The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

80 Megapixels on Alpa etc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
All of the above. I'm still battling between my ears on what I want or should I say I know what i want its my wallet that keeps getting dragged behind me. LOL

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think we need a get to know your IQ workshop
IQ Buyers Anonymous?

Hello, my name is Graham and I'm an IQ buyer:

"It was only a small step up to the IQ160 from the IQ140, and then I looked at the numbers and realized that for just a few thousand more that I could get the IQ180 and so ... But then I had to reassess my lens setup and cameras so that I could get the best from the IQxxx and suddenly I'd spent some real money, was living in the dog kennel, suffering from baseball bat therapy from the ex-wife and now all my CF cards were too small, my laptop couldn't take it and I was calling that Steve fella over at Apple to see if he could hurry up and get that octo-core MBP with 64GB ram and dual 1TB SSDs released. One minute I was reading a thread on GetDPI, happy with my outfit and then suddenly here I am at IQBA!"

:D

Btw, check me in too. ;) hopefully my meager IQ140 doesn't turn up before my Alpa depleted wallet has recovered enough!!

Guy Mancuso

Banff, Guy? Weather is tolerable this time of year... I'll even help round up attendees. Perhaps you could use the bread to help with your inevitable Rm2d/IQ180 decision :)
Heck I'm feeling like a ping pong ball right now its the 140 VS 160. :deadhorse:

Banff sounds good right about now too.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Congrats Bryan .

You are the only TWIN 80MP BACK photographer (owner) I know .:)
That calls for a twin STC . Hope your images don't turn out as twins .
At least you should take care of a 100% perfect match then .

goesbang

Heck I'm feeling like a ping pong ball right now its the 140 VS 160. :deadhorse:

Banff sounds good right about now too.
Guy,I don't know what your dayrate is, but I always measure the difference in price in terms of how many additional billable days it is ie. IQ140 to IQ 160 is about 2 days fees.
So, the question becomes, "Over the expected service life of this back, 3 years or so, can I manage to find just 2 additional billable days".
The answer is usually, "Hell yes!"

Yes, I know, just call me "enabler".......[evil grin to camera]

goesbang

Congrats Bryan .

You are the only TWIN 80MP BACK photographer (owner) I know .:)
That calls for a twin STC . Hope your images don't turn out as twins .
At least you should take care of a 100% perfect match then .
160 megapixel stereo images perhaps?

Guy Mancuso

Guy,I don't know what your dayrate is, but I always measure the difference in price in terms of how many additional billable days it is ie. IQ140 to IQ 160 is about 2 days fees.
So, the question becomes, "Over the expected service life of this back, 3 years or so, can I manage to find just 2 additional billable days".
The answer is usually, "Hell yes!"

Yes, I know, just call me "enabler".......[evil grin to camera]
Your dangerous. LOL

I'm most likely going the 160 and change my order. Couple of concerns I had that I have not mentioned was speed of cam and my worry is maintaining a fast cam. The P40+ today is pretty dang fast and faster than the 60 and new 180. For me the 180 is to slow and not just the cam itself but the files and pushing them fast on a MBP which i use exclusively because i travel a lot and need the speed when I do for certain jobs. Plus i use sensor plus a lot and having 10 mpx has been great 15 mpx would be better. So i have to maintain speed and file.

The biggest hurdle here is the initial outlay. The lateral from the 40 to 140 is really nothing money wise. Its the jump from 40 to 160 that is a big nut to do compared to the lateral. Its also timing for me, last year was really rough with my wife's health financially so family money wise been tough but I think I can pull the 160 off since really for me that is the balance point back that WILL give me three years service. Besides that i really want FF now. My lenses are setup perfect for it. Plus the new 240mm is perfect lens on FF with a 110mm below it.

I know and i advice many people on these purchases that sometimes its i don't care i want it all and sometimes it is how can i squeak in the door. For myself it is tough because I deal with this everyday helping others and i see all sides of the coin.

gazwas

I know and i advice many people on these purchases that sometimes its i don't care i want it all and sometimes it is how can i squeak in the door. For myself it is tough because I deal with this everyday helping others and i see all sides of the coin.
Tough decision Guy and not an easy one to make. You buy the 140 and will alway have that niggle in the back of your mind that you should have gone 160. You get the 160 and you'd probably think I wish I could have afforded the 180. :deadhorse:

Many people are saying its only money but putting things into perspective, especially considering your wife had heath issues last year you could say, "its only a camera".

Guy Mancuso

Exactly Gareth and its not like I NEED to upgrade either. The P40 is a awesome back. Just recommended to 2 people looking to go used.

The key here is we are in MF land . Case closed they all are good

Guy Mancuso

Ditto Ditto and Ditto! :ROTFL:

Just heard my IQ80 has shipped. I have no idea where the money for that thing is coming from. My wife just told me to order it - of course I obliged.

:)
Yes i heard they are shipping. My wife sort of blessed my choice with a good warning. :D

Money, the office is getting ripped apart today. HUGE GARAGE sale.

I need to ban myself from this place. This is hell

yaya

Yaya - that was interesting. With all the angst on the 43, I'm surprised he can shift at all with the 28.....although he really mentions only small shifts.

Hi Terry, I was there playing the lazy assistant, manning the Mac, checking focus and processing the files.

You are right, not much shift with the 28mm but then again it is so wide you don't need much shift...

PS I'm the (other) bald guy in the clip

Guy Mancuso

More rise and fall doing interiors when working with such a wide lens like that a 28mm on a Full Frame sensor is really wide like a 17mm in 35mm world. So stitching may not be necessary at least full shifts. Thats a wide world and its fun shooting wide.

Terry

Yeah,
28mm is really wide I only mentioned the shifts because it was mentioned in the piece and I was actually surprised he was able to shift at all. There is hope for the 43mm