The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

copal vs. electronic shutter

danlindberg

I need some clarification on the matter of shutters.

A standard Copal mechanical shutter goes from 1s to 1/400. I frequently expose in the 2 to 4 seconds frame so I guess I would have to use B and time it myself?

The Schneider electronic shutter goes down to 30 seconds but the fastest shutter speed is 1/60. Is this really true? So, you must control the light with lots of ND filters or how do you work in practise with such a slow (top) shutter speed?

The Rollei electronic states long exposeres and reasonable 1/500 too. This would be ok with me. But here I see many Schneiders not being offered with the Rollei.

What is your take on this? What's to prefer?

I also suppose that you must connect the lens to the back via the flash sync, atleast with the mechanical Copals, so where do you then connect the flash cable when in the studio?

SergeiR

I need some clarification on the matter of shutters.
A standard Copal mechanical shutter goes from 1s to 1/400. I frequently expose in the 2 to 4 seconds frame so I guess I would have to use B and time it myself?
latest compurs do 1/500 , but yes - once you past 1s - you on your own for long exposures. B and iPhone ;)

But here I see many Schneiders not being offered with the Rollei.
You can always mix and match, if you ok with remounting lenses.
As long as thickness is same you ok. Just have to hunt shutters down.. Or buy new ones.

I also suppose that you must connect the lens to the back via the flash sync, atleast with the mechanical Copals, so where do you then connect the flash cable when in the studio?
[/QUOTE]

You connect lens sync to back and back got its own sync outlet for flash.
Got to remember to switch shutter from M to X, if there is such switch. And may want to buy at least one bi-post to regular pc syc adapter, if plan to deal with old american made shutters like ACME (which are, by the way are GREAT)

Last edited:

danlindberg

Thanks for your reply :)

How do you handle the slow shutterspeed of 1/60 in normal/bright light? Are you using ND filters?

SergeiR

How do you handle the slow shutterspeed of 1/60 in normal/bright light? Are you using ND filters?
hm? Why would it be a problem? Most of mechanical shutters do full stops all the way from 1s to about 1/200-1/500 quite fine nowdays. Few old huge ones do have 1/60 top , but you do have iso control (drop it down to iso 25-50 and you golden with f32-f16 even on 1/60) and aprerture control.

250$ will buy you new Compur shutter in size 0 or 1 , that you can sync with flash and go wild. Many places do sell them...

Reminds me - i need to send emails to folks at lens2shutter , so i can start mounting process for couple of old brass lenses i have.

Last edited:

danlindberg

I am going to go for copal shutters. I suppose timing a few seconds yourself with B is just a question of getting used to. And with 1/500 shutter speed I am absolutely fine.
The bonus is one less gadget (electronic controller), one less cable and one less battery to charge.

Thanks again fo ryour input :)

dick

The Sinar eShutters should be available now, and they do 1/250th.

It helps to have a camera with low base ISO.

¿Anybody using Sinar eShutters?

yaya

Very few people use electronic shutters outside the studio as they require additional cables, batteries and controllers.
In the studio, the plus is being able to control them from the computer and have small aperture/ shutter speed adjustment increments (in Rollei's case 1/10th stop increments)

re Sinar/ Rodenstock e-Shutters AFAIK they are not shipping yet. Last I've heard was end of May for 1st demo batch

Yair

narikin

what is ridiculous is that there are perfectly accurate & fully developed & auto cocking & reliable & very quiet, electronic shutters, as built into wonderful lenses like the Mamiya 7 ones, but... they are not available for MF users.

If only we could get those on the Schneider or Rodenstock lenses, it would make MF digital life a lot easier. Phase - don't you own Mamiya?

dick

Very few people use electronic shutters outside the studio as they require additional cables, batteries and controllers.
In the studio, the plus is being able to control them from the computer and have small aperture/ shutter speed adjustment increments (in Rollei's case 1/10th stop increments)

re Sinar/ Rodenstock e-Shutters AFAIK they are not shipping yet. Last I've heard was end of May for 1st demo batch

Yair
Problem, problems...

I would really like to avoid having to buy 2 sets of lenses, or change shutters regularly, but I will need or appreciate electronic shutters for many applications:

Multi-flash for layering with hand-held flashes and remote camera and flash operation for architecture etc. where I need movements.

10m tripod

Shutter-beam