The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another bad IQ180 back? Please NOO

cng

1. Even desktop computers and laptops have trouble dealing with an 80MP file. The IQ is doing all the processing in a form factor the size of a small book, so why expect supercomputer performance?

2. There is nothing to indicate (yet) that this is a substantive issue being experienced by the majority of IQ180 owners in a majority of shooting situations.

3. Anyone who sees this as an issue – or anything else for that matter – that won't be solved by PhaseOne is free to choose not to put their money down for an IQ180.

4. As Guy keeps pointing out, this is the bleeding edge. There are costs and compromises for choosing to participate in technology this extreme. See #3. If you want certainty, then spend less money and get a DSLR. But don't forget that even the DSLR manufacturers have released their share of faulty products.

5. I was thinking (and someone beat me to it) that ideally there should be a user-selectable option in the firmware to choose between fast previews that may be visually compromised and slower, more accurate previews.

woodyspedden

Having been guilty too many times of rushing out to be one of the early adopters of a new camera system I have to say that it would be wise for many folks to let "the dust settle" before plunking down $55 large for any new product whether from Phase, Leica, Hassy etc.

Inevitably there are trade-offs made when operating at the "bleeding edge." However most of those trade-offs aren't fully realized until the camera is out there in the hands of skilled folks who will push their limits.

Jack's images from Yosemite show the value that can be obtained from the IQ 180 but Ed Cooley's P65 shots are also wonderful and are without some of the issues of the IQ 180, at least for now.

I suspect that a year from now the guys and gals who need this tool will be successfully using it and these current issues will be long forgotten.

Woody

cs750

I agree that a user selectable option in the firmware to choose between fast previews or slower, but more accurate previews would be a very good thing. In my view it is unfortunate that the heading of this thread is "ANOTHER BAD BACK".

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Folks trust me on this one. This thread is being read by just about every Phase employee there is and a option here is not a bad idea and i am sure it could be done. Okay that was not from a engineer. I think anything can be done. LOL

Dan Santoso

I have done a couple real shooting since my last problem. No more pink square at ISO 35-400. I think it only happens with bad lighting condition and high ISO.

I do have 1 more complain.

I bought new Macbook Pro i7 2.2g 4gig ram. It takes 3-4 seconds to view 100% and when I scroll the preview,it takes another 3-4 seconds. This is unacceptable. Best macbook pro cant handle the file fast enough.

In the other hand my PC has faster viewing, around 2 seconds (8 gig, raid 0 10,000 RPM HD).

Phase One please fix this problem.

Guy Mancuso

You need 8gb of ram now if not more and C1 is core hungry so it will love quad cores better than duo by 53 percent. I'm living proof of that now. I had last years duo core and upgraded to quad cores and I increase raw processing by 53 percent. Guess what you just bought a 80 mpx camera and you NEED horsepower to run them.

Suggestion if you want to stay laptop. Here is what i have now and the 180 is fine on it

2011 MBP 15 inch 2.3 quad core with 8gb of ram and a OWC 256gb Extreme 6gb drive with a second spare drive in the optical bay.

If yours what you just bought is a quad core get 8gb of ram and get a SSD drive your pushing huge files now. Phase can't help you here this is simply a under power issue.

Also turn off Open CL in the preferences. Update to the latest C1 6.2.1 as well. Try all the none purchase stuff first

Don Libby

From a PC stand point I use a Dell Precision 6400 with 16GB RAM and a SSD for my primary HHD (second drive is still a spinner). Previewing the images from the So Rim after I downloaded them in the hotel was easy. C1 is running much faster now after the recent upgrade.

You don't just upgrade the camera you also upgrade the computer too. I overspent on my computers knowing that in time my camera gear will catch up. Studio computer is a Dell Precision 690 dual quad core with 56GB RAM. I can't wait to see what a 4-image stitch off the P65 is going to look like and how my computer will react.

Guy's right - think cores and RAM...

N

nightfire

Suggestion if you want to stay laptop. Here is what i have now and the 180 is fine on it
Guy - exactly how "fine" is C1 on a 2011 MBP compared to a quad-core Mac Pro?

I'm currently considering an upgrade from my current MBP to a 2011 MBP, but I wonder if getting a Mac Pro quad-core would be a smarter move. My MBP stays at home most of the time anyway, so I'd be willing to sacrifice flexibility if I get vastly superior performance in return.

Guy Mancuso

Well a Mac Pro with 8 cores or there new systems would certainly run better . C1 is very core dependent and also processor. So the more cores you can toss at it he better and the processors are faster in the MacPro's . My issue is i need a road machine so i pay dearly for speed. Now these new MBP will take 16gb of ram too and i will upgrade even further but 16gb is 1500.00 so not cheap.

But reality is if you had a choice than a MacPro would serve you better. But even my MBP runs the 180 files pretty darn good. This really comes down to what works best for you and if your at home or traveling. I will process jobs on the road that can get to 600 images or more. Not all high rez either but still a ton of processing time.

Now I will say my MBP will beat some of the older MacPros it is that fast. If speed is your issue than you need cores, processors and SSD drives help a great deal. Lets not forget graphics cards as well as they will render your previews.

Honestly since going to quads with even the same hard drives my raw processing speeds jumped 53 percent to the good. That is quite a feat. A 180 file full rez 16bit takes about 20 seconds . Question is how fast do you NEED to go. For many non Pros speed is not really a issue as your not having a client pushing you. So coffee breaks are great while you wait. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Dont tell my wife

Costs
MBP about 2800
SSD drive 600
optical Bay Hard drive and bracket 200
8gb of ram cheap 150 dollars or 16gb at 1500

Not exactly too expensive but your still going to need a SSD or want one and a load of Ram on a MacPro anyway so those numbers will be high as well. Although Ram is cheaper on the MacPros.

Guy Mancuso

The good news in all of this is C1 seems to get faster and faster with a lot of updates . This new version 6.2.1 got even faster, so they continue to optimize there software.

Dan Santoso

I am looking at SSD (vertex 3), and it costs 500 for 250gb ouch.

How much space does MAC OS take? Minus CS5, lightroom, and C1. I need to shoot tethered in location, 250GB is not enough.

480GB SSD costs 1700 haha.

My real option is to get memory upgrade (8gig) and maybe 7200RPM HD? (which is not recommended i heard because of heat n battery issues).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
:OT: Not sure where you're getting your SSD's from but macsales.com (OWC) sells the OWC Mercury Extreme 3G 480GB SSD's for $879. If you want 6G 480GB SSD then $1280.