The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF and Stage Work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well this darn 300mm 4.5 Mamiya is nailing everything in sight. Just one quickie have hundreds more. Interesting thing this was ISO 800 but I had a few that went under by a stop and at 1600 still damn good

Guy Mancuso

I may just get another back as a backup now and just kiss the Nikons away. This stuff is rocking my boat really well. Seriously i am so freaking happy with this finally have what I really wanted all along a HUGE sensor

D

ddk

Well this darn 300mm 4.5 Mamiya is nailing everything in sight. Just one quickie have hundreds more. Interesting thing this was ISO 800 but I had a few that went under by a stop and at 1600 still damn good
As I said before, I'm really impressed with your technique using this lens, so I have a couple of questions for you;

- What head are you using to shoot these with?

- Are you using mirror lockup, though I don't see how shooting moving targets?

If I may be bold to point out a little problem in your shots; you're cutting off the feet in most of what you've shown.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hey Guy,

Just thought I would point out that in the last image of your first batch you have what "appears" to be strong noise in the strongly saturated blue background. In fact I believe this to be artifacting from a conversion to sRGB where the blues captured in the cameras native color space was significantly outside the sRGB color space. If I'm wrong please let me know so I can adjust my reality :).

If you end up using that image for web I would be careful how you convert it. I suggest either
Rough and fast - Using the built in soft-proof in Capture One 4 by turning the output color space to sRGB and then adjusting saturation down until you don't see such artificating. OR
Fine and slow - Process (at least that file) with "embed camera profile", open in Photoshop, turn soft-proofing to sRGB and then use any of the color adjustment tools (e.g. Hue/Saturation set to adjust blues only) to bring the blues back within your output gamut.

You could also experiment with different rendering intents in Photoshop at the time of color space conversion. It appears to me as if your color conversion was done with relative or absolute colormetric rather than perceptual, but it is hard to tell after the fact.

Doug Peterson
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

Guy Mancuso

Not sure what you mean by head but no flash gear here all stage lighting with tungsten settings. I do have plenty with feet. LOL. But no mirror lockup . Shooting at 1/250 at F5 on almost all of these runway shots with the 300mm and the new Phase body and P25 plus back on a monopod.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What is impressing me here is this stuff is tungsten and the skin tones are bang on which is very rare to see great skin tones shooting tungsten and I did not even WB these. No camera i ever had did this well in tungsten.

Thanks Helen
As I've pointed out several times on this forum per-channel-dynamic-range is the single most undervalued aspect of IQ. Tunsten light grossly underexposes the blue channel on a "good" exposure. By bringing the white balance back toward neutral you are giving a "push" to the blue channel. In this case I imagine you were asking your blue channel to perform in the ISO 1600-3200 range (a healthy dose of C14 color noise reduction would not be unwelcome here). Dynamic range and color accuracy will show up first in the blue channel in tungsten light (or sun-rise).

LJL

Nice captures, Guy. Glad that this system is meeting your expectations. Not as fast as the DSLRs, but then it is capable of delivering more, and images have a very nice look to them also. That is important.

With respect to any noise, I really think that could be cleaned up nicely with some of the selective tools like Dfine (Nik Software), where you can paint in the areas you want to have the noise reduced, plus have control over type of reduction also. That would only become an issue if some of these shots were going to be printed/displayed very large, like one sees in cosmetic/fashion displays, or possibly for a poster. However, since the main subject is looking good, the rest would only be to remove distractions in the background.

Looks like the 300 is giving a nice perspective for these shots also. May be harder to work with, but it looks worth the effort. Keep after it.

LJ

David K

Workshop Member
Doug, (or anybody that knows)
I think I already know the answer to this but just in case... It's not setting the back to tungsten that challenges the blue channel, it's the actual light itself... right? In other words, if one inadvertently shot in sunlight with the back set to Tungsten, aside from needing to adjust the color balance in post you haven't "lost" anything.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, (or anybody that knows)
I think I already know the answer to this but just in case... It's not setting the back to tungsten that challenges the blue channel, it's the actual light itself... right? In other words, if one inadvertently shot in sunlight with the back set to Tungsten, aside from needing to adjust the color balance in post you haven't "lost" anything.
Correct. Setting the WB on the back incorrectly cannot be detrimental to the raw file.

The problem is the content of the light. In daylight the light is evenly spread throughout the visible spectrum. Tungsten contains more red light than blue light, so the blue channel is underexposed, a reality obfuscated by adjusting the white balance and thereby pushing the blue channel and pulling the red channel.

*Signing off for the weekend. Have a good one everyone!

Doug Peterson
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

D

ddk

Not sure what you mean by head but no flash gear here all stage lighting with tungsten settings. I do have plenty with feet. LOL. But no mirror lockup . Shooting at 1/250 at F5 on almost all of these runway shots with the 300mm and the new Phase body and P25 plus back on a monopod.
I wasn't thinking about about a monopod, I thought that you're using a tripod so was wondering about the head.

I'm not really familiar with the Mamiya 300mm or the new Phase camera, but between the Contax's mirror slap and the sheer mass of the Contax 350mm lens, getting sharp images is very difficult, its much easier using the 210mm with the Mutar. I'm thinking that the Mamiya 300mm is also a massive lens and/or the mirror is better damped in the new camera than the older generations.

Yes some have feet! LOL

K

K3N

Wow, really great results. Very smooth and nice look to the file. Like the way the lens draws the background as well.

Don Libby

I just double checked and saw that you're using the new Phase body (got one on order as well). While I don't shoot runway (might be nice change of landscape) I will shoot the occasional wildlife ; I'd equate the movement just about the same (did that make sense?). It appears that the AF is much faster with little hunting around. Nice work!

don

Guy Mancuso

Here are some more with the 300mm at ISO 800 and maybe even a little under on some and pulled back. I actually goofed at one point and was about 2 stops under and still pulled some out

Terry

Guy these look really good. I like the way the OOF areas are rendered with that lens and your choice of aperture.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Photos look good Guy. Tough assignment:D:D:D. You are really putting the back to work for you .
Are you using the Make Web Contact Sheet in Capture One to quickly provide your clients with previews of their images?
Or are you going to wait to bring them back to the studio to edit and process.
Also you are shooting in IIQS for highest performance and smallest RAW file size right?
L

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Lance did not use the make web. I honestly went through about 2 k in images and processed one by one straight to jpegs for the screen. Having great WB made it very easy and only real adjustments I made was exposure but I make a adjustment on one copy that than apply to all . Than just rip at it until I have to make a exposure adjustment gain and repeat. C1 can be very fast at processing when you need it to be. I did shoot everything IIQS which is a compressed raw file and that does speed up the shooting and makes the back a touch faster and honestly I see NO difference than the loseless L setting. I found a couple things makes this system faster one is short latency, the IIQS setting and on AF the camera will track focus when using the half press. Not Nikon or Canon fast but right in there with like the 5D which is pretty darn good in my book. But I am really liking the new body. i do wish they spread out the AF points a little better . I did run into focusing issues with the bathing suits because mot times you are having the focus point on the belly of someone and like water noting to really create a contrast difference but only had a issues a few times and still very happy how it performed. Yes the back got a workout but really the new body really was worked pretty hard and i feel very confident in it's performance so far.

David K

Workshop Member
2k medium format images... whew... beautiful girls or not that's a lot of work. Since you're on the road I assume you're using your laptop. Do you find it up to the job... I think you've got one of the Mac Book Pro's with 4GB memory IIRC. Whatever you're doing it looks very good. The image at the top of this page is striking.