The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase P25 or P25+?

RayM

Yesterday I found on ebay that the recent sales of the P25 have been at prices around 25-30% less than a new P21+ that I was seriously planning on buying. This, of course, has gotten my attention. Refurb P25 units, as recently posted by Lance, are a few thousand dollars less than the newer plus models.

Now, having moved myself to the real possibility of changing my mind toward the purchase of the P25 or P25+ rather than the P21+, the question is whether the newer generation P25+ offers enough "improvement" in capture performance or output over the non-plus model to justify purchasing it instead of the P25. Yes, a warranty is important, and I will give this lots of consideration, but I'm wondering if the P25+ model is that much of an improvement to justify it instead of the non-plus model. Any thoughts? Thanks.

D

dlew308

Good question, all these model #'s are starting to confuse me. no plus, + , etc :)

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Probably the best person to answer this question would be Guy. He had the opportunity to use the P25 and now owns and uses the P25+.

The P21/+ is an excellent system, but if you want a fuller-frame you can't beat the P25/+ .

Remember you can always step up to a plus via an upgrade after you have had an opportunity to use the system.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Toll Free: 877-217-9870
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well there both really nice the P25 and the Plus. The Plus gives you some advantages over the non -plus . For all the backs the LCD is better on the plus It is brighter and has sharper reviews also. The files look great but Phase has worked on some things to improve the plus series. Here is what Phase says from Lance

Screen the non-plus is reflective LCD (better outdoors) and the plus backlight LCD @ about 2x the resolution approx 240,000 pixels.
-ISO non plus 50-400 (on P20,P21,P25,P45) and 100-800 (p30) vs 50-800 (on P20+,P21+,P25+,P45+) and 100-1600 (P30+)
-longer exposures on the plus series
-unlimited burst lengths tethered or untethered.
-Live preview standard on all Plus series, most refurbs come with it except P25's .
-Plus series has OptiColor+,Dynamic+, and Xpose+ which all mean improvements in image quality.

Now the biggies are the LCD and the ISO improvements . I get pretty clean ISO 800's and you will see a ton of them next week from the runway. The non Plus is good at ISO 400 and slower for the P25 and if you don't need the higher stop than a really good deal . For landscape and outdoor shooters the plus is not going to really buy you that much . Better LCD but you will still run for shade to see the LCD anyway. I used the P25 for about 3 days in San Juan along with the P30 plus and honestly you could not tell much of a difference. I think the P25 is a nice stepping stone into the MF world. i started with the ZD and although good I should have just went for it with Phase instead. Now the P25 does do a pretty darn clean ISO 400 and that maybe all someone truly needs. Now I just looked at the price of the P25 refrub. with new body and lens for 13k that is a steal. The body and lens on the street when Mamiya brings it out will be over 4k alone. BTW for the P21 plus new with body and lens there is a Phase promotion of 9900 euros which is more like 12k or something like that but the P21 is a crop sensor like the P30 Plus and 18 mpx. A lot of this depends on what you plan to shoot also.

To me I tried the P25, P30 plus and the P45 plus. I liked them all but I went for the universal performer and cost savings from the P45 and got the p25 plus and there is something about the 9 micron sensors i really like and that has to do with the artist side, just has a nice look to it. Now you have to decide between the P25 and p25 plus than you have to see if the 6 to 8 k difference is worth it to you from a refrub. to a new setup of the P25 plus because trying to find a used p25 plus is a little tough to do. I figured I would go the Plus because i actually plan to hold on to this for a little while. I know very strange words coming out of my mouth but the is not a world of difference between them but a big step up the ladder from 35mm.

S

Samuel Axelsson

Guy, just a little correction: the P20's ISO is 50-800, the P21 100-800. Both non plus.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yup my bad sorry folks.

The P21 shoots at 16 megapixels, with a 12-stop range and ISO 100 to 800. It captures up to 60 images per minute (two frames per second for 35mm-like performance). The P21 can write data up to 20 mb per second to internal media.

EH21

another minor correction p20 non plus goes 50-800... at iso 800 it does not bin pixels like the p25 (either that or I don't know how to make it do it).

S

Samuel Axelsson

That's correct, P21 is 18 Mpx. ISO 100-800 (very clean by the way)
P20 is 16 Mpx with ISO 50-800.

I've had both. The P21 is cleaner at 400-800, but I almost never used those anyway. On the contrary, the P20 looks much more like film.
I'll post a copuple of examples later today...

/Samuel

S

Samuel Axelsson

Hi again, here's a couple of ISO 800 crops. Just a bit of NR in C1. I did this a bit fast so it colud be better with a little more time...

P20:

P21:

/Samuel