Site Sponsors

Thread: 80 Megapixels on Alpa etc

Post Thanks / Like

80 Megapixels on Alpa etc

Today, I came home to find Mrs.Siebel at the dining table unpacking the Phase One IQ180 she'd bought me.
    Did I mention I LOVE that woman?!!!!!!
    So, once I've had the time to get used to it, I will be keen to see how it stacks up against my Aptus 12.
    I am really keen to see if all the anticipated benefits of the IQ interface for users of tech cams are what I have hoped they will be. As I shoot over 90% of my work on an ALPA STC, I guess I'll know soon enough.
    I'm pretty keen to hear how others are finding it impacts their workflow and camera handling. For starters, I suspect my days of shooting tethered may be over........

Happy Days!
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 80 Megapixels on Alpa etc

Bryan,

Congrats! Any chance we can hear from you how these backs compare in other ways as well please; image quality?

Thank you.

Regards
    Anders

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great news!
    Happy You!

Post Thanks / Like

Does Mrs Siebel have a sister?

Post Thanks / Like

Merry Christmas, Bryan! Was great to meet you and the Mrs today

Post Thanks / Like

It would be great to hear how you are verifying focus - how well does the mask work and are you able to check focus with a loupe.....

Hopefully my 180 will be here soon...

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    It would be great to hear how you are verifying focus - how well does the mask work and are you able to check focus with a loupe.....

Hopefully my 180 will be here soon...

Victor
    Loupe? Two taps on the screen and you are looking at the image at 400%.
    I do not use a groundglass on the ALPA.
    Mostly I measure the distance with my eye-o-meter (thankfully, mine is pretty well calibrated) and set this on the ALPA HPF rings. Mostly I've been pretty close in the past but now I can zap to 400% and know for sure. I sure could have used this function when I was shooting a close up (at f5.6) of an icicle on the edge of lake Zug last winter.
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Great news!
    Happy You!
    Yes, indeed - Happy Bryan!
    You've got one on the way too, right? BTW, which lenses did you end up getting for your kit?

My P65+ is looking for a new home.......
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

Siebel,

I didn't mean using a loupe on ground glass.... I should have been more specific. I have found that using a MF loupe (Schneider, or Hoodman) on my 5DII to be much easier than simply magnifying the image on the LCD. My eyes aren't as great as they used to be so this is a preferable and fast way to check for focus. It should work really well on the 180. I'll know soon enough.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Siebel,

I didn't mean using a loupe on ground glass.... I should have been more specific. I have found that using a MF loupe (Schneider, or Hoodman) on my 5DII to be much easier than simply magnifying the image on the LCD. My eyes aren't as great as they used to be so this is a preferable and fast way to check for focus. It should work really well on the 180. I'll know soon enough.

Victor
    Once you've seen the screen on an IQ back, you'll never want to look at a DSLR screen again. I'm guessing Canon and Nikon will soon have retina type screens too.
    The process of tapping the screen twice to zoom in is so fast it's a real workflow boon.
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    Yes, indeed - Happy Bryan!
    You've got one on the way too, right? BTW, which lenses did you end up getting for your kit?

My P65+ is looking for a new home.......
    I ordered the Schneider 43mm after I was assured the banding issues were solved and that lens would be OK. I have a 90mm Schneider and thought I would use that a bit before moving to the 72mm. I canceled my order for the new Schneider 60mm.

I have an Alpa TC with a 24mm lens. Popped off one shot with Jack's back. That lens needs a new home for someone with a crop sensor back. I do like the TC for a tiny solution. If you are changing around your lenses and have something in Alpa mount that you are going to sell, please PM me.

I'm not sure when the first backs are going to make their way to US customers.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Today, I came home to find Mrs.Siebel at the dining table unpacking the Phase One IQ180 she'd bought me.
    So, once I've had the time to get used to it, I will be keen to see how it stacks up against my Aptus 12.
    I am really keen to see if all the anticipated benefits of the IQ interface for users of tech cams are what I have hoped they will be. As I shoot over 90% of my work on an ALPA STC, I guess I'll know soon enough.
    I'm pretty keen to hear how others are finding it impacts their workflow and camera handling. For starters, I suspect my days of shooting tethered may be over........

Happy Days!
    Awesome news.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Once you've seen the screen on an IQ back, you'll never want to look at a DSLR screen again. I'm guessing Canon and Nikon will soon have retina type screens too.
    The process of tapping the screen twice to zoom in is so fast it's a real workflow boon.
    Great to hear stuff like this. I also intend to expand my Alpa system. I have the 35XL but that's as wide as I'll ever need.... I'm really not a wide angle fan. 100mm, 150mm and maybe the 72 are on my list.

Thanks for the info.......

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Bryan
    I think that if I took pictures as good as yours Mrs. Slack would do the same!

Congratulations - well deserved and I'm sure you'll make the most of it.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

100mm, 150mm and maybe the 72 are on my list.
    Another to add to the list IMO is the SK 120mm. Mine arrived last week and is a beauty. Tiny lens but with a really large image circle with virtually no illumination fall off and colour shift to worry about when using large movements. At f8 is amazingly sharp and with a focal length in 35mm equivalent to 77mm is a really nice short tele.

Highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Another to add to the list IMO is the SK 120mm. Mine arrived last week and is a beauty. Tiny lens but with a really large image circle with virtually no illumination fall off and colour shift to worry about when using large movements. At f8 is amazingly sharp and with a focal length in 35mm equivalent to 77mm is a really nice short tele.

Highly recommended.
    I agree with you..... The 120 is a great lens. I had, for about a week, the 72 and the 120 in my arsenal and found that I missed the focal length of the 150. The 100 makes more sense as a companion for the 150 and then its just what to do on the normal to slightly wide end.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the SK 43XL and 120N at the moment but I'm very tempted by the RS 90HRW as a normal lens. Sharp and a super large 125mm IC with very little fall off (1 stop max even at f5.6) looking at the data on their website.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Bryan,
    I'm waiting patiently for an IQ180 for my STC, 43xl, 100HR and now a 150 SK that just arrived last week. I'm fascinated to see how everyone revamps their shooting procedure as a result of the IQ features. For focus I'm thinking of using the "offset technique" much like orienteering: Measure distance, then purposefully focus a tiny bit short. double-tap, dial up, double-tap, dial up... until it gets sharp then begins to go soft again. Maybe in composition mode?!

Can't wait to stop conjecture and start doing and learning! I said I was waiting patiently, right?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we need a get to know your IQ workshop
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Getting to know your IQ for buying an IQ or learning how to use your IQ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All of the above. I'm still battling between my ears on what I want or should I say I know what i want its my wallet that keeps getting dragged behind me. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Banff, Guy? Weather is tolerable this time of year... I'll even help round up attendees. Perhaps you could use the bread to help with your inevitable Rm2d/IQ180 decision

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IQ Buyers Anonymous?

Hello, my name is Graham and I'm an IQ buyer:

"It was only a small step up to the IQ160 from the IQ140, and then I looked at the numbers and realized that for just a few thousand more that I could get the IQ180 and so ... But then I had to reassess my lens setup and cameras so that I could get the best from the IQxxx and suddenly I'd spent some real money, was living in the dog kennel, suffering from baseball bat therapy from the ex-wife and now all my CF cards were too small, my laptop couldn't take it and I was calling that Steve fella over at Apple to see if he could hurry up and get that octo-core MBP with 64GB ram and dual 1TB SSDs released. One minute I was reading a thread on GetDPI, happy with my outfit and then suddenly here I am at IQBA!"

Btw, check me in too. hopefully my meager IQ140 doesn't turn up before my Alpa depleted wallet has recovered enough!!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ROTFLMAO. Now that was funny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Duffin View Post
    Banff, Guy? Weather is tolerable this time of year... I'll even help round up attendees. Perhaps you could use the bread to help with your inevitable Rm2d/IQ180 decision
    Heck I'm feeling like a ping pong ball right now its the 140 VS 160.

Banff sounds good right about now too.

Post Thanks / Like

congrats, siebel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Bryan .

You are the only TWIN 80MP BACK photographer (owner) I know .
    That calls for a twin STC . Hope your images don't turn out as twins .
    At least you should take care of a 100% perfect match then .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Heck I'm feeling like a ping pong ball right now its the 140 VS 160.

Banff sounds good right about now too.
    Guy,I don't know what your dayrate is, but I always measure the difference in price in terms of how many additional billable days it is ie. IQ140 to IQ 160 is about 2 days fees.
    So, the question becomes, "Over the expected service life of this back, 3 years or so, can I manage to find just 2 additional billable days".
    The answer is usually, "Hell yes!"

Yes, I know, just call me "enabler".......[evil grin to camera]
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Congrats Bryan .

You are the only TWIN 80MP BACK photographer (owner) I know .
    That calls for a twin STC . Hope your images don't turn out as twins .
    At least you should take care of a 100% perfect match then .
    160 megapixel stereo images perhaps?
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,I don't know what your dayrate is, but I always measure the difference in price in terms of how many additional billable days it is ie. IQ140 to IQ 160 is about 2 days fees.
    So, the question becomes, "Over the expected service life of this back, 3 years or so, can I manage to find just 2 additional billable days".
    The answer is usually, "Hell yes!"

Yes, I know, just call me "enabler".......[evil grin to camera]
    Your dangerous. LOL

I'm most likely going the 160 and change my order. Couple of concerns I had that I have not mentioned was speed of cam and my worry is maintaining a fast cam. The P40+ today is pretty dang fast and faster than the 60 and new 180. For me the 180 is to slow and not just the cam itself but the files and pushing them fast on a MBP which i use exclusively because i travel a lot and need the speed when I do for certain jobs. Plus i use sensor plus a lot and having 10 mpx has been great 15 mpx would be better. So i have to maintain speed and file.

The biggest hurdle here is the initial outlay. The lateral from the 40 to 140 is really nothing money wise. Its the jump from 40 to 160 that is a big nut to do compared to the lateral. Its also timing for me, last year was really rough with my wife's health financially so family money wise been tough but I think I can pull the 160 off since really for me that is the balance point back that WILL give me three years service. Besides that i really want FF now. My lenses are setup perfect for it. Plus the new 240mm is perfect lens on FF with a 110mm below it.

I know and i advice many people on these purchases that sometimes its i don't care i want it all and sometimes it is how can i squeak in the door. For myself it is tough because I deal with this everyday helping others and i see all sides of the coin.

Post Thanks / Like

I know and i advice many people on these purchases that sometimes its i don't care i want it all and sometimes it is how can i squeak in the door. For myself it is tough because I deal with this everyday helping others and i see all sides of the coin.
    Tough decision Guy and not an easy one to make. You buy the 140 and will alway have that niggle in the back of your mind that you should have gone 160. You get the 160 and you'd probably think I wish I could have afforded the 180.

Many people are saying its only money but putting things into perspective, especially considering your wife had heath issues last year you could say, "its only a camera".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly Gareth and its not like I NEED to upgrade either. The P40 is a awesome back. Just recommended to 2 people looking to go used.

The key here is we are in MF land . Case closed they all are good

Post Thanks / Like

ROTFLMAO. Now that was funny.
    Ditto Ditto and Ditto!

Just heard my IQ80 has shipped. I have no idea where the money for that thing is coming from. My wife just told me to order it - of course I obliged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Ditto Ditto and Ditto!

Just heard my IQ80 has shipped. I have no idea where the money for that thing is coming from. My wife just told me to order it - of course I obliged.

Yes i heard they are shipping. My wife sort of blessed my choice with a good warning.

Money, the office is getting ripped apart today. HUGE GARAGE sale.

I need to ban myself from this place. This is hell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last edited by yaya; 25th May 2011 at 05:37.
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would really like to test the Aptus 12 sometime soon. Like to see the new interface and such

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Yaya - that was interesting. With all the angst on the 43, I'm surprised he can shift at all with the 28.....although he really mentions only small shifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Yaya - that was interesting. With all the angst on the 43, I'm surprised he can shift at all with the 28.....although he really mentions only small shifts.

Hi Terry, I was there playing the lazy assistant, manning the Mac, checking focus and processing the files.

You are right, not much shift with the 28mm but then again it is so wide you don't need much shift...

PS I'm the (other) bald guy in the clip
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More rise and fall doing interiors when working with such a wide lens like that a 28mm on a Full Frame sensor is really wide like a 17mm in 35mm world. So stitching may not be necessary at least full shifts. Thats a wide world and its fun shooting wide.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah,
    28mm is really wide I only mentioned the shifts because it was mentioned in the piece and I was actually surprised he was able to shift at all. There is hope for the 43mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm just happy with my Rodenstock 32, which hasn't a problem with 10-15mm shift.

Post Thanks / Like

IQ140 to IQ 160 is about 2 days fees.
    Wow, that difference = $15k = 2 days fees! Maybe I should give up drug dealing and get into photography?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No i'm getting into drug dealing. LOL