Site Sponsors

Thread: Finally read the P65+ book ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Finally read the P65+ book ...

While I'm still on the fence about my need to use Sensor+ there's just too many other goodies that are available for use on a tech camera.

I can use the rating to address the lack of identifying which lens I used. 1=35mm, 2=72mm and 3=120mm.

The Virtual Horizon will be good however not too certain on the need as the Cube sets the Cambo very level.

Being able to switch back and forth in the display style between Color and B&W. I can see using the B&W mode occasionally to get a better "read" on the image.

Then there's the Grid, 4-different options (5 including not showing one). I can see having the first, "Golden Ratio" permanently set.
    These are just 3-of the items I've found in reading through the book the first time.

And yeah, as much as I'd like to get that IQ180 other things such as "Real Life" have interfered. Bottom line is just as soon as I call Dave and pay for this it'll be on it's way to me. A gently used P65.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Googaliser

Re: Finally read the P65+ book ...

I'm just wondering - once the IQ180 starts to reach owners - which should be imminent (I really hope so !) - I'm wondering whether we will see another leg-down in used P65+ prices. Worth waiting for a little longer ?
    Purely rational question, mindful of the fact that buying MFD stuff is never a rational decision

Post Thanks / Like

I jumped in the deep end of the River Styx all at once; ordered an IQ180 without any trade-in. Phase provided me a P65 in the interim. So when I get the 180, my P65 will be returned to the local dealer with < 2000 images shot and a few months old. I think dealers have the option to flag backs that get returned if they have an imminent buyer for a particular back. I also think the "flagged" unit still goes back to Phase for cleaning/refurbishing. Point being if you are in the market for a P65, might be worth talking to a dealer about flagging one that went to someone like me. Should be a pretty good deal and in quite good shape.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Googaliser View Post
    I'm just wondering - once the IQ180 starts to reach owners - which should be imminent (I really hope so !) - I'm wondering whether we will see another leg-down in used P65+ prices. Worth waiting for a little longer ?
    Purely rational question, mindful of the fact that buying MFD stuff is never a rational decision

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Googaliser View Post
    Well this is a good opportunity for many P30+/P40+/P45+ owners to actually make a jump in backs at pretty good deals already. So I doubt we will see a let down on these trade in backs soon. Maybe down the road but some of these backs will make it into rentals and education purposes also.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    While I'm still on the fence about my need to use Sensor+ there's just too many other goodies that are available for use on a tech camera.

I can use the rating to address the lack of identifying which lens I used. 1=35mm, 2=72mm and 3=120mm.
    Actually, I'm thinking that Phase could address this lack of EXIF lens ID in firmware as does the M9, which allows choosing an uncoded lens by menu selection. That'd be useful!

Post Thanks / Like

The Virtual Horizon will be good however not too certain on the need as the Cube sets the Cambo very level.

Use the Virtual Horizon feature in conjunction with the Cube. That's what makes leveling so much easier.

ken

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Use the Virtual Horizon feature in conjunction with the Cube. That's what makes leveling so much easier.

ken
    I use this extensively on the P40+. I just wish that there was a custom button shortcut to it vs navigating the menus.

The P65+ backs hitting dealers at IQ140 prices are terribly tempting right now ...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I use this extensively on the P40+. I just wish that there was a custom button shortcut to it vs navigating the menus.
    Graham,

Just to clarify in case you missed it, the IQ backs do have that shortcut button for the VH. Moreover, the resolution of VH seems finer on the IQ180 than it was on my P65+ and includes pitch as well as roll. What I don't know is if the VH resolution in the IQ140/160's is the same resolution as in the P40+/65+ or like the IQ180's. I'll try and find this out.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post

ken
    Dont need the stinking cube now. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I can see how this will help in addition to the Cube.

The major thing that kept me from going to the P65 was me thinking that was technology while great to have wasn't going to be used as much in my application such as the Sensor+. This is not to say I'd never use Sensor+ just saying that right now I can't see it. Put me in a dark Cliff Dwelling or Slot Canyon and maybe I'll change my tune.

I actually see me maybe using Sensor+ much more than live preview as I never shoot tethered.

I'll miss not having that sports bar size LCD of the IQ but know in time I'll get one - besides I can always use Kens.

Bottom line is that I never realized how well suited the P65 is for tech camera use.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Bite your tongue!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don,

This may help: Think of the Pxx+ tech compared to the IQ tech just like comparing a ballhead to the Cube.

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Don Libby;317708]....I'll miss not having that sports bar size LCD of the IQ but know in time I'll get one - besides I can always use Kens.

....QUOTE]

Bite your tongue!
    You bite your tongue! You'll have to catch me first!

Virtual Horizon just makes leveling so much easier---and Jack's right about the addition of pitch and roll on VH on the IQ series is going to make things better yet...even if you don't have the Cube (heresy)!

p.s. The CI West Carmel Annex just broke ground!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Don,

This may help: Think of the Pxx+ tech compared to the IQ tech just like comparing a ballhead to the Cube.

What's a ballhead????
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=kdphotography;317713]
    ....I'll miss not having that sports bar size LCD of the IQ but know in time I'll get one - besides I can always use Kens.

....QUOTE]

You bite your tongue! You'll have to catch me first!

Virtual Horizon just makes leveling so much easier---and Jack's right about the addition of pitch and roll on VH on the IQ series is going to make things better yet...even if you don't have the Cube (heresy)!

p.s. The CI West Carmel Annex just broke ground!
    Ken don't run just give up now so I won't have to chase you down.

Need photos of the annex!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Until you've had a Cube you'll never realize how much you needed a Cube (ok, wanted )

You just need one tripod with a ball head and a second tripod with a Cube - simple. All that automated leveling will just end up as automated cropping that's all.

What's a ballhead????
    Something you have before you buy a Cube and then lose all knowledge of afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Don, If you use full shift with your p65 and 35mm you'll have banding issues. Does the c1v6.2 LCC remove it? If not, it can be a major pain to clean up. Of course with the extra resolution you can take a step back and crop and not shift at all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Something you have before you buy a Cube and then lose all knowledge of afterwards.
    Too right! You're too stunned by the new hole in your wallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Too right! You're too stunned by the new hole in your wallet.
    After having been a Leica shooter for quite a while, and now an Alpa/Phase One & Leaf MF digital shooter again I'm never stunned by the hole in my wallet. It's a permanent fixture.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Don, If you use full shift with your p65 and 35mm you'll have banding issues. Does the c1v6.2 LCC remove it? If not, it can be a major pain to clean up. Of course with the extra resolution you can take a step back and crop and not shift at all!
    Ed, Thanks for the heads up - I think we need to talk as I'm interested in how you worked around this. Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ