The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone else see the article on a Samsung MF camera?

Double Negative

Not Available
I saw the photo, but not the story behind it. Mostly concept cameras I believe, unfortunately. But hey, another MF camera on the market - especially an affordable one - ain't so bad!

Analog6

I went and had a look at the Samsung Tomorrow website but it is all in Asian characters and if they have an English translation I couldn't find it. Very frustrating!

yaya

Looks like a pretty small MF camera to me...reminds me of that miniature Rollei from 2004...

Jeremy

Yes, this is an example of poor "me-too journalism"

the interview Engadget references is here (in English):

http://www.samsungimaging.net/2011/...-into-the-world-part-ii-the-nx-lens-planners/

Someone probably saw the square box who has seen a Hasselblad before and said MEDIUM FORMAT! and it stuck. There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that Samsung is making a medium format digital based on a non-photo blog's assumptions based on a captionless image for an interview they didn't take part in (and couldn't even be bothered to link to the English version of).

Here is the image in question:

The mirror-less body appears to be a concept camera similar in form to the nx100 so if that's the case then that is a really small body. I'd argue underwater camera or mirror-box camera with changeable prism modules/wlf before medium format.

Medium format is based on sensor size - and with a required sensor size you need matching optics and I wouldn't pay for a medium format silicon wafer and put that size lens mount in front of it. Maybe full frame 35mm or even multiformat square (or circle - that's what lenses project!) camera... but mf? Nope.

Anders_HK

Some observations;

1. White camera seem to indicate compact or 3/4 sized (hint; flash shoe, display size, buttons).

2. There are two black cameras same/similar to 1. The cube camera seem to be of same size, thus assumably similar format sensor.

3. Lens mount for all appears same in size.

4. One of cube cameras appear to give hint of a fold up/tilt display.

5. There is no possibility for attaching waist level finder.

Appears no MF cameras... perhaps more compact than a MF back?? :rolleyes:

Regards
Anders

cng

Another retro-styled proof-of-concept to stir up all the hipsters on the internet. And yes, compared to the other cameras in the image, that box is tiny. It's not MF.