Site Sponsors

Thread: Thanks everyone - got my New Old P65

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone - got my New Old P65

This is my first post...

Just wanted to say a special thanks to Guy, and Dave at Capture Integration, who both helped me make a major move from my Nikon D3x to a new Phase One 645DF and P65+.

They were instrumental in my decision, as was this forum.

Anyway, I've got a new 645DF body, a refurbed P65+, 80mm kit lens, 45mm D, and 150mm D. I do Fine Art/Landscape work. There are some other focal length's I'd like to fill, and your comments and experiences with lenses have been very helpful.

So maybe I'm a generation behind due to the awesome IQ Series stuff currently being delivered. Incredible UI, and a definite game changer. I don't feel in anyway behind though. Funny how last week's top-of-the-line - couldn't be beat, is this weeks piece-of-crap. Not really huh? but it's easy to get sucked down that path. The reality of course is different. Right now buying the previous generation can be a fantastic entry point, especially when the back isn't tied to the body.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thanks everyone - got my New Old P65

Welcome to the party!
    (you picked a great dealer!)
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great first post and it was a pleasure to drag you into the inferno. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, as another former musician now turned a photographer hopelessly felt into MF Inferno (and for the moment being a fellow P65+ user too!), a big welcome to the club!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mesposito View Post
    This is my first post...

I do Fine Art/Landscape work.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help.
    If you want the most outta that P65+, you should take a look at a tech camera and digital lenses, IMO.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alan_w_george View Post
    If you want the most outta that P65+, you should take a look at a tech camera and digital lenses, IMO.
    Hee hee and so the relentless wallet emptying begins
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - a P65+ as your opening play? Impressive move. My P65+ is still my fave back, even though I now have an Aptus 12 and IQ180. No doubt this will change as I get used to the new backs but my point is that the P65+ is no slouch.
    Enjoy, and never let us gear sluts put you down because you "only" have a P65+!
    Cheers,
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great choice in backs -- and welcome to the pit!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Welcome to the party!
    (you picked a great dealer!)
    Thanks Don. Very true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Great first post and it was a pleasure to drag you into the inferno. LOL
    I very much appreciate your passion for this stuff. Now that I've got the systems and lenses I'm very happy with the fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I very much appreciate your passion for this stuff. Now that I've got the systems and lenses I'm very happy with the fit.
    Thanks Mark. I try really hard to figure ones needs that way no mistakes are made in the process.

Reality for me is I really like to help people and this for me is a form of teaching which is my secret passion.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    Mark, as another former musician now turned a photographer hopelessly felt into MF Inferno (and for the moment being a fellow P65+ user too!), a big welcome to the club!
    Vieri,

Thanks very much for the welcome. I'll never completely leave music (Jazz in my case) but you can only do so many things in your life. I have to say that my training and artistic bent to music has helped me more than I can say in Photography. Learning to see is very much like learning to hear. That's another topic though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alan,

Thanks. I assume you weren't joking. Since I'm no doubt out of dough, (or I would have bought Guy an IQ160 for his help) I'll pack away your advice for future reference. :^}

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Hee hee and so the relentless wallet emptying begins
    Graham,

The wallet she's empty! Actually, it got previously pretty emptied buying 35mm bodies and lenses, so at least that's a game I'm familiar with. Not that I'm winning the game, but I understand it. :^}

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    Wow - a P65+ as your opening play? Impressive move. My P65+ is still my fave back, even though I now have an Aptus 12 and IQ180. No doubt this will change as I get used to the new backs but my point is that the P65+ is no slouch.
    Enjoy, and never let us gear sluts put you down because you "only" have a P65+!
    Cheers,
    Thanks Siebel - actually I got a P65+ to start thanks to all of the IQ upgraders. That's not a put down. It's thanks! Otherwise I would have started at 40mp, and been less than happy with the crop when going superwide. I really think this is a unique time to move up.

One of the greatest aspects of buying the top is the fact that you lose all excuses. I love that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alan,

Thanks. I assume you weren't joking. Since I'm no doubt out of dough, (or I would have bought Guy an IQ160 for his help) I'll pack away your advice for future reference. :^}
    I would work with this for awhile and get it all under your belt with processing and really knowing your back than tackle a tech cam down the road. I have yet to still buy one and its not so much the money, its not exactly my style of shooting. No reason to slam yourself with everything at once, this takes a good month just to get synced up between you and the gear.

Hey i'm the worst i want it all but still you have to have patience and know your system well. I see this a lot of the workshops with folks struggling to get it under control. Take your time

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Great choice in backs -- and welcome to the pit!
    Thanks Jack. I appreciate the work you and Guy do here. Very informative, and beyond that, fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would work with this for awhile and get it all under your belt with processing and really knowing your back than tackle a tech cam down the road.
    Right, thanks. I always take it slow with changes to my workflow. I need to own it before I add new things.

Very interesting point that might surprise some folks. My bag is lighter than it was with 35mm. With Nikon their best newer glass tends to be zooms. (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) These things are heavy. Add to that a TS for pano's and you're carrying a lot of weight. Obviously I could do the same with MF for another 10k, but for now it's kind of nice to start over and see what focal lengths I really need, and how much I was really getting out of zooms. I did some analysis in Lightroom, so I have some idea.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of the greatest aspects of buying the top is the fact that you lose all excuses. I love that!
    That's so true and a great maxim to follow in many aspects of life.

Btw, I recommend browsing through the lessons learned about MF sticky thread here. http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18070. Coming from 35mm you'll almost certainly run into the depth of field differences with MF digital shooting - the biggest bugbear I know that I had to work through and adapt to when I moved over from shooting with my D3x.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting point that might surprise some folks. My bag is lighter than it was with 35mm.
    Same here, and I switched from a 5D II which is not a heavy camera. Obviously the focal length range has been reduced in the transition from 35mm to MF (in my case a tech camera) But regardless, if I compare the weight of what I used to carry vs what I carry now, the MF bag is lighter.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The p65 is a great back, congrats! Best transition is to shoot it a lot and test DOF for every scenario you can think of. Shooting a 60mp exposure will force you to become a better photographer.

Something I did that made a huge difference was quit using the viewfinder for a few outings. You'll be surprised what you learn.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is some disconcertingly discordant Jazz to listen whilst shooting with your 65+ to help balance out the feelings of image quality serenity the Dalsa beast will bring you.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

Vieri,

Thanks very much for the welcome. I'll never completely leave music (Jazz in my case) but you can only do so many things in your life. I have to say that my training and artistic bent to music has helped me more than I can say in Photography. Learning to see is very much like learning to hear. That's another topic though.
    Mark,

neither did I, not completely - I still do teach regularly and play occasionally. I agree with you that the research process is vastly similar, as is the gear-slutness... I meant, the search for that last eluding few % of extra quality that comes to a real steep price and with a real steep learning curve as well again welcome, and enjoy!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ed gives great advice here. The first thing I do whenever I pick up a new lens (or in the case of moving from the P45 to P65) is to take a day or two and shoot in my backyard before moving out to other "known" places. I found this helps me understand the capabilities of the system better. I've got a saguaro in the backyard that has been photographed so much it now poses for me if I even walk near it.

What I'm attempting to say is get to thoroughly know your equipment before attempting any serious work.

I found moving from 35mm to medium format "interesting". While not particularly difficult it was a transition of how I shot. The great this is that you've kept with a DSLR format so the transition will be much easier.

While I've only had my "new old P65" for a week now I know it's a real winner.

Again congratulations. You're wallet will never be full again...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    Mark,

neither did I, not completely - I still do teach regularly and play occasionally. I agree with you that the research process is vastly similar, as is the gear-slutness... I meant, the search for that last eluding few % of extra quality that comes to a real steep price and with a real steep learning curve as well again welcome, and enjoy!
    Okay i want you two to give us a GetDPI song. Special version of Dante's Inferno

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Okay i want you two to give us a GetDPI song. Special version of Dante's Inferno
    Why am I hearing Johnny Cash in the background?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was thinking more like Brittany's "Oops, I did it again!" Maybe what we need is a medley that starts with Brittany and ends with Johnny.

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Mark let's get to work! I am more of a classical music guy though
    Vieri Bottazzini

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    The p65 is a great back, congrats! Best transition is to shoot it a lot and test DOF for every scenario you can think of. Shooting a 60mp exposure will force you to become a better photographer.

Something I did that made a huge difference was quit using the viewfinder for a few outings. You'll be surprised what you learn.
    Ed - thanks very much for the heads-up. I've seen the difference in some initial testing, but I have a lot more to do. I'm in the Asheville NC area all week hanging out, so I'll get a chance to run some tests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice. Maybe the GetDPI MF blues.

Shelby Lewis

Ah... I left music completely for ten years... and now I'm back in it full time pursuing a doctorate in trumpet performance (emphasis baroque and jazz trumpet). Music continues to inform my photography (and likewise).

MF is a beast to learn, but well worth it when everything begins to fall into place. Congrats!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Ah... I left music completely for ten years... and now I'm back in it full time pursuing a doctorate in trumpet performance (emphasis baroque and jazz trumpet). Music continues to inform my photography (and likewise).

MF is a beast to learn, but well worth it when everything begins to fall into place. Congrats!!!
    Hey Shelby. Trumpet/Flugelhorn is my axe as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alan - after talking with Dave Gallagher I see that you weren't joking. Dave showed me a Cambo body with Schneider 35mm lens.

What are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah the inferno is getting hotter. LOL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

And so it begins.....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah the inferno is getting hotter. LOL
    Guy - I guess so. I did some shooting in North Carolina this past week, and I missed having the superwide. I can't do anything yet, but I can see the point now. :^}

The 28mm is an expensive lens, and it looks like I can buy the Cambo w/Schneider 35mm for almost the same price. Having the movements is great too.

I'll upload some samples soon. Just going through them in C1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Talking Re: Thanks everyone - got my New Old P65

Yea i am still rolling around in my head under 55mm LS, I'm full frame now things changed. I'm running a test next week and let you know what i find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 55 is not a super wide on MF -- it is a very, very nice light wide though.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    The 55 is not a super wide on MF -- it is a very, very nice light wide though.
    Jack - I've got the 45mm f/2.8 and so far it looks great. Previously I used the Nikon 14-24 quite a bit though, so I do like that range.