The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo ultima and P25+ H-mount: what do I need to make it work?

AKElstudio

Ok, I've got my first MFDB, P25+ H-mount and going to use it in studio (jewelry/product and hi-speed splash action shots with strobe lighting) with Cambo Ultima D 4x5 camera.

Being new to MF world, I have some basic questions which I hope to get cleared with your help:) :

1. What do I need to be able to mount P25+ on 4x5 cambo?
As i understand, it should be an adapter plate (for hasselblad?), bu can't find anything except sliding backs, which I do not need, as I'll be shooting tethered and use live view to get focus in.

2. What shutter is the best for a studio use? Copal/compur is cheap and will give me up to 1/500 max, but schneider electronic ones (i like the idea of remote shooting) has only 1/60 max.. Sounds scary, as modeling lights may become an issue with such long exposure at small aperture.
Would be cool if anyone who use electronic shutter in studio (jewelry/product and hi-speed splash action shots) can tell me about experience.

3. Is there are any lens like schneider or rodenstock digital can have "jumping" aperture? (It is probably shutter-based, not a lens, but anyway) Talking about the way it works in 35mm/MF lenses, when aperture gets to set position only for fraction of a second to make a shot and staying wide open all the time in between.

Anything else I've missed?:)

Thank you in advance!

Alex Koloskov

Last edited:

Digitalcameraman

Alex:

1. You really want a P1 Flex adapter for that unit. It is the best built and I think well designed for stitching. Kapture Group also make a sliding adapter that works too. I have a lot of experience with both. The P1 Flex will stitch using Capture One software. When you buy a sliding back adapter you will want to make sure that you get it supplied with a H adapter for P1 backs. This insures that you will get parfocal results, where you focus on is what you will capture. Use the Focus mask in Capture One and see instantly where the focus is on the capture. I love the focus masks now I know how to use it properly. I think you need a flex adapter because just having the camera mounted required that use live focus exclusively and I think if you have any view camera experience, you will want to rough in the composition and rough focus, then use Live to fine tune this.

2. Copal Shutter work well with Kapture Group One Shot, my favorite way to use a P1 back. I have used both Schneider and Rollei shutters which will do the auto aperture, when you open is allows you to focus, close and get ready to shoot. Kapture Group also has an arm they put on their adapter that allows the lens to open as the back moves back over. Now you must use self cocking shutter for this method if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager, Florida
Capture Integration
http://www.captureintegration.com

2010 Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Mamiya, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
305.350.9900 Miami
877.217.9870 National
813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Ok, I've got my first MFDB, P25+ H-mount and going to use it in studio (jewelry/product and hi-speed splash action shots with strobe lighting) with Cambo Ultima D 4x5 camera.

Being new to MF world, I have some basic questions which I hope to get cleared with your help:) :

1. What do I need to be able to mount P25+ on 4x5 cambo?
As i understand, it should be an adapter plate (for hasselblad?), bu can't find anything except sliding backs, which I do not need, as I'll be shooting tethered and use live view to get focus in.

2. What shutter is the best for a studio use? Copal/compur is cheap and will give me up to 1/500 max, but schneider electronic ones (i like the idea of remote shooting) has only 1/60 max.. Sounds scary, as modeling lights may become an issue with such long exposure at small aperture.
Would be cool if anyone who use electronic shutter in studio (jewelry/product and hi-speed splash action shots) can tell me about experience.

3. Is there are any lens like schneider or rodenstock digital can have "jumping" aperture? (It is probably shutter-based, not a lens, but anyway) Talking about the way it works in 35mm/MF lenses, when aperture gets to set position only for fraction of a second to make a shot and staying wide open all the time in between.

Anything else I've missed?:)

Thank you in advance!

Alex Koloskov

AKElstudio

Chris,
Thank you for the explanation.
I think I'll go with Kapture Group live view and one shot at this time. Do you have Kapture Group Live Video adapter for cambo for sale?
Alex