The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus-II 12 in studio IQ tests

AKElstudio

Hope this will be interesting for the community:

Last week I have a chance to play with top of the Leaf’s line of digital backs, Leaf Aptus-II 12, 80-megapixel digital back mounted on Phase One 645DF camera. Many thanks to Steve Hendrix from Capture Integration for bringing all this beauty to the studio.

As usual, I it was interesting for me to see how camera + back will be performing in a studio, in the controlled light condition. I shoot particularly product, jewelry and food, and ability to recover shadows and highlights is very important to me, along with resolution and IQ (image quality).

Many times I am dealing with subjects contained high glossy pieces and dark areas where it is hard to direct the light. Therefore, a high dynamic range does really help in post-production.

The sensor:

test composition:

100% crops from the above:

Highlights very well handled:

Just for a reference, Hasselblad H4D-50 with 120mm Macro, the same subject:

The rest of the results (shadow and highlight recovery in particular) is on the blog:
http://www.akelstudio.com/blog/leaf...-back-review-it-is-not-only-pixels-that-count

I do not want to spoil mouse over functionality by re-posting everything here. It is very cool to see the difference by hovering the image.

Alex

Last edited: