Site Sponsors

Thread: Checking in...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Checking in...

Hadn't been here in awhile thought I'd share a couple test shots I took on the Alaska trip.

Horseshoe Bend Page AZ Mamiya AFDII/P30+ & 28mm

Tern Lake Alaska (between Home & Anchorage) Mamiya AFDII/P30+ & 28mm

I just love that 28!

Hope you enjoy...

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Checking in...

Welcome back Don! Looks like you are getting along fine with the new glass, nice images
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not saying anything Don , that Mamiya 28mm has me just to jealous to comment. LOL

Seriously looking great there with those.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

dlew308

nice pix!

Guy, when's the best time to visit Horseshoe Bend? It's on my list to visit someday....oh my long list....

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have yet to go there but my bet to maybe get some snow in the distant mountains February or early spring. I would go when the sun is still low on the surface of the earth.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been to Page several different times of the year. The view faces towards the west and is low much like a slot canyon. Ive been there early in the morning and the water and surrounding area was just too deep in shadow. Going the other way, late afternoon/sunset and the colors are in the way face that you cant see because youre standing on it. The best time (as far as Im concerned) is between 930 and maybe 3 or 4 p.m. This shot was taken around 10 a.m.

Time of year? Id like to see it during monsoon season with dark angry skies and lighting but have just been to busy to make the drive from Tucson to get it, maybe Guy can do it.

Guy You really need to think hard about this lens. Yes its expensive but excellent tools normally are.

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

dlew308

very awesome
    I'll have to see how far it is from los angeles....
    I saw the pic of you hanging over to take the pic on LL's site....is it scary ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Hadn't been here in awhile thought I'd share a couple test shots I took on the Alaska trip.
    Beautiful shots Don. Re photo of Tern Lake....I know that spot well....and that sky too....pretty much describes our whole summer up here this year. I think we've had about 4 sunny days thus far.

Look forward to seeing some more of your photos from the trip up to the Last Frontier.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    I’ve been to Page several different times of the year. The view faces towards the west and is low much like a slot canyon. I’ve been there early in the morning and the water and surrounding area was just too deep in shadow. Going the other way, late afternoon/sunset and the colors are in the way face that you can’t see because you’re standing on it. The best time (as far as I’m concerned) is between 930 and maybe 3 or 4 p.m. This shot was taken around 10 a.m.

Time of year? I’d like to see it during monsoon season with dark angry skies and lighting but have just been to busy to make the drive from Tucson to get it, maybe Guy can do it.

Guy – You really need to think hard about this lens. Yes it’s expensive but excellent tools normally are.

don
    Hey Don

I too have been to Page a number of times. One of my favorites is November when the weather is still reasonable (remember you will likely be up and out around 5:30 - 6:00 to catch first rays. This is when the rim light on the far foothills is best. I agree that the water below can get blocked up so I have done some HDR renditions with decent success.

Hope you guys enjoy this one

Best

Woody

Oh by the way, this was shot with the M8 two days after i got it in November 2006. No IR filter on the 28 Cron Asph

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoops.........my bad.

This was shot with either the R15 using the Novoflex adapter for R to M or the little CV 15. I just don't remember for sure. My best guess is the CV 15

Sorry

Woody