per charge and Wired is not really a photo reviewing team per say. We MF users know we will never see that in a back configuration and are more used to the 200 to 300 shots and than replace. Lets also consider huge new processor in these IQ backs and the need to push huge 80 mpx data around. Honestly I am not counting on these being better than our P backs or maybe not even equal to it. Until it's really tested in the field i'm pretty much resigning to the fact we will need extra batteries . Maybe not a popular thing to say but I'm sure there will be a compromise here on the battery life. Lets keep out fingers crossed here that it is not worse than today. I think all of us would take a equal amount in a heartbeat. I think what needs to be developed is simply better batteries in the same config.

    Lets also remember these batteries are not very big to say even Hassy's grip battery or leica's S2 battery so they will be limited by size and output.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Don and I just had the same conversation about the IQ battery-life, Guy. Perhaps a higher capacity battery could be the answer to keep power levels similar to the P40+/P65+.

    Power requirements of the new IQ processors aside, I do hope Steve over at CI realistically tests the battery life with a lot of chimping with that big IQ180 screen---how can you not use that screen when it's just begging for it? That's gotta take more power in actual use....

  9. #9
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    He said it was a production back.
    Guess I missed that. Went back and scanned through it again. All I could see was "We got the chance to test one for a week".
    wayne
    My gallery

  10. #10
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Here is my take on that Wayne and maybe a guess as well. Obviously I think most folks are used to battery life on DSLR's which put out maybe 800 frames per charge and Wired is not really a photo reviewing team per say. We MF users know we will never see that in a back configuration and are more used to the 200 to 300 shots and than replace. Lets also consider huge new processor in these IQ backs and the need to push huge 80 mpx data around. Honestly I am not counting on these being better than our P backs or maybe not even equal to it. Until it's really tested in the field i'm pretty much resigning to the fact we will need extra batteries . Maybe not a popular thing to say but I'm sure there will be a compromise here on the battery life. Lets keep out fingers crossed here that it is not worse than today. I think all of us would take a equal amount in a heartbeat. I think what needs to be developed is simply better batteries in the same config.

    Lets also remember these batteries are not very big to say even Hassy's grip battery or leica's S2 battery so they will be limited by size and output.
    Some good points ... obviously the reviewer had no frame of reference since he probably hasn't ever used a p65+. So jury is still out. I have no problem with batteries lasting a little less longer than my p65+ ... I'm sure I'll be using the display far more than I do now especially on my tech camera. Just hope it's still decent.
    wayne
    My gallery

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Was this a preproduction back? Concerned about the battery life comment at the end ...
    He obviously had it on Zero Latency for some bizarre reason.

    completely pointless review for ProPhotographers - tells you nothing.
    well done Phase for prioritizing this nonsense over shipping to your loyal customers.

  12. #12
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Or getting it to someone that can do a REAL review. Not mentioning any names here. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  13. #13
    Member JSK Rangefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Much as I admire the IQ backs, Wired is not exactly a source I would take seriously. I find it slightly odd/amusing that Phase emailed everyone about that review.

    Should the next stop be Robb Reports thats what ALPA did indirectly or directly some years ago.. and I'm sure it didn't work wonders but it paints the layers who's on the top..

    Personally I know number of people (non Photographers) who casually purchased ALPA cameras because they enjoy the method with usually Phase One on it.. on the other hand, I never seen CAMBO/SILVESTRI/etc. in non professional hands..

    So I guess spreading word in other fields is attractive.. since outside
    photo-community market does exist..

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    That wasn't a review, it was more like a blog post: Wow, EIGHTY megapixels. Badass. Better tell all my friends. Big files, weak batteries. Wow, EIGHTY megapixels. Did I tell you it has EIGHTY megapixels? Badass, sickest thing ever.

    Good on Phase for getting their product seen outside of the photography world though.

    Let's face it, all reviews are just glorified marketing (nothing wrong with that) and next to useless for anyone who really wants to use the gear. All the crucial small details that we want to know are mainly discovered either by testing, on forums like this one and/or with the help of our dealers. Even the reviews in the so-called "real" photography magazines like BJP, PDN etc are pretty fluffy. There's just not enough time or space to write anything substantive for these types of products.

  15. #15
    Workshop Member Wayne Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    134

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    He obviously had it on Zero Latency for some bizarre reason.

    completely pointless review for ProPhotographers - tells you nothing.
    well done Phase for prioritizing this nonsense over shipping to your loyal customers.
    Actually could be these guys were the last ones ... Could be they got a demo back recently after everyone else.
    wayne
    My gallery

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post

    ...........completely pointless review for ProPhotographers - tells you nothing.
    ...............
    Not quite, he did point out that "the motor drive isnít as fast as my 35mm".

  17. #17
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Not quite, he did point out that "the motor drive isnít as fast as my 35mm".
    Wow - definitely we needed this guy to tell us THAT very insightful indeed!

    Seriously, good for Phase to get the technology out there, and - if they start sell IQ180s in the million units we may be able to be all going to get it cheaper, so... go for it guys!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  18. #18
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: IQ 180 First Review from Wired magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Actually could be these guys were the last ones ... Could be they got a demo back recently after everyone else.
    They where the first to get a production unit according to my sources.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •