The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thanks everyone - got my New Old P65

mesposito

This is my first post...

Just wanted to say a special thanks to Guy, and Dave at Capture Integration, who both helped me make a major move from my Nikon D3x to a new Phase One 645DF and P65+.

They were instrumental in my decision, as was this forum.:cool:

Anyway, I've got a new 645DF body, a refurbed P65+, 80mm kit lens, 45mm D, and 150mm D. I do Fine Art/Landscape work. There are some other focal length's I'd like to fill, and your comments and experiences with lenses have been very helpful.

So maybe I'm a generation behind due to the awesome IQ Series stuff currently being delivered. Incredible UI, and a definite game changer. I don't feel in anyway behind though. Funny how last week's top-of-the-line - couldn't be beat, is this weeks piece-of-crap. :thumbdown: Not really huh? but it's easy to get sucked down that path. The reality of course is different. Right now buying the previous generation can be a fantastic entry point, especially when the back isn't tied to the body.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help.

vieri

Mark, as another former musician now turned a photographer hopelessly felt into MF Inferno (and for the moment being a fellow P65+ user too!), a big welcome to the club! :D

goesbang

Wow - a P65+ as your opening play? Impressive move. My P65+ is still my fave back, even though I now have an Aptus 12 and IQ180. No doubt this will change as I get used to the new backs but my point is that the P65+ is no slouch.
Enjoy, and never let us gear sluts put you down because you "only" have a P65+!
Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I very much appreciate your passion for this stuff. Now that I've got the systems and lenses I'm very happy with the fit.
Thanks Mark. I try really hard to figure ones needs that way no mistakes are made in the process. :salute:

Reality for me is I really like to help people and this for me is a form of teaching which is my secret passion.

mesposito

Mark, as another former musician now turned a photographer hopelessly felt into MF Inferno (and for the moment being a fellow P65+ user too!), a big welcome to the club! :D
Vieri,

Thanks very much for the welcome. I'll never completely leave music (Jazz in my case) but you can only do so many things in your life. I have to say that my training and artistic bent to music has helped me more than I can say in Photography. Learning to see is very much like learning to hear. That's another topic though. :rolleyes:

mesposito

If you want the most outta that P65+, you should take a look at a tech camera and digital lenses, IMO.
Alan,

Thanks. I assume you weren't joking. Since I'm no doubt out of dough, (or I would have bought Guy an IQ160 for his help) I'll pack away your advice for future reference. :^}

mesposito

Hee hee and so the relentless wallet emptying begins :ROTFL: :watch:
Graham,

The wallet she's empty! Actually, it got previously pretty emptied buying 35mm bodies and lenses, so at least that's a game I'm familiar with. Not that I'm winning the game, but I understand it. :^}

mesposito

Wow - a P65+ as your opening play? Impressive move. My P65+ is still my fave back, even though I now have an Aptus 12 and IQ180. No doubt this will change as I get used to the new backs but my point is that the P65+ is no slouch.
Enjoy, and never let us gear sluts put you down because you "only" have a P65+!
Cheers,
Thanks Siebel - actually I got a P65+ to start thanks to all of the IQ upgraders. That's not a put down. It's thanks! Otherwise I would have started at 40mp, and been less than happy with the crop when going superwide. I really think this is a unique time to move up.

One of the greatest aspects of buying the top is the fact that you lose all excuses. I love that!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Alan,

Thanks. I assume you weren't joking. Since I'm no doubt out of dough, (or I would have bought Guy an IQ160 for his help) I'll pack away your advice for future reference. :^}
I would work with this for awhile and get it all under your belt with processing and really knowing your back than tackle a tech cam down the road. I have yet to still buy one and its not so much the money, its not exactly my style of shooting. No reason to slam yourself with everything at once, this takes a good month just to get synced up between you and the gear.

Hey i'm the worst i want it all but still you have to have patience and know your system well. I see this a lot of the workshops with folks struggling to get it under control. Take your time

mesposito

I would work with this for awhile and get it all under your belt with processing and really knowing your back than tackle a tech cam down the road.
Right, thanks. I always take it slow with changes to my workflow. I need to own it before I add new things.

Very interesting point that might surprise some folks. My bag is lighter than it was with 35mm. With Nikon their best newer glass tends to be zooms. (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) These things are heavy. Add to that a TS for pano's and you're carrying a lot of weight. Obviously I could do the same with MF for another 10k, but for now it's kind of nice to start over and see what focal lengths I really need, and how much I was really getting out of zooms. I did some analysis in Lightroom, so I have some idea.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
One of the greatest aspects of buying the top is the fact that you lose all excuses. I love that!
:thumbs: That's so true and a great maxim to follow in many aspects of life.

Btw, I recommend browsing through the lessons learned about MF sticky thread here. http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18070. Coming from 35mm you'll almost certainly run into the depth of field differences with MF digital shooting - the biggest bugbear I know that I had to work through and adapt to when I moved over from shooting with my D3x.

dchew

Very interesting point that might surprise some folks. My bag is lighter than it was with 35mm.
Same here, and I switched from a 5D II which is not a heavy camera. Obviously the focal length range has been reduced in the transition from 35mm to MF (in my case a tech camera) But regardless, if I compare the weight of what I used to carry vs what I carry now, the MF bag is lighter.

Dave