The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Checking in...

Don Libby

Hadn't been here in awhile thought I'd share a couple test shots I took on the Alaska trip.

Horseshoe Bend Page AZ Mamiya AFDII/P30+ & 28mm

Tern Lake Alaska (between Home & Anchorage) Mamiya AFDII/P30+ & 28mm

I just love that 28!

Hope you enjoy...

don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back Don! Looks like you are getting along fine with the new glass, nice images :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm not saying anything Don , that Mamiya 28mm has me just to jealous to comment. LOL

Seriously looking great there with those.

D

dlew308

nice pix!

Guy, when's the best time to visit Horseshoe Bend? It's on my list to visit someday....oh my long list....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have yet to go there but my bet to maybe get some snow in the distant mountains February or early spring. I would go when the sun is still low on the surface of the earth.

Don Libby

I’ve been to Page several different times of the year. The view faces towards the west and is low much like a slot canyon. I’ve been there early in the morning and the water and surrounding area was just too deep in shadow. Going the other way, late afternoon/sunset and the colors are in the way face that you can’t see because you’re standing on it. The best time (as far as I’m concerned) is between 930 and maybe 3 or 4 p.m. This shot was taken around 10 a.m.

Time of year? I’d like to see it during monsoon season with dark angry skies and lighting but have just been to busy to make the drive from Tucson to get it, maybe Guy can do it.

Guy – You really need to think hard about this lens. Yes it’s expensive but excellent tools normally are.

don

D

dlew308

very awesome
I'll have to see how far it is from los angeles....
I saw the pic of you hanging over to take the pic on LL's site....is it scary ???

bensonga

Hadn't been here in awhile thought I'd share a couple test shots I took on the Alaska trip.
Beautiful shots Don. Re photo of Tern Lake....I know that spot well....and that sky too....pretty much describes our whole summer up here this year. I think we've had about 4 sunny days thus far. :thumbdown:

Look forward to seeing some more of your photos from the trip up to the Last Frontier.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

woodyspedden

I’ve been to Page several different times of the year. The view faces towards the west and is low much like a slot canyon. I’ve been there early in the morning and the water and surrounding area was just too deep in shadow. Going the other way, late afternoon/sunset and the colors are in the way face that you can’t see because you’re standing on it. The best time (as far as I’m concerned) is between 930 and maybe 3 or 4 p.m. This shot was taken around 10 a.m.

Time of year? I’d like to see it during monsoon season with dark angry skies and lighting but have just been to busy to make the drive from Tucson to get it, maybe Guy can do it.

Guy – You really need to think hard about this lens. Yes it’s expensive but excellent tools normally are.

don
Hey Don

I too have been to Page a number of times. One of my favorites is November when the weather is still reasonable (remember you will likely be up and out around 5:30 - 6:00 to catch first rays. This is when the rim light on the far foothills is best. I agree that the water below can get blocked up so I have done some HDR renditions with decent success.

Hope you guys enjoy this one

Best

Woody

Oh by the way, this was shot with the M8 two days after i got it in November 2006. No IR filter on the 28 Cron Asph

woodyspedden

Whoops.........my bad.

This was shot with either the R15 using the Novoflex adapter for R to M or the little CV 15. I just don't remember for sure. My best guess is the CV 15

Sorry

Woody