Site Sponsors

Thread: IQ battery recommendation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IQ battery recommendation?

What battery do you recommend for camera-independent IQ backs (Hasselblad V, view camera, etc.)?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IQ battery recommendation?

I'm not sure what you mean. The Phase One IQ backs all have an internal battery chamber which houses a 7.2v video camera type battery. You can get these from any Phase One dealer.
    The IQ backs are, as Phase backs have pretty much always been, camera independent. It's part of the "open platform" thing.
    Cheers,
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase and Leaf backs are powered from their own battery power source, so need nothing else when attached to a tech cam. Newer Hassy backs are powered by the camera body, so require a special external power adapter when used on a tech cam.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    The Phase One IQ backs all have an internal battery chamber which houses a 7.2v video camera type battery. You can get these from any Phase One dealer.
    Googling "7.2v video camera battery" brings up a wide variety of shapes, sizes and milliampere-hour ratings.

If I'm at a location where I need a new battery to replace one that was misplaced, dead, etc., and a Phase One dealer is not nearby, but there are stores that carry consumer electronics and photo supplies... what should I look for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Phase and Leaf backs are powered from their own battery power source, so need nothing else when attached to a tech cam. Newer Hassy backs are powered by the camera body, so require a special external power adapter when used on a tech cam.
    This will be on a Hasselblad 503CW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    Hassy makes a CFV back for that, but I'm not 100% sure how it powers -- sorry.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Both Phase One and Leaf backs will fit on a 503CW without any extras that don't come with the back.
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

Googling "7.2v video camera battery" brings up a wide variety of shapes, sizes and milliampere-hour ratings.

If I'm at a location where I need a new battery to replace one that was misplaced, dead, etc., and a Phase One dealer is not nearby, but there are stores that carry consumer electronics and photo supplies... what should I look for?
    It is a canon video camera battery, not sure of the model number. There tough to find with 2600mha so get a few extra from your dealer before you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the Canon equivalent: Canon BP 915 (get as close to 2600 mAh) as possible.

Hope this helps.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    Here is the Canon equivalent: Canon BP 915 (get as close to 2600 mAh) as possible.
    Thanks Lance, that's very helpful. I couldn't find a BP 915 battery higher than 1500 mAh on-line. What battery comes with the IQ backs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,

The Hasselblad CFV uses a battery attached to the bottom of the back. The back uses a Sony battery, model NP-F570 (the smallest of three sizes). They are easily obtained on line, and I would presume at a well stocked electronic store. They include an adapter with the CFV back for the EL cameras since the camera blocks the battery compartment without it.

Just checked Best Buy. $65.99

Greg
    Last edited by BANKER1; 27th May 2011 at 11:37. Reason: New Information

Post Thanks / Like

Even if a Phase One dealer is nearby. Order ten e.g. here and you are fine.

Same with Firewire cables. My dealer wants 100 bucks. With a 25 % rebate still 75...

Bought them at Amazon for 6,75.

Best
    -Kai

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lance, that's very helpful. I couldn't find a BP 915 battery higher than 1500 mAh on-line. What battery comes with the IQ backs?

The one thing you need to be very careful about is the milliamp rating. 1500 will provide less battery life, less shots than a 2600 Milliamp battery.

Although we have tested some generic batteries and they do work, I found several issues at hand.

The tooling in some of the batteries I have bought fit the P1 backs, including IQ series but on many P backs, the battery was so loose in the mount, it would fall out and needed a piece of tape to hold it in.

I also never liked that the battery was light grey in color and everything else is black, that could be more personal.

And there is no question that I found the Phase One supplied batteries cannot be sourced as they must have them made for their spec. I spent a lot of time trying to find that and original OEM parts they supply and found very little ways to buy those myself in the US.

What it really comes down to is do not cut any corners on the sole power source for your IQ back or any other portable backs, that is the least expensive part of the equation.

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
    Sales Manager, Florida
    Capture Integration
    http://www.captureintegration.com

2010 Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Mamiya, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
    305.350.9900 Miami
    877.217.9870 National
    813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, gentlemen. All of the information you provided has been very helpful to me.